Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium
Completely agree.

Said Deep (Head of North America Product Communications at Ford) mentioned that if there's enough backlash from the Mustang community it would consider using a different name for this electric SUV.

So let them hear it, I know I will.
The fact that it requires "enough backlash" for it to not happen tells me just how little they actually care about it. I don't know whose idea it was, or who backed it, but they need to be relieved of duty immediately. Completely stupid. Not sure that I can say that enough.

What's hilarious too, is I don't think there would be so much as a murmur of disagreement with the potential product if they threw any other name on it..

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Don't piss on the Mach1 name. NO SUV should be called Mach1. Mustang only. Isn't there anyone original working there anymore? Shoot, seems like a 2 minute meeting and one could come up with a unique name thats just as exciting, to call this SUV.

Mach1 is a mustang and it should be fast as hell if electrified AWD. I wont buy unless it unless it rips...so Ford, if your listing to us. Don't mess this up. It will be hard to mess it up, but I can see you doing it.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I've been a Mustang guy, always. On my 6th one. I even owned a 71 Mach 1 in the 90's.

FORD - Goddamnit. Get your heads out of your asses.

If I can't buy a V8 Mustang, I'll have to buy a f*king Camaro.

Get it together.

Sponsored

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
Let's face it. NO GT 500 at NAIAS. So sad and pissed that I've spent $ to go to it this week. (industry day). If Chicago isn't the launch I'll consider the Lebanon Ford option of a blown 18 GT with PP2. Really disappointed given the build up.

Show me something Ford that makes me want to write a check! Chevy keeps putting out good stuff (ZL1, ZR1) but I can't afford a ZR1 and a ZL1 is like driving a chopped Merc.
I've been looking for ANY info on possible specs on a "Lebanon Ford" Blown option on a 18' 10 speed Mustang GT...if you found ANY info please provide link...:hail:...back to the topic at hand, Mach1 has always been associated specifically with Mustang, THAT better not change! JMHO

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I just came to a scary realization...

1. S650, originally slated for 2021, cancelled
2. Mach 1 name being used
3. Mustang + Explorer transforming into a “mustang-flavored CUV”
4. Due to arrive 2021

Could this be the end of the mustang? Could these possibly be signs that the mustang platform will disappear and be replaced by “a whole new platform” called the Mach 1 (to pay homage to the mustang it killed) that will appeal to a larger audience??

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Guys, I just came to a scary realization...

1. S650, originally slated for 2021, cancelled
2. Mach 1 name being used
3. Mustang + Explorer transforming into a “mustang-flavored CUV”
4. Due to arrive 2021

Could this be the end of the mustang? Could these possibly be signs that the mustang platform will disappear and be replaced by “a whole new platform” called the Mach 1 (to pay homage to the mustang it killed) that will appeal to a larger audience??
Wow that is scary, but I see where one could interpret it that way. If they killed the Mustang I would never buy another Ford. (and at 59 I have never owed anything but Fords).

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s sort of a bizarre thought, but it could happen. It’s almost happened before, and with the violent shift in the market to crossovers, it seems more likely now than ever. I agree though... without Mustang, there is no reason for me to buy Ford

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
And another thing...does it make ANY sense whatsoever to use a 50 year old name (Mach1) for a new forward thinking electric SUV. I just don't see that it would mean anything to younger customers that this vehicle would be targeted to. And it would just piss off those of us that are older and can relate to the name!!!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, I AM a younger customer (21 and onto my second mustang) and I’m livid!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Wow that is scary, but I see where one could interpret it that way. If they killed the Mustang I would never buy another Ford. (and at 59 I have never owed anything but Fords).
I would have a hard time imagining Ford not producing a Mustang model over the next decade or so and have been very fortunate to have owned at least one Mustang or more from all 6 generations.

Having said that and being ~8 years older than you I would also look to another automotive brand for future purchases if Ford killed the Mustang model.

Again, I can't see that happening but if it did I would certainly move on to another automotive brand based on pure principal and most importantly not having access to new models of the best Pony car ever assembled.

:cheers:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I've been looking for ANY info on possible specs on a "Lebanon Ford" Blown option on a 18' 10 speed Mustang GT...if you found ANY info please provide link...:hail:...back to the topic at hand, Mach1 has always been associated specifically with Mustang, THAT better not change! JMHO
Save yourself 15 to 20k and get the GT supercharged or get the motor built so it can handle 1000hp and take the car to the extreme for the same money.
Sponsored