2018 or 2019 GT reliable question

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Agreed it feels like Ford paint base or clear might be sensitive. I had a lot of chips on my premium Lincoln Caviar Dark Dray (Exclusive Black Label Chromo-Flare color).

I have the same Orange Fury as your car from your profile pic and I see chips from Bumpers to Hoods to A pillar to door handles.
There seems to be so much crap on the roads these days. I’m not defending the paint quality but a rock hitting you car at speed is likely going to leave a mark. Full front clip PPF is a must on our cars. It’s not necessarily cheap but worth every penny.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
There seems to be so much crap on the roads these days. I’m not defending the paint quality but a rock hitting you car at speed is likely going to leave a mark. Full front clip PPF is a must on our cars. It’s not necessarily cheap but worth every penny.
just don’t tailgate other cars... haven’t much of an issue with any of that..

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
Although I can't agree or disagree about paint quality, I think this is just one of the reasons to have the front of the car professionally ceramic coated. I had mine done after purchasing the my Mustang, and in 5,500 miles I have only hand washed it three times. Yes, it's kept in the garage and while I lived in Oregon, only driven on days that didn't rain. Now that I'm in Arizona, I drive it quite frequently and have to clean the windshield more, although the front of the car stays relatively clean. I have to say that the 1300+ mile 2 day road trip from Oregon to Arizona down I-5 and across I-10 was uneventful other than running out of gas because of a saddle tank transfer module failing, and I only received 1 small paint chip, although the Mustang front end was so full of bugs that you couldn't tell what color it was, and the bugs, tar and other stuff easily came off with a hand wash. I will never buy another car without having it professionally ceramic coated.
PP2 Lower Splitter.jpg

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Although I can't agree or disagree about paint quality, I think this is just one of the reasons to have the front of the car professionally ceramic coated. I had mine done after purchasing the my Mustang, and in 5,500 miles I have only hand washed it three times. Yes, it's kept in the garage and while I lived in Oregon, only driven on days that didn't rain. Now that I'm in Arizona, I drive it quite frequently and have to clean the windshield more, although the front of the car stays relatively clean. I have to say that the 1300+ mile 2 day road trip from Oregon to Arizona down I-5 and across I-10 was uneventful other than running out of gas because of a saddle tank transfer module failing, and I only received 1 small paint chip, although the Mustang front end was so full of bugs that you couldn't tell what color it was, and the bugs, tar and other stuff easily came off with a hand wash. I will never buy another car without having it professionally ceramic coated.
PP2 Lower Splitter.jpg
How much was the coating?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
PP2 Lower Splitter.jpg
Not sure whether or not you had your ceramic done by a pro but if you did I hope they didn't sell you on it as a protectant. The main purpose of the ceramic coating is ease of maintenance, followed by additional gloss. Protection is a very distant third. The coating will not protect against rock chips. For protection you need PPF. Then you add the ceramic on top of it. This is what I did and it is working extremely well. At this point you cannot add PPF as it will not properly adhere to the coating. Yuo would need to have it removed from the panels to be covered and then reapplied.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
A truly unanswerable question due to many, many variables. If you are looking to have it professionally done, the main cost is due to the necessary prep work. The actually coating part is not that difficult for the pro. Costs could be anywhere from $600-$700 up to $800-$2000 Depends on the installer. Reputation is everything, actual product not so much.

Here is what my guy gets just for the coatings. Add a few hundred based on the amount of prep you need. Then you have the wheels and glass. Depends on how far you want to go. I highlighted what I got.

Gyeon Pure
Durability: Up to 2 years
(with proper maintenance)
Coupes - $400
Sedans - $500
SUV/Trucks - $600
Extended Vehicles - $700

Shine Supply Beadlock Pro
Durability: Up to 3 years
Coupes - $500
Sedans - $600
SUV/Trucks - $700
Extended Vehicles - $800

Gyeon DuraFlex / Mohs +
*Certified Installer Only
Professional Coating*
Durability: Up to 5 years
Coupes - $700
Sedans - $800
SUV/Trucks - $900
Extended Vehicles - $1000

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra
*Certified Installer
Professional Only Coating*
Durability: Up to 9 years
Coupes - $900
Sedans - $1000
SUV/Trucks - $1100
Extended Vehicles - $1200

Here's what I paid for everything. Mine was $1300.00 Without the PPF.

DATE ACTIVITY QTY RATE AMOUNT
05/20/2019 2019 Ford Mustang GT/CS White
Level 3 Exterior - Refresh & Protect Service 1 350.00 350.00
05/20/2019 Ceramic Coating Service - Gyeon DuraFlex 1 700.00 700.00
05/20/2019 Wheels Off Ceramic Coating Service 1 300.00 300.00
05/20/2019 Discount
Discount off Wheel off Ceramic Coating Service
1 -50.00 -50.00
05/20/2019 Paint Protection Film - Full Front Package
- Front Bumper
- Full Hood
- Full Fenders
- Headlights
- Mirrors
- A Pillars 1 1,600.00 1,600.00T
Thank you for your business! SUBTOTAL 2,900.00
TAX (8%) 128.00
TOTAL 3,028.00

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
just don’t tailgate other cars... haven’t much of an issue with any of that..
+1 And have paint protection film added to the car as soon as you can when you buy the car.

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
I said it was coated in just the front, actually the whole car was ceramic coated. It took 2 days because of the drying/baking process and cost $800. I'd do it again even at twice the price, after seeing how it's held up for over a year. The $700 was half the price of the Katzkin Leather interior I put in the Mustang, and again, I'd do it again. Both the coating and the Katzkin interior had the same warranty, 3 years or 36,000 miles.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I know people rave about cermaic coatings, but I've had nothing but good results with simple Meguairs liquid hybrid ceramic. You have to apply it at least twice a year, but its way cheaper and imo gives just as good results. It beads water like crazy. I use the ceramic detailer as well and havent touched a hose in a long time. If the car is dirty enough I'll just rise it then use the detailer.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I know people rave about cermaic coatings, but I've had nothing but good results with simple Meguairs liquid hybrid ceramic. You have to apply it at least twice a year, but its way cheaper and imo gives just as good results. It beads water like crazy. I use the ceramic detailer as well and havent touched a hose in a long time. If the car is dirty enough I'll just rise it then use the detailer.
I am sure the Meguiar's is a great product (I've used many over the years) but have you ever owned a car that had a pro level ceramic coating applied by a detailer? The reason I ask is that there is most certainly a difference between the two. Back when I had my 15' Ruby Red EB I thought the shine was the very best it could be. I then saw one coated at my detailer. I was so wrong. That's why I got my 19' done as soon as I got the car.

Last edited:

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am sure the Meguiar's is a great product (I've used many over the years) but have you ever owned a car that had a pro level ceramic coating applied by a detailer? The reason I ask is that there is most certainly a difference between the two. Back when I had my 15' Ruby Red EB It thought the shine was the very best it could be. I then saw one coated at my detailer. I was so wrong. That's why I got my 19' done as soon as I got the car.
I have and honestly I see no diference other then not having to recoat it for 2 years. The liquid hybrid (not the spray) just came out a few months ago so its still new and most impressive non pro coating I've ever used.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
other than running out of gas because of a saddle tank transfer module failing
Hey, did you ask to see the failed module? I've seen this failure mentioned enough times that it's starting to worry me a little. To my understanding, the 'module' is not electrically driven, but 'venturi-driven' instead, meaning no moving parts, so wonder what the hell is failing. Or maybe it's electrically driven, hence my question. Would like to have more info on this damn module, and exactly where it is. Maybe we can buy a spare one, in case that happens... if it's easily accessible from one of the 2 caps under the rear seat. I'm sure it's not fun to run out of gas when you think you have half a tank. By the way, I assume your car was showing half a tank, correct? Thx.

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
I'm sure Meguair's is a good product, although I doubt it resists flying objects harder than a bug. My wife has a 3M clear bra on her SUV and although it does stop rocks from chipping the paint, it still leaves a mark on the paint underneath the 3M bra. In 1300+ miles of open freeway driving at and above posted speeds I did encounter rocks, and have two small chips in the Mustang's windshield to prove it, but only one very, very small chip in the paint, which the shop that put the ceramic coating on can take care of. For me, it's well worth it, and the coating is guarranteed for 3 years.

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
Hey, did you ask to see the failed module? I've seen this failure mentioned enough times that it's starting to worry me a little. To my understanding, the 'module' is not electrically driven, but 'venturi-driven' instead, meaning no moving parts, so wonder what the hell is failing. Or maybe it's electrically driven, hence my question. Would like to have more info on this damn module, and exactly where it is. Maybe we can buy a spare one, in case that happens... if it's easily accessible from one of the 2 caps under the rear seat. I'm sure it's not fun to run out of gas when you think you have half a tank. By the way, I assume your car was showing half a tank, correct? Thx.
The module is electronic, and I'm not sure where the "venturi-driven" thing came about. It senses the amount of fuel left in one side of the saddle tank...not sure which one...after the other side is pretty much empty. I did not see where it is mounted although it's outside the tank and hooked into the fuel pump/computer wiring harness. I'm assuming it may be accessible from under the seat, although I didn't ask.
I bought the car brand new and hardly ever let the tank get below 1/2 full...just a habit. The first time it happened was on the first tankful of gas, and the gauge showed between 1/4 and 1/2. It just suddenly dropped to E and the little red light came on saying you have 5 miles until you are empty. Luckily I pulled off the freeway and filled up, not really paying attention to how much went into the tank and just figured I hadn't been looking at the gauge and I had really used that much gas. From there on I kept filling when it got to 1/2 tank. Last year I went from Oregon to Seattle and was stuck in traffic on I-5...it happened again, and once again I was lucky enough to get off the freeway and get to a gas station. This time I noticed that it only took slightly more than 9 gallons, which meant I still had a lot of gas in the tank. On my return to Oregon the gauge dropped to E again, and this time I thought, heck, I've still got enough gas to get home...unfortunately I ran out and costed to an off ramp. I walked to the gas station, got a 2 gallon gas can, filled it up and walked back to the car. One thing to keep in mind is that Ford has provided you with a gas spout that will fit on a 2 gallon plastic gas can, because the can I just bought had it's own spout, but would not fit the Ford Mustang and I spilled gas everywhere before finding the spout where the spare tire should be. I filled up and again it took only 9 gallons. One interesting thing is the trip odometer showed I had over 400 miles to on a full tank, and it had done this new. Anyway I drove the car and made an appointment to take the car into a Ford dealer, although I had to wait over 2 weeks because the tech that deals with electronic issues was that far backed up. In the mean time once again I let it get down below half, although this time nothing happened, and I actually got down to the trip odometer showing I only had 33 miles before empty. I filled the car up and though, WOW!, it must have fixed itself when it ran out of gas...so I cancelled the appointment...bad move on my part. Fast forward to over a month ago driving East on I-10 in the middle of nowhere, and the gauge showed between 1/4 and 1/2 and I thought I've got plenty of fuel left because the trip odometer shows 90 miles and I only have to another 60. Anyway, the Ford dealer had my Mustang for over a week because the part was back ordered and had to come from Canada. That was ok because they offered a loaner, although I declined and drove my Mini. So, if you want a spare, I suggest you save up, because list on the part was $400+. Since my car is still under warranty I didn't worry. If I can find the paperwork I'll get the part number for you. The tech and service manager had seen this only once before on another 19 PP1/A10 which seemed kind of weird because that's what mine is...but they both said, we hope this solves the issue, if not bring it back, and my response was, sure, it'll come back on a flatbed at Ford's expense.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm sure Meguair's is a good product, although I doubt it resists flying objects harder than a bug. My wife has a 3M clear bra on her SUV and although it does stop rocks from chipping the paint, it still leaves a mark on the paint underneath the 3M bra. In 1300+ miles of open freeway driving at and above posted speeds I did encounter rocks, and have two small chips in the Mustang's windshield to prove it, but only one very, very small chip in the paint, which the shop that put the ceramic coating on can take care of. For me, it's well worth it, and the coating is guarranteed for 3 years.
Pretty much nothing will resist paint chips. Even film if hit right and hard enough will see damage. Pro ceramic isn't going to protect from chips any more than the hybrid ceramic. For myself I don't see a point in spending a large amount of money when what I'm using is doing exactly what it claims to do.
Love bug season hits and they come off very easily.
I have 0 chips and I have been hit by some pretty good rocks and debris from trucks. Not saying what I'm using is why. If one wants to get pro ceramic go for it. I'm just tossing out my thoughts on a product that works very well, is easy to maintain, easy to apply (can be used on the entire car) and is very affordable.
I have a long time friend in another state who is a detailer and makes a killing off of ceramic coatings. Its why he recommends it. Its a very high profit margin. Now if you do it yourself its definitely way more affordable. They are great for those that don't want to detail 2 to 4 times a year.
He'll even tell you though that not all pro ceramics are created equal. Some are sadly no better than traditional sealants and are all marketing hype. Goes for everything really. He's seen cases of peoples cars he's worked on with 2 yr claims wear off in 6 months while others do hold up as claimed.

Last edited: