2018 or 2019 Mustang GT

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Hey guys I'm new to the world of mustang's and I was looking for a bit of advice. The dealer I'm working with currently has a 2018 gt with 97 miles and a 2019 gt with 5.2 miles. The price difference between the cars is pretty substantial and they both have the exact same options. Should I be wary of buying a manual that has had most of its break in done by test drivers and a dealer trade? I don't know how important break in is to these mustangs, please enlighten me!!
Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
97 miles is nothing. I’d get the 18 if I could get the price I wanted. No differences in the manual. Both could have issues that would be covered by warranty. I love my 18 manual.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Does the 18 have rev matching? I think that was new for 19. I didn't really think I'd enjoy it that much but after driving one it's great. Even when your cruising up to stoplights a little down shift sounds out right mean.

Also not sure if the new mustang clutch needs a good break in period but 90+ miles of test drives could definitely have glazed the clutch disk over some. When I bought mine it had 18 miles on it and the dealer took me out and just beat on it. When it was my turn to test drive it I gave it some gas but kept it conservative. The sales rep didn't understand why I wasn't driving it harder.

With that being said if the 18 is a way better price and the rev match doesn't do it for you take the better deal!

OP
OP
givemeadollar

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Does the 18 have rev matching? I think that was new for 19. I didn't really think I'd enjoy it that much but after driving one it's great. Even when your cruising up to stoplights a little down shift sounds out right mean.

Also not sure if the new mustang clutch needs a good break in period but 90+ miles of test drives could definitely have glazed the clutch disk over some. When I bought mine it had 18 miles on it and the dealer took me out and just beat on it. When it was my turn to test drive it I gave it some gas but kept it conservative. The sales rep didn't understand why I wasn't driving it harder.

With that being said if the 18 is a way better price and the rev match doesn't do it for you take the better deal!
I will look into rev match, the price difference is 1100. If it is rev match vs no rev match I would probably pay the extra 1100 for rev match + fresh clutch and bearings.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
97 miles is nothing. I’d get the 18 if I could get the price I wanted. No differences in the manual. Both could have issues that would be covered by warranty. I love my 18 manual.
The 2019 has rev matching, the 2018 does not. Also, depending on the build date, the 2019 could have the revised shift forks that many claimed would break easily.

I doubt those two would be worth a 10k difference, but that's objective. I love the rev matching, personally, if only to let me know when I shift into 2nd instead of 4th, or 3rd instead of 5th.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Imo $1100 isnt enough to justify that many miles. But to each their own. I never owned a new car until 4 years ago but if I buy new i want as close to 0 as possible so i can put all the miles on myself :rockon:

OP
OP
givemeadollar

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
The 2019 has rev matching, the 2018 does not. Also, depending on the build date, the 2019 could have the revised shift forks that many claimed would break easily.

I doubt those two would be worth a 10k difference, but that's objective. I love the rev matching, personally, if only to let me know when I shift into 2nd instead of 4th, or 3rd instead of 5th.
From what I am seeing the 2018's have rev matching as well https://www.motortrend.com/news/11-significant-changes-refreshed-2018-ford-mustang/

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'd skip the Mustang and get the Camry V6. It's faster than a Mustang and you can seat 4 people in it vs 3. I say 3 because a half a person can fit in each backseat. 2 half pieces make a whole. So 3.

Skip the Mustang because they tick, the exhaust sounds like a beached whale, don't have any low end power at all, the shift forks break constantly, the gas mileage is terrible, the Camaro has more horsepower, and the Camaro front end looks better. Any questions?

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'd skip the Mustang and get the Camry V6. It's faster than a Mustang and you can seat 4 people in it vs 3. I say 3 because a half a person can fit in each backseat. 2 half pieces make a whole. So 3.

Skip the Mustang because they tick, the exhaust sounds like a beached whale, don't have any low end power at all, the shift forks break constantly, the gas mileage is terrible, the Camaro has more horsepower, and the Camaro front end looks better. Any questions?
Mustang makes more HP, and in what world is a v6 camry faster than a GT?

I must be missing where it says it does. The auto rev matches and the 2018 has no lift shifting, but the auto rev matching in downshifts is exclusive to the 2019. There's even a semi current thread with someone asking if anyone knows how to get the rev matching on the 2018.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
So far lebanon ford has been very fair, its looking to end up at 41-42k OTD including added warranty on the whipple for a 2018 base gt with the whipple supercharger.
Did this deal fall through?

OP
OP
givemeadollar

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Did this deal fall through?
Yes and no, I ended up with a 2019 instead of the 2018. I couldn't handle 97 miles of test drives being done on the car I was buying, also for $1100 difference the auto rev matching and a car with 3 miles was worthwhile.
Sponsored