Whats the scoop?
What did they do and why?
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
With the knuckles came some software changes. Would be curious as to why they changed it in the last year. The knuckle is common with the GT500 with some machining required. So, you would think cost savings. But of that were the case, they would have used it on all GT350s. Sounds like it improves road manners but then why not use it across the line? Im not sure how to quantify Driver confidence. Any 350 inspires confidence. The only thing I can come up with is the base 350 received modifications in 19 that cut the track deficit to older R models in half. the 15 through 18 R are still faster and that deficit being cut in half may leave a perception that the base is just as capable as the R. The 19R did receive updates to braking but it was never publicized. So, is it just throwing a bone to the R crowd after being ignored in 19? May have to do some digging

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Tim, can you elaborate on what changes you believe took place to the braking system on the '19R?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Tim, can you elaborate on what changes you believe took place to the braking system on the '19R?
The 19R received ABS updated software, more agressive

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 19R received ABS updated software, more agressive
My apologies, as I didn't exclude software. I was speaking to any hardware in the system and as far as I knew there were zero brake hardware changes until '20.

And they ditched the drilled rotors
I spoke about this long ago after learning about it from people in the program. There never was a performance benefit to the drilled rotors in this application yet the engineers lost the argument against it to the individual above them that wanted them regardless. When that individual left Ford the drilled rotors were gone as well.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
My apologies, as I didn't exclude software. I was speaking to any hardware in the system and as far as I knew there were zero brake hardware changes until '20.

I spoke about this long ago after learning about it from people in the program. There never was a performance benefit to the drilled rotors in this application yet the engineers lost the argument against it to the individual above them that wanted them regardless. When that individual left Ford the drilled rotors were gone as well.
No apology needed. The non drill rotors are an upgrade to me. Not performance wise but as a racer, I hate them because they tend to crack. They also are harder on pads. To do a true drilled rotor that is an advantage, the maker has to have a way to chamfer the inner area of the hole and I am not sure who does that. No other hardware changes as you noted. But software changes can be significant

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The software changes in '19 were significant. That said, I believe there were calibration tweaks over the production run in the VDM as well as the ABS modules. They just weren't as prominent as '19 or '20 for that matter.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
The increase in caster has remedied the nervous, on-center tramlining. The 305s do contribute some, but you can one hand the wheel much more than on the previous cars. No more twitchyness.

Sponsored

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
Rack and Knuckles from the GT500
Nmp1 thanks for posting the video. Seeing the difference in the knuckles is better than reading about the differences! Much clearer for me now. :like:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nmp1 thanks for posting the video. Seeing the difference in the knuckles is better than reading about the differences! Much clearer for me now. :like:
If you liked that one, here's another one I did that illustrates the change made even more.

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
If you liked that one, here's another one I did that illustrates the change made even more.

saw those videos a while ago, well done. only good description/comparison about the 2020R knuckles, other than "upgraded steering". this seems to be a reoccurring question as Ford didn't cover it very well.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have to be continually pushed. Armed with what you see in those two videos I'd hope somebody would press a vehicle dynamics engineer any time they have the opportunity. Those are the type of breakdowns that should have been filmed and included on the flash drive included in the owner's kits. They did do a good job in some areas but were silent with others. GT500 owners got some great details on the DCT but that was about as far as it went.

Early on Ford spoke about a couple dozen measures that were implemented to quell vibration, etc, for the Voodoo but they never broke down what they were. Such as the ~13lbs of damper weight at the transmission crossmember or how the exhaust system was addressed. They had a great opportunity to detail the knuckle/steering changes on the '20R and they did very little other than a sentence or two in an article here or there.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The increase in caster has remedied the nervous, on-center tramlining. The 305s do contribute some, but you can one hand the wheel much more than on the previous cars. No more twitchyness.
... and so will changing the tires.... with the Coopers on the freeway, I can literally hold the wheel with one finger. No tramlining at all. I know I sound repetitive, but it's all in the tires... Mine is a 2016.
Sponsored