marcom0705

marcom0705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey Marco, I have swapped my MT82-D4 for a T56 Magnum XL in my 2019 Bullitt and had to swap back because of wiring issues. It's because of the rev. match and a sensor called the selected gear sensor. Good luck to you!
What kind of wiring issues?
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have swapped my MT82-D4 for a T56 Magnum XL in my 2019 Bullitt, and had to swap back because of wiring issues.
Hey, curious if you fixed the few things wrong with the MT82-D4s, which is the shift fork spot welds, and plastic parts inside. Remember reading that if you fully weld the shift forks, and replace all plastic parts with metal alternatives, the tranny is probably better than the Tremec. Forgot where I saw that video (from a transmission upgrade shop). Oh, and another thing I'd have done if I were you is to add a bleeder to the slave cylinder; it's utterly stupid it doesn't have one. Thx.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hey Marco, I have swapped my MT82-D4 for a T56 Magnum XL in my 2019 Bullitt and had to swap back because of wiring issues. It's because of the rev. match and a sensor called the selected gear sensor. Good luck to you!
Hmm, I wonder why that's an issue since it can be turned off. Maybe Forscan could help in this case.

OP
OP
marcom0705

marcom0705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hmm, I wonder why that's an issue since it can be turned off. Maybe Forscan could help in this case.
From what I know, the "issue" is it throws those error messages for the hill assist not available, active exhaust(if equipped), lane assist(if equipped), magneride. Other than that i was told it runs fine with no issues and no CEL. But yeah I think all those error messages should be able to be disabled with Forscan

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
What kind of wiring issues?
Hello Marcom, You might want to read about my entire ordeal starting on page 20 post # 287 on thread "Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550". I realize that your not trying to put the same transmission in as me but there is a lot of relevant content that could save you a lot of time and money. It's a little more in depth the it seems on the surface. All in all, the whole experience cost me around $6,000 conservatively.

Sponsored

supertorque

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Basically, there is no way to change the factory MT82-D4 in the newest generation Mustang GT without loosing countless functions that all interact with each other. Nobody (right now) makes any kind of a harness that will work. Not Bowler, not Dakota Digital, or anyone else for that matter. I spent well over 7 months with a T56 Magnum XL looking for a way to regain my reverse lights, back up camera, cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring, line lock, launch control, rev. match, and a few others that I can't remember right now. My car was stuck in normal drive mode which means the magneride suspension was not doing as well as it could not to mention it wasn't as fast as it could be if it were in Sport, Track,or Drag mode. The gear lock out was fixed however and the car drove like a dream! I could run the hell out of the car and it shifted smooth as silk! But, unfortunately I gave up looking for a solution after almost 8 months and decided to swap back to the original MT82-D4. Read all about it on thread "Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550." I'm just trying to help you guys out is all. Good luck!!

OP
OP
marcom0705

marcom0705

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Basically, there is no way to change the factory MT82-D4 in the newest generation Mustang GT without loosing countless functions that all interact with each other. Nobody (right now) makes any kind of a harness that will work. Not Bowler, not Dakota Digital, or anyone else for that matter. I spent well over 7 months with a T56 Magnum XL looking for a way to regain my reverse lights, back up camera, cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring, line lock, launch control, rev. match, and a few others that I can't remember right now. My car was stuck in normal drive mode which means the magneride suspension was not doing as well as it could not to mention it wasn't as fast as it could be if it were in Sport, Track,or Drag mode. The gear lock out was fixed however and the car drove like a dream! I could run the hell out of the car and it shifted smooth as silk! But, unfortunately I gave up looking for a solution after almost 8 months and decided to swap back to the original MT82-D4. Read all about it on thread "Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550." I'm just trying to help you guys out is all. Good luck!!
Oh okay. You weren't ever able to find a wiring diagram for the 2019+?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So, while the gearing isn't like it was in my 2016, it's not like it's bad.
Even with 4.09 gears in the D4 it's still not as aggressive as the D5 (Direct gear 5th) with just 3.31's. So IMO Ford screwed the pooch pretty hard with the D4.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Even with 4.09 gears in the D4 it's still not as aggressive as the D5 (Direct gear 5th) with just 3.31's. So IMO Ford screwed the pooch pretty hard with the D4.
Correct but it does alleviate some of the torque multiplication loss

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Correct but it does alleviate some of the torque multiplication loss
Yes but 4th gear is the real problem D4 1:1 , D5 1.36:1. In drag racing (especially N/A) you'll see how that becomes a real problem even with 4.09's. Cheers.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes but 4th gear is the real problem D4 1:1 , D5 1.36:1. In drag racing (especially N/A) you'll see how that becomes a real problem even with 4.09's. Cheers.
Yes, but if I was just drag racing I would have gotten an A10. Also you can get 4.30s or 4.56s as well. This car will feel a whole lot better with the 4.09s if it's a MT82D4 car.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well shit I'd go 4.56 then. Cheers.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hopefully someone makes a patch harness in the near future, because that kinda sucks.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Oh okay. You weren't ever able to find a wiring diagram for the 2019+?
I have the service manual with wiring diagrams for 2019, I posted a photo of the wiring for the gear select sensor some months ago. It is six wires: pwr; gnd; and four gear select wires. One appears to be for reverse, with the other three we could have 8 different outputs (assuming they are digital). A harness would need to convert the actual gear that is selected (from position of the shifter ?) and translate that into whatever signals the module is now sending to the PCM. If they are digital it may not be too difficult (PIC or Arduino).

But... the PCM may be programmed for the D4 gear ratios so other things (like MPH ?) may still be off.
Sponsored

Last edited: