2020 GT500 Handling Package

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
This is good information, and perhaps it's better to have the adjustable hats installed and set within factory specs, as to be sure they alignment is perfect. Also, they would be in place just incase you find yourself making a surprised visit to a track event :sunglasses:
Exactly!!! Mine will be dealer installed, set to factory camber settings and immediately available for track setting adjustment. Ultimately, this will give your car more flexibility and value as opposed to uninstalled factory adjustable hats.

Also, I was concerned regarding front splitter/wicker clearance in my urban environment. I went for a drive with the GSM in a 2019 GT350R and conducted a clearance test of all hill bases, speed humps and driveways applicable to my home. Confirmed - NO PROBLEM!!!
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly!!! Mine will be dealer installed, set to factory camber settings and immediately available for track setting adjustment. Ultimately, this will give your car more flexibility and value as opposed to uninstalled factory adjustable hats.

Also, I was concerned regarding front splitter/wicker clearance in my urban environment. I went for a drive with the GSM in a 2019 GT350R and conducted a clearance test of all hill bases, speed humps and driveways applicable to my home. Confirmed - NO PROBLEM!!!
Good news Ron! New England roads leave a lot to be desired and I feel your pain. I installed an AirLift 3H on my last car which gave me the best of both worlds. When I approached a questionable entry/exit I aired up real quick, then back to set height all while driving. I'm gonna miss that flexibility.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
E: Happen to have a link to a diagram of the entire strut to show what the adjustable top mounts accomplish? I can't find much on the Web.
These adjustable strut top mounts are similar to aftermarket units but are only single adjustable. Caster is more or less fixed. So what you have is a pair of plates that index up from under the strut tower (through non slotted holes) that are then fastened to the tower. These allow moving the top of the strut in towards the engine (increasing negative camber) or outward (decreasing negative camber). Note the slots in the plates...
20190715_202632.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Have they re-engineered the camber plates to be an "on the fly" adjustment? With most aftermarket plates, a change in camber also affects tow settings. Essentially, a change in camber would require a whole new front end alignment because it would alter your tow setting.

My guess is not.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Have they re-engineered the camber plates to be an "on the fly" adjustment? With most aftermarket plates, a change in camber also affects tow settings. Essentially, a change in camber would require a whole new front end alignment because it would alter your tow setting.

My guess is not.
Would have to reengineer the knuckle to relocate the steering geometry. Not sure that can be done on a Mustang....

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I cant tell you how many times I've heard people tell me that they have their camber marked and switch from track to street for track days....I then ask them about toe and they're like ?>??

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I cant tell you how many times I've heard people tell me that they have their camber marked and switch from track to street for track days....I then ask them about toe and they're like ?>??
Guess it depends how off their toe was to begin with?
Increasing camber will cause the toe to move out on a Mustang. So the car will tend to be “darty” with a steering input. Maybe they feel this and think it’s a good thing caused by the camber...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Unless you are running a very high negative camber, I would just leave the track alignment.... especially if it was the factory recommended numbers. I don't chew up my tires on the street, but my alignment is close to the factory because it works very well on the track I frequent.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
For a car used more on the street then the track, and to use the specs for the Base/-2.0* or CFTP/-2.25*, you are definitely gonna see the inside of your tires get wiped out before the outside. I've done alignments on Fox chassis, S197, and S550 cars and seen the same thing every time. Once you approach -2* you are unnecessarily giving up tire life on the street. Just for a visual, here's a Fox era chassis that I recently did an alignment on. This is only -1.125* of negative camber...

IMG_6187-XL.jpg

20190815_183919-X2.jpg

If I were seriously tracking a 2020 GT500 I wouldn't be screwing around with the factory camber only plates. The slickest setup I've seen to date is what Multimatic makes for the GT4 cars (which FR copied for the FP350S). All you have to do is to move shims from one to the other to make camber changes and they are entirely consistent. You'd still be stringing your car for toe at the track but if you know what you're doing it is easy as pie.

IMG_5743-XL.jpg

The pictured version isn't for mag dampers but I'm sure they can whip up any request - they aren't cheap though.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
IMG_5743-XL.jpg

The pictured version isn't for mag dampers but I'm sure they can whip up any request - they aren't cheap though.
That's a strange way to safety wire the mount. There are a lot better ways of doing it.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I just got off the phone with a dealer in VA that had just received a GT500 and they confirmed that the car had the splitter wickers, gurney flap and oil/air separator in the trunk, I talked to their parts guy and he said that he had not seen the adj strut mounts, so that is still an unknown.

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
I just got off the phone with a dealer in VA that had just received a GT500 and they confirmed that the car had the splitter wickers, gurney flap and oil/air separator in the trunk, I talked to their parts guy and he said that he had not seen the adj strut mounts, so that is still an unknown.
Earl; Can you expl
Earl; Can you explain to a layman like me if the "factory" will set the struts for "street use" as I have the handling package on order but Iam not going to race the car. Also how would you explain the function of the oil/separator???? I have no clue what that even is.

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Earl; Can you expl
Earl; Can you explain to a layman like me if the "factory" will set the struts for "street use" as I have the handling package on order but Iam not going to race the car. Also how would you explain the function of the oil/separator???? I have no clue what that even is.
Sponsored