Sponsored

2019 GT Rattle

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've got a 2019 GT.

No, this is not the engine tick or piston slap.

I've got the most annoying rattle coming from the passenger side - seems like up by the A pillar.

I've taken off the headliner as well as the A-pillar covering and haven't been able to find the source of the rattle. Does anyone have this issue or any ideas as to what it could be?
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Check your battery cover under the hood. The noise can sound like it's coming from the A pillar.

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Is there anything specific to check with the battery cover? The rattle almost sounds like it's coming from above the window close to the A-pillar

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Post a video?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Is there anything specific to check with the battery cover? The rattle almost sounds like it's coming from above the window close to the A-pillar
My 2018 GT had the rattle sound coming from driver side A-pillar. Turned out to be the little connecter that plugs into the tweeter. I put electric tape around it as it was loose when fully plugged. After tape was applied, I tapped the tweeter area and the rattle/buzzing sound went away. The problem has not returned in almost a year.

You could check it out to eliminate any possibility.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Mine sounds like it's above that tweeter - I looked into the tweeter already =(

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would get someone to drive the car, make it start rattling, and start pushing around until it stops or you know what it is not.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
@Ryan412 if it seems to be coming from above the tweeter, than check the clips that hold the A-pillar cover. They seem to be loose from the factory and require some tape/soft felt material to stop them from rattling around. Good luck this kinda stuff can take time to figure out but once you do, you wont have to hear it any longer!

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've had my wife sit next to me while I drive it. It sounds like it's coming from above the window right behind the a-pillar. We've taken the entire headliner off and still have trouble locating the noise.

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Anyone else have any advice for the a-pillar rattle? It seems to only occur during the mornings...it's driving me crazy

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yeah I've got the same stuff. Felted the entire dash. Still some kind of weird rattling/tapping on mornings regardless of road surface or speed coming from the top of the passgenger window closed to the a-pillar

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Tap on your a-pillar tweeter covers - is that the noise you’re hearing?

On my prior 2016, I popped those covers off and put thin pieces of felt tape behind them and no more rattles.

The headliner is held to the roof with magnets - it’s possible a magnet has come loose or is not secured 100% to the ceiling causing a tapping or rattling noise. Press along the headliner at the tops of the doors, along the top of windshield and back along the rear glass.

The other rattles behind a-pillars would be the air bag tethers. These are the long thin pieces of plastic that keep the a-pillar plastic from flying across the cabin if the airbag deploys. Those are notorious for rattling. Some have wrapped them in felt tape, or put foam pieces between them and the a-pillar plastic or metal a-pillar post.

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Thanks Cobra Jet - I checked into the tweeter covers a while back - no dice. Also looked into the magnets - again those are fine. Also looked into the airbag tethers a while back - not causing it.

I've really looked into a ton of things that I've seen on this forum that seem to commonly cause a rattle near the a-pillar/top of the windows and have yet to figure this one out.

I've taken the dash apart as well and felt taped everything in there.

I've not taken the door off simply because when I go to listen to the rattle it just doesn't sound like it's coming from the door at all.

What's weird is I can drive my car home after it sits outside all day at work in the heat an the car is absolutely silent on the drive home with no music on. But in the mornings, when it's cold, I hear the rattle like crazy.

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
What's weird is I can drive my car home after it sits outside all day at work in the heat an the car is absolutely silent on the drive home with no music on. But in the mornings, when it's cold, I hear the rattle like crazy.
In my cars that rattled, they tend to rattle more in cold weather. The cold causes parts to contract and opens up gaps that cause the rattles. Have you tried driving with the A pillar cover off, or while driving with it off, have someone push on different areas in the opened A pillar to see if the rattles stop?

I agree with what someone posted above about the possibility that the noise might not be from the A pillar. I had a car where if the passenger sun visor was left unclipped, it would make a rattle noise that seemed to be coming from the lower right corner of the passenger door--not even close to the real source of the noise. It took me a while to figure that out, and only by accident when I noticed the visor was unclipped and clipped it back in.
Sponsored