2020 GT500 confirmed orders

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Looking for some guidance on timing and I apologize if this is posted elsewhere.

1. Estimated start of Gt500 production?
2. Production time?
3. Monthly production capacity?
4. How long from DORA to expect, VIN, production date and delivery estimate?

Thank you all for your knowledge and experience.
Sponsored

FourStangs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
67 GT500, 68 GT500 Convertible, 69 Boss 429, 70 Mach 1, 2020 GT500 CFTP
This golden ticket crap has gone to far. I've said it all along, they will not make the CFTP in "all you can eat" numbers. It is an allocated trim option (just like the R). Your dealer would have had to be allocated the CFTP for it to be placed in the computer and receive a successful order confirmation.

In the early years of the GT350, dealers were able to order R's with no allocation. The dealer would take the deposit, knowing damn well they didn't have the allocation and hope for the best. The result was a lot of pissed off people. Time would go on, and people would never get thier order pulled for build because the dealer never had the allocation to begin with. Ford fixed the problem by not allowing dealers to order an allocated trim package that they have not been awarded into the computer. I believe this is where people here are reporting "ford denied my CFTP". No, Ford didnt deny anything. The dealership never had the allocation to begin with. This is where people are now hitting the brick wall so to speak. Dealerships have been taking deposits for the CFTP and now when push comes to shove, they cant place the order into the computer (As it should be). The train wreck is stopped right there and nobody is waiting on a car that will never be built.

So many have run off to the the Midwest to get good deals on the new GT500. Thats great and I'm happy for you if you got a good deal. However the CFTP is allocated based upon sales. The so called "golden ticket" dealers are nothing but high sales dealerships that have moved a lot of cars in the past and they are rewarded by these limited allocations. The 1200 or so target CFTP cars are just that, a target. I've never seen Ford miss a target, in fact they usually produce more in the model year. Those leftover slots, or allocations are usually assigned later in the year to various dealerships through the Ford regional reps.

Now, my concern is production capability based upon what I know now. I just spoke to a friend over at Ford, and I believe he told me that right now, they are running one shift at Flat Rock. That will have to change, and im sure it will as production gets closer. As many of you know, the winter is a problem. Any car with soft R compound tires will not be manufactured during the Michigan winter. Why? The tires crack. Ask me how I know (that's a whole other story).

Anyway all you people.sceeaming that the sky is falling need to relax and take a deep breath. If you have am order confirmation for a CFTP, you are set. When will you get it? Ha! Now that's another question based upon many different variables. I waited almost a year and a half for one of my 2017 GT350Rs.
Great info Tom! Since my dealer was able to enter my order into the computer yesterday do you think that I’m “in” with a CFTP? The Sales Manager said “I can enter it in and I’ll let you know if Ford accepts it”.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Looking for some guidance on timing and I apologize if this is posted elsewhere.

1. Estimated start of Gt500 production?
2. Production time?
3. Monthly production capacity?
4. How long from DORA to expect, VIN, production date and delivery estimate?

Thank you all for your knowledge and experience.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but this could be a long time. I was the #3 guy at my dealership for one of my 2017 GT350Rs. I waited almost a year and a half. You are going to drive yourself nuts if you preoccupy your time with this or think that you can control it in any way. One thing is for sure, nothing is going to happen in the immediate future. Stay tuned here and when people start reporting VIN assignments, then you can start thinking about it. My routine was call Ford Performance once a week to inquire on your status. Usually Fridays are best. Don't be one of those guys calling several times a week. Anyway, I could go on and one, but one thing to say is that be patient. This could be a while. Ask me how I know.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Great info Tom! Since my dealer was able to enter my order into the computer yesterday do you think that I’m “in” with a CFTP? The Sales Manager said “I can enter it in and I’ll let you know if Ford accepts it”.
You know you are set if you get a DORA. But yes, if your order was accepted by ford, then you should be set.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks for the insight Tom, I hope that since I am #1 from my dealer that it will decrease some of the time to wait. This is a huge purchase for me, this car costs more then the last 3 cars ive bought combined. Needless to say I am excited to get behind the wheel and get the "pumpkin" in my garage.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
This golden ticket crap has gone to far. I've said it all along, they will not make the CFTP in "all you can eat" numbers. It is an allocated trim option (just like the R). Your dealer would have had to be allocated the CFTP for it to be placed in the computer and receive a successful order confirmation.

In the early years of the GT350, dealers were able to order R's with no allocation. The dealer would take the deposit, knowing damn well they didn't have the allocation and hope for the best. The result was a lot of pissed off people. Time would go on, and people would never get thier order pulled for build because the dealer never had the allocation to begin with. Ford fixed the problem by not allowing dealers to order an allocated trim package that they have not been awarded into the computer. I believe this is where people here are reporting "ford denied my CFTP". No, Ford didnt deny anything. The dealership never had the allocation to begin with. This is where people are now hitting the brick wall so to speak. Dealerships have been taking deposits for the CFTP and now when push comes to shove, they cant place the order into the computer (As it should be). The train wreck is stopped right there and nobody is waiting on a car that will never be built.

So many have run off to the the Midwest to get good deals on the new GT500. Thats great and I'm happy for you if you got a good deal. However the CFTP is allocated based upon sales. The so called "golden ticket" dealers are nothing but high sales dealerships that have moved a lot of cars in the past and they are rewarded by these limited allocations. The 1200 or so target CFTP cars are just that, a target. I've never seen Ford miss a target, in fact they usually produce more in the model year. Those leftover slots, or allocations are usually assigned later in the year to various dealerships through the Ford regional reps.

Now, my concern is production capability based upon what I know now. I just spoke to a friend over at Ford, and I believe he told me that right now, they are running one shift at Flat Rock. That will have to change, and im sure it will as production gets closer. As many of you know, the winter is a problem. Any car with soft R compound tires will not be manufactured during the Michigan winter. Why? The tires crack. Ask me how I know (that's a whole other story).

Anyway all you people.sceeaming that the sky is falling need to relax and take a deep breath. If you have am order confirmation for a CFTP, you are set. When will you get it? Ha! Now that's another question based upon many different variables. I waited almost a year and a half for one of my 2017 GT350Rs.
It's really an unfortunate situation. Seems as you stated they fixed the ordering w/o allocation part, but I think ford could have gotten a little more creative with the rest of it. Similar to the R situation, a dealer could have this "golden ticket" and hold the car hostage for top dollar. Another approach could have been something similar to Ford GT allocation, or really, any special private offer that they do on normal vehicles. For example, The GT350 Track Tour in 2015 invited previous 12/13 Boss owners and/or track attack attendees and 13/14 GT500 owners. It's clear they have a list or a database of those core enthusiasts...perhaps sort of a hybrid or combo of the ford GT process mixed with a code (like the private offers they send you if you sign up at an event or inquire for a brochure etc..) Not a perfect solution, but some outside the box thinking could have made it more likely to get these into the hands of some of their dedicated enthusiasts..Obviously, if these were open order 99% of dealers would order this option. Like Raptors and other specialty vehicles, dealers know they are going to sell it so they check every box and load them up.

as for the DORA questions, they are automatically generated in the reports dealers get the following morning in the parts packing slips and all the vehicle orders and their status.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It's really an unfortunate situation. Seems as you stated they fixed the ordering w/o allocation part, but I think ford could have gotten a little more creative with the rest of it. Similar to the R situation, a dealer could have this "golden ticket" and hold the car hostage for top dollar. Another approach could have been something similar to Ford GT allocation, or really, any special private offer that they do on normal vehicles. For example, The GT350 Track Tour in 2015 invited previous 12/13 Boss owners and/or track attack attendees and 13/14 GT500 owners. It's clear they have a list or a database of those core enthusiasts...perhaps sort of a hybrid or combo of the ford GT process mixed with a code (like the private offers they send you if you sign up at an event or inquire for a brochure etc..) Not a perfect solution, but some outside the box thinking could have made it more likely to get these into the hands of some of their dedicated enthusiasts..Obviously, if these were open order 99% of dealers would order this option. Like Raptors and other specialty vehicles, dealers know they are going to sell it so they check every box and load them up.

as for the DORA questions, they are automatically generated in the reports dealers get the following morning in the parts packing slips and all the vehicle orders and their status.
This "golden ticket" stuff has to stop. Its not a golden ticket. Allocations are awarded based upon sales. The more you sell, the more allocations you get. That certainly is not a golden ticket, but instead it is a reward for selling X amount of cars. Take the GT350 for example, dealers would be allocated X number of GT350's based upon X amount of mustang sales. An X number of R models were allocated based upon X number of GT350 allocations.

It is a business model. Top sellers for Ford are rewarded for sales numbers. There is not golden ticket. Who came up with this term?

You make some very good points about some of the flaws in the system. Yes, these rare limited allocations can and are commonly sold for top dollar. However, remember this is a reward to the dealerships for past performance. This is a business model, not a fair and balanced way to spread these kinds of cars around so that everyone can have one. I don't want to start an ADM sub thread here, but this is supply and demand. There is nothing fair about any of this. "Fair" shouldn't even be considered. Life isn't fair.

A dealer gets allocations for sales performance. He can sell that car for whatever he wants. This problem is common in the entire auto industry and not specific to Ford. If the car is a smash hit, it will sell over sticker. If it is a flop, it will sell under sticker. Supply and demand, that simple. Fair has nothing to do with any of this.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
One more kink in the whole "trying to estimate when you will get your car" plan is: Even if you were the first person in the country to get your order into the order bank, that means absolutely nothing in regards to how fast you get the car. If it hasn't changed, the regional reps are the ones that select which dealers get their cars released(built), first. A local HUGE dealership here was getting 350Rs really early and mine was one of the last ones to be built for 16...I waited 11 months for the car.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
One more kink in the whole "trying to estimate when you will get your car" plan is: Even if you were the first person in the country to get your order into the order bank, that means absolutely nothing in regards to how fast you get the car. If it hasn't changed, the regional reps are the ones that select which dealers get their cars released(built), first. A local HUGE dealership here was getting 350Rs really early and mine was one of the last ones to be built for 16...I waited 11 months for the car.
And which huge dealership was that? :) :handsinair:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Am I supposed to say? :) Are you getting yours over this side? If it's the same dealer, that makes your story even more entertaining because...I could only imagine.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Am I supposed to say? :) Are you getting yours over this side? If it's the same dealer, that makes your story even more entertaining because...I could only imagine.
No, the other huge dealer I guess. Its kind of funny you brought donuts. Yesterday, I brought over the Makers Mark and the Ron Zacapa.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
This "golden ticket" stuff has to stop. Its not a golden ticket. Allocations are awarded based upon sales. The more you sell, the more allocations you get. That certainly is not a golden ticket, but instead it is a reward for selling X amount of cars. Take the GT350 for example, dealers would be allocated X number of GT350's based upon X amount of mustang sales. An X number of R models were allocated based upon X number of GT350 allocations.

It is a business model. Top sellers for Ford are rewarded for sales numbers. There is not golden ticket. Who came up with this term?

You make some very good points about some of the flaws in the system. Yes, these rare limited allocations can and are commonly sold for top dollar. However, remember this is a reward to the dealerships for past performance. This is a business model, not a fair and balanced way to spread these kinds of cars around so that everyone can have one. I don't want to start an ADM sub thread here, but this is supply and demand. There is nothing fair about any of this. "Fair" shouldn't even be considered. Life isn't fair.

A dealer gets allocations for sales performance. He can sell that car for whatever he wants. This problem is common in the entire auto industry and not specific to Ford. If the car is a smash hit, it will sell over sticker. If it is a flop, it will sell under sticker. Supply and demand, that simple. Fair has nothing to do with any of this.
the term came from another thread discussing Jim Owens.

I totally get what you are saying about it being a business model and also about rewarding dealers that perform well...and I don't have a problem with that part of it. If I was a dealer and moved a lot of product, I'd expect a little something from ford for it. Problem is many times these guys go a little crazy with the ADM and it can ruin a product. (Focus RS comes to mind) and it drives people to competitors and therefore big picture is a negative. It comes back to the dealers are really the OE's customer, not you or me. It's not about fair or unfair. I never understood why Detroit thinks the guy walking into a store to buy a GT350/R 500/TP only to be told no will walk out happy with a different mustang.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
the term came from another thread discussing Jim Owens.

I totally get what you are saying about it being a business model and also about rewarding dealers that perform well...and I don't have a problem with that part of it. If I was a dealer and moved a lot of product, I'd expect a little something from ford for it. Problem is many times these guys go a little crazy with the ADM and it can ruin a product. (Focus RS comes to mind) and it drives people to competitors and therefore big picture is a negative. It comes back to the dealers are really the OE's customer, not you or me. It's not about fair or unfair. I never understood why Detroit thinks the guy walking into a store to buy a GT350/R 500/TP only to be told no will walk out happy with a different mustang.
I agree with you. This process hasn't been easy for me either. I almost wound up not getting this car over an issue. However that is another story.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I wanted a Carbon Fiber Track Pack GT500 but was unable to get one. I still feel fortunate just to be able to get a base model GT500.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just updated my order to get the 10K painted on stripes. Ouch.
Sponsored