Sponsored

Updated pistons and ring packs for MY18+

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby gt350
I’ve gotten reliable information from 2 different sources that there has been some silent but very big changes to the rotating assembly of the voodoo motor starting with MY18.

I’m trying to track down more info as far as build dates etc would be concerned but may never narrow it all the way down. Depends on how forthcoming I can get these sources to be and if they will allow me to publicly name sources.

The changes I’ve been told are to the pistons and ring packs.

The pistons have been modified to tighten up the piston to wall clearance to alleviate the slap that has been a known issue that even ford issued a TSB about. I myself have noticed on my car that there is very little slap that you would have to put your head in the wheel well to hear and if dissipates very quickly. With forged pistons there will always be some movement to cold pistons but it’s negligible on my car. Not sure if any other 18 owners can chime in. My build date is 6/18.

The second change is to the piston ring pack. They switched to steel rings with tighter clearances to hopefully alleviate oil consumption issues that have haunted the voodoo motor.

Both of the changes are good things for the motor as it stands N/A but not so much for boost ‍

There was also mention of water jacket modifications but nothing reliable

Like I said I got this from 2 very reliable sources with access to engineers from ford. Hoping to get more info in the near future.

This also fits ford MO of silently making changes to known issues. So take that as you like
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
More info pls. First I heard of this. If Ford did a redesign, then that would just about admit there is a design flaw. Where that goes..... remember the tech pack lawsuit?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I guess if my car had "looser" clearances I'd prefer that. I don't have excessive consumption issues and the piston slap isn't too bad. But I also broke my car in like a man, not like a bouquet of pansies.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
More info pls. First I heard of this. If Ford did a redesign, then that would just about admit there is a design flaw. Where that goes..... remember the tech pack lawsuit?
Yeah, it's like "Okay! But...okay?" I guess what does it really MATTER or what will it really mean in the long run. I have zero concerns about longevity with my car so far. Interesting nonetheless.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shadowblackbeast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby gt350
I wonder if that cost some power. Interesting
Doesn’t cost power in stock form. Tighter clearances are actually better for a N/A motor but are worse for boost. If it is indeed the case that clearances were tightened then for anyone wanting to add boost a 17 would then be better for boost than an 18. Go figure

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yeah, it's like "Okay! But...okay?" I guess what does it really MATTER or what will it really mean in the long run. I have zero concerns about longevity with my car so far. Interesting nonetheless.
And thank god you got a good one. I guess all the other people who didn't are a bunch of pansies?

Count your blessings.

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
I’ve gotten reliable information from 2 different sources that there has been some silent but very big changes to the rotating assembly of the voodoo motor starting with MY18.

I’m trying to track down more info as far as build dates etc would be concerned but may never narrow it all the way down. Depends on how forthcoming I can get these sources to be and if they will allow me to publicly name sources.

The changes I’ve been told are to the pistons and ring packs.

The pistons have been modified to tighten up the piston to wall clearance to alleviate the slap that has been a known issue that even ford issued a TSB about. I myself have noticed on my car that there is very little slap that you would have to put your head in the wheel well to hear and if dissipates very quickly. With forged pistons there will always be some movement to cold pistons but it’s negligible on my car. Not sure if any other 18 owners can chime in. My build date is 6/18.

The second change is to the piston ring pack. They switched to stall rings with tighter clearances to hopefully alleviate oil consumption issues that have haunted the voodoo motor.

Both of the changes are good things for the motor as it stands N/A bit not so much for boost ‍♂

There was also mention of water jacket modifications but nothing reliable

Like I said I got this from 2 very reliable sources with access to engineers from ford. Hoping to get more info in the near future.

This also fits ford MO of silently making changes to known issues. So take that as you like
I do remember someone talking about water jacket modifications for 19’s from a “trusted source” a while ago on here but I tried searching for it, couldn’t find it.

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What is this piston slap? My engine is silent when idling.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What is this piston slap? My engine is silent when idling.
It will be silent at idle. As long as I've been researching it (when mine started), no one has ever had it at idle. With only some minor variations, it's literally a rattle that occurs part throttle somewhere between 2,500 and 3,500 rpm; or at least that's where mine is. As the engine warms, it dissipates. When in that rpm range, adding or decreasing throttle makes it go away. It's annoying, but that's about the worst thing that'll come of it. I hate the sound of it, but if that's the worst thing that happens, I'll be happy.

Oh, and funny occurrence with mine at least...started out of the blue! One day it was silent and the next it was there. No slow progression or nothing; literally like turning on a light switch. Probably started around 3,500 or so, if I recall.

I have lived with the conclusion mine is indeed piston slap mainly because it jives with everyone else's descriptions because I absolutely cannot find it sitting static. On a lift, in the garage, no matter what, I cannot duplicate the sound sitting still, not even in that rpm range. It will only occur during real world driving under load.

I have a '02 F150 5.4L that I bough brand new. Has had piston slap for 195,000 successful miles. This truck and the motor has been awesome...with the piston slap. As the mileage increase, it has actually started to dissipate. This one was at idle however.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
First I heard of this. If Ford did a redesign, then that would just about admit there is a design flaw. Where that goes..... remember the tech pack lawsuit?
Admit there is a design flaw? Every manufacturer makes changes to a given platform, powerplant, etc, as time passes. With time it becomes evident that some designs are more favorable than others. If a "flaw" meets a requirement that must be addressed due to a legal standard - it gets addressed. Beyond that, it's the manufacturers choice to make changes or not.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Admit there is a design flaw? Every manufacturer makes changes to a given platform, powerplant, etc, as time passes. With time it becomes evident that some designs are more favorable than others. If a "flaw" meets a requirement that must be addressed due to a legal standard - it gets addressed. Beyond that, it's the manufacturers choice to make changes or not.
And you don't think there is any issue with this voodoo engine? I think that Ford is replacing these engines so freely because they don't want to wind up with a class action lawsuit on thier ass.

Somewhere somebody figured out that replacing these motors on a case by case basis is much cheaper than a recall or lawsuit.
Sponsored