Sponsored

2020 Mach 1!

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Its not a Mustang. It will be its own model model. Not a hybrid. All electric.
Didn't he mention something about getting the V8 sound with the electric acceleration? Maybe they'll just simulate the v8 sound? :D

Just re-watched the video...when the door opens, you hear a Mustang crank up @ 38 seconds.

JZ150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Rapid Red
I wasn’t disagreeing with what was said. Who is he? I think it’ll be a hybrid
sorry didn’t mean that I was disagreeing with you. Guess I hit quote and didn’t realize it.

He started a site pickup trucks.com then was eventually hired by ford

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Well context clues tells me it will be a Mustang. S650 hybrid already announced, Mach 1 was a type of Mustang, then the V8 which currently only comes in the mustang and F150, that all adds up to a hybrid V8 Mustang Mach 1 if you ask me. Now whether or not the Mach 1 name will be used like the ecoboost name is to be determined.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Jalopnik said:
"Update Jan 14 6:00 p.m. est: Mike Levine clarified his tweet in a message to Jalopnik, saying Ford is “researching the name Mach 1 to see how customers respond,” for a high performance battery electric SUV."
So it sounds like the Mach 1 is for sure going to be a V8 hybrid Mustang...but they're testing the idea of putting the same set up in an Explorer and sharing the name??

Levine also clarified on Twitter:
High performance battery electric SUV inspired by a sports car and utility

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh I was excited for a hybrid mustang. V8 power + electric motors, sounded awesome. Now it's a SUV? With the Mach1 nameplate? WTF Ford.
Well the S650 was supposed to come with a hybrid so I don't think we're that far off from seeing a hybrid mustang and the announcement didn't explicitly say it was going to be an SUV or a car so it could be one of them or a new trim for both.

edit » completely missed the above post which puts a bit of a damper on it...unless it is a super low slung SUV coupe...like an X6 style SUV but lower.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Mike Levine is the North America communications manager for Ford Trucks. He’s the guy you see introduce and launch most of the full size trucks and the Raptor. I think he probably has a fairly good idea what it is. Even his quote is confusing, but it does read more to me as a full out EV a performance vehicle.

Either way, as a 2020 it’s not like it’s around the corner.

I also did hear from a good source that the GT500 had a delay. Maybe Chicago will be it

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
It’s a full EV. Check his Twitter

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
It’s a pure EV performance SUV. Confirmed by Mike Levine. No hybrid V8. Unless they have something else up their sleeves

JZ150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Rapid Red
Levine cleaned up his tweet saying its a high performance battery electric SUV inspired by a sports car and utility. Guess that help? Hope it’s not like the ugly BMW SUV car like thing. Even the M version can’t make that thing look good.

Levine also said Ford is testing the Mach 1 name for it.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Based on Ford's history, legacy and heritage I would suggest that there is no way that they would consider a Mustang with only a 4 cylinder engine as a hybrid whether it is FI or NA.

In the history of the Mustang which goes back some ~53 years there was only one year that Ford did not produce a production V8 in a Mustang and that was during the 1974 MY.

I am suggesting that Ford will not go down that same road again!

;)
I’m not suggesting no V8, that’d be crazy. I was suggesting the hybrid could be using the turbo 4 not a V8. I sure would like to see the acceleration a V8 and batteries power the front wheels could do though. I was just thinking packaging for the V8 would be very difficult but they’d probably use the trunk either way.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The hybrid Mustang is still coming but it is unrelated to this news. Looks like the Mach 1 name will be repurposed to be a full-on electric performance SUV built on a separate platform.
Sponsored