Sponsored

2018 Mustang refresh?

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Fun thread, guys.

I can afford a Camaro. I optioned out a 1SS/6spd and it's within my budget.

Brand loyalty, silly or not, is a thing. My current Mustang has been the one of the best cars I've ever owned. I absolutely love that motor. If I'm going to replace it, I'd REALLY prefer that it was another Mustang so I want to see what's in store for 2018 and if they can match the Camaro before I take the plunge.

The performance bar has moved...If I'm going to buy another Mustang, I need it to be a full scale upgrade. Currently, the S550 GTs are no quicker than my car. That matters to me.

The 6th gen body style is no better nor worse than a S550 Mustang in my opinion. I really like both. Each has pros and cons. Honestly, I'd possibly take the small windows if it means ~200lbs fewer lbs and a better chassis. That's pretty hard to ignore.

The note about the Camaro transaction price was from an automotive industry article...about muscle cars in general. The quote was from a GM rep...so who knows?
Even if there is cash on the hood, it stands to reason that the higher MSRP is resulting in a higher price out the door than before.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...muscle-cars-the-canaries-in-the-industry-coal
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Fun thread, guys.

If I'm going to replace it, I'd REALLY prefer that it was another Mustang so I want to see what's in store for 2018 and if they can match the Camaro before I take the plunge.
Ford will respond and top the 6th Gen Camaro's performance, I too am waiting, watching w/fingers crossed that the Blue Oval makes a bold statement with the refresh.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The 6th gen body style is no better nor worse than a S550 Mustang in my opinion. I really like both. Each has pros and cons. Honestly, I'd possibly take the small windows if it means ~200lbs fewer lbs and a better chassis. That's pretty hard to ignore.
I prefer the front/hood of the Camaro just because they don't have a huge bulge in the midde of their hood like the Mustang has but the rest I prefer the Mustang for.

I think if the Mustang comes out with a meaner front looking fascia and does something with the hood bulge they will have beaten the Camaro on the looks from front to back.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Gen 6 camaro has too much of a pancake face and ass. The lights just look too smashed up. The side profile of the Camaro is really nice, any other angle (especially the rear) and it just does nothing for me. There is no doubt at this point, once the 1LE package is available, Mustang GT doesn't stand a chance. I'd imagine on the track it's going to pick up at least 2-3 seconds over the GT. However still in real life those numbers are insignificant to my needs but it will be a great buy assuming it's not an additional 4k added on top of the already somewhat inflated price. My plans of now are keeping the GT stock and just enjoying it as is for 2 years then seeing what my options are. It there isn't a big release I will just pay the car off then wait for the next best thing to come out.

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Interesting discussion. I just stepped back into the Mustang family after nearly 20 years of driving BMW M3s. The S550 is a hell of a bargain depending on options. I wanted a front engine, NA RWD car that looked and sounded great and was fast and actually handled decent and not super expensive. Not many cars fit meet these requirements. Modern BMWs, while incredible, surely don't.

I didn't even consider the Camaro because it doesn't look that great, it sounds like shit (as does the Corvette) and the interior is crappy. It may be lighter and faster but the 'package' didn't do it for me. And that's the point - lap times don't mean jack shit. The car has to stir your soul or its pointless to own.

In my opinion the last thing the Mustang needs is more power - that's fools' gold. They've created a really good platform and just need to refine it a bit. Better ride quality, better weight distribution, more responsive driveline, less weight and better forward visibility. If they can do that AND keep the price down it'll be the ultimate street car.

Sponsored

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Im happy with the performance of my base gt. Just waiting till the fall to put on the steeda springs, swaybars and frpp track pack shocks. I spend a lot of time in dfw traffic and a faster car would not do me any favors. I cross shopped a 1ss camaro out of curiosity and with the view outward from the driver seat gave me some worries. No ragrets.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Well I was a sorehead for awhile a few months back when I had one of these badass (haha) camaros catch up and pass me on a country road.. So I got to thinkin, gotta use this high reving overhead cam 5.0 to its advantage next time this happens. I mean I seen this guy coming from way off. The road had curves coming up and I thought thats where I'd put the gap between us but nope. Back to the straights and he pulled on me so I got out of it. Had a turnoff approaching anyways. So weeks pass and Im out on the four lane and here another comes. Looks like this one is on the hunt big time. Riding the hammerlane thought maybe was an unmarked. But no the dude swung in behind me so I thought hell no. Shit not gonna go down like last time. So I downshift to fourth.doing a good rev match not to give it away. Then I start to pull on him to tempt it and sure enough he was ready to battle. As he comes around I stomp it in the same gear never shifting out and goddamn do I put the distance between us. I dont think I ever run it up that far. The power was incredible and push into the recaros was awesome. Only thing is I didnt go a fair enough distance to allow his car to overtake me which im sure it would have as he was closing the gap. So I took an exit. But the whole thing had to be a shocker to a new ss owner lol. To add, the s550 is a unique car that can be a respected performer if driven right! The mid gears and high reving does the job well..

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
:doh:

Come on...I really wish this forum wouldn't compel me to speak up on behalf of the damn Camaro again but this kind of stuff just demands a comment.

First, we should all want competition. As a long time Red Sox fan, I secretly know that Baseball is way more fun when the Yankees are a good team.

For example, the Mustang farted along for a whole generation with no competition and got by on 300hp from a very old motor. It wasn't until the 5th gen Camaro came along until Ford was forced to offer something more than the same tired old 4.6L. Likewise, the Camaro's IRS proved to be vastly better than the best efforts on the S197's solid axle. Yeah, Boss 302 was great. It was also a heroic effort to make the most of a cost-cutting measure from Ford. Meanwhile, the Camaro 1LE just walked all over any version of the S197...and sure enough, the next gen Mustang got a damn good IRS! (yeah, yeah...the 2015 1LE is still better driver's car than the all-new Mustang GT PP... still, the effort was there).

Second, Chevrolet seems to be moving Camaro up market. Supposedly, the higher transaction price has meant that even with the small sales volume, the car has been a financial success. You're all free to disagree but I'm glad to hear that the model is doing well.

Let's hope this continues and both are successful. But I'm also hoping that the Ford doesn't follow suit in pushing the Mustang up market to match. Mustang still offers a V8 model at the lower trim levels and I hope it stays that way. My 300A GT has been just the car I wanted and it was also the one I could afford.
Competition is good to a Point. Hence, I'm not going to say I want competition. Yes, Competition drove ford into bettering the Mustang Overall. Yet, a Cheap RWD V8 platform is EXTREMELY hard to come by in this time in age and It isn't hard to guess how much an SS will cost into the coming years.

Expect a $600 increase year after year for the next two or three years till you see a face lift. When the major Face lift comes expect about a $1000 Jump from that previous face lift like most manufacturers do. Only for them to return to their year after year incremental increases. Your so called competition that everyone should want will only make this worse. I Assure you by the time this generation is done the Camaro 1SS will be sitting around the 42 to 44k mark for a Base 1SS( depending on how inflation goes and if chevy is dumb enough to keep providing performance improvements).

The mustang is killing the competition in sales.... but it's no Camry or F150.. All those things in the name of performance will only make your future worse.

No offense to anyone here, but if I wanted another Vette.. I'd just go buy one... GT is on the back of the mustang for a reason and I buy it for that reason.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
Im happy with the performance of my base gt. Just waiting till the fall to put on the steeda springs, swaybars and frpp track pack shocks. I spend a lot of time in dfw traffic and a faster car would not do me any favors. I cross shopped a 1ss camaro out of curiosity and with the view outward from the driver seat gave me some worries. No ragrets.
Thankfully I have until next May to really make up my mind on trim, but the more I think about it the more the base seems to be the choice for me.

I wont be tracking. I mod the crap out of my V8 muscle cars, I got no extra joy of the creature comforts that came in my 2013 2SS. I don't really like the wheels on the GT PP(I know I'm crazy), and exterior mods including a front fascia will be first on my list.

Ford made it tough though, for just a very slight bump on price the premium can be had. It is not unlike the fast food gimmick of 'up-sizing'...."you mean I get 800 more calories for $0.49 more?...why not!!!"

It is great to have choices, but I know some options are tough to replace or retro-fit and certain things like gearing can really add joy to the experience. I need to do some test driving, and make sure I know what would be given up with whatever choices I make.

I am sort of worried Ford is going to knock the refresh out of the park, making the '18 model simply too tough to pass up.

I guess I just need to be prepared for that hahahaha. Such exciting times! :headbang:

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
No offense to anyone here, but if I wanted another Vette.. I'd just go buy one... GT is on the back of the mustang for a reason and I buy it for that reason.
That's more or less how I feel about it.

Sponsored

FN2187

Changed to "project85"
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IG: proj85
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Some sort of minor facelift or rear bumper change I assume... like the 2012.

HawaiianStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kanani
Vehicle(s)
SN95 Mustang GT
My prediction for the 18MY refresh are a more aggressive front fascia, changing the rear fascia to accommodate a quad exhaust (non dual mode), GT 350 style hood. All exterior lights will be LEDs. A power bump of 20-25 hp, and 10-15 ft. lbs. tq. Dual piston rear brake calipers will be standard. Re-calibrated dampers and spring rates for the PP Suspension, and a optional Ford Performance Track Pack Suspension with magnetic dampers and quad piston rear brake calipers. Minor changes to the interior (flat bottom steering wheel, upgraded materials), minimal if any weight savings. Let's see if any of this sticks. Aloha.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
My prediction for the 18MY refresh are a more aggressive front fascia, changing the rear fascia to accommodate a quad exhaust (non dual mode), GT 350 style hood. All exterior lights will be LEDs. A power bump of 20-25 hp, and 10-15 ft. lbs. tq. Dual piston rear brake calipers will be standard. Re-calibrated dampers and spring rates for the PP Suspension, and a optional Ford Performance Track Pack Suspension with magnetic dampers and quad piston rear brake calipers. Minor changes to the interior (flat bottom steering wheel, upgraded materials), minimal if any weight savings. Let's see if any of this sticks. Aloha.

Blimey, that's pretty specific! It'll be interesting to see how close you are.

Aloha to you, too :)

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
That would all be very amazing!

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
That's quite a list
Sponsored