Sponsored

2018 Mustang refresh?

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
If they push the Coyote up more with DI, or whatever, I'm going to bet dollars to donuts that will up the MSRP. If PP stuff becomes base, that adds to base price. Exhaust and magnetic ride... I'm fine with these as long as they stay OPTIONAL. I tossed out the sh*tty stock exhaust first thing when I bought this car.

I'm saying I damn well don't want to see that come to an end. Ford can give y'all a Mach 1 with something like Camaro specs, and leave the cheap V8s for us folks who hate debt, or aren't made of money, and they'd do well.
The sentiment resonates w/ me. Keep the frills optional, so that simpletons like me who just want a V8, a stick and good brakes & suspension, can get one for $$ low thirties and be happy.
Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The sentiment resonates w/ me. Keep the frills optional, so that simpletons like me who just want a V8, a stick and good brakes & suspension, can get one for $$ low thirties and be happy.
Amen brotha. Hey, good taste in color, too. DIB all the way.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I don't see any reason to make dual-mode exhaust or magnetorheological dampers standard. Is anyone asking for this?
These would be options you add on. Just like they are on the Camaro, Audi S series, etc.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
You may be right. On the other hand... I like the fact that the current Mustang is much cheaper than the Camaro. Yes, yes, the Camaro SS wins the race, but at what price? If Ford adds all that equipment on, and bumps power up a lot, and drops weight... that's all dollars, my friend. Today, you can still buy a brand new base GT under $30k if you're smart about it. You can get close to that even with base + PP. If the Mustang follows the Camaro... well it's damn near impossible to find Camaros under $40k in dealer stock.

The GT and the SS are fast leaving the "pony car" world, and entering the sports car world. Nice cars, don't get me wrong, but the pony car segment exists for a reason: we aren't made out of money. At least most of us, anyway.
Plenty of 1SS for low $30's. Anyone that can get a base GT for that price can easily work a deal on a Camaro 1SS for VERY close.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...ix&sortFeatures=buryNoPrice&searchSource=SORT

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Plenty of 1SS for low $30's. Anyone that can get a base GT for that price can easily work a deal on a Camaro 1SS for VERY close.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...ix&sortFeatures=buryNoPrice&searchSource=SORT
In the entire country, you found none under $30k, and only 4 or 5 that are somewhat close. A similar search on the same site for new Mustang GT yields prices as low as $27k (try it yourself).

But that does no good if they are far away. My local high volume Ford dealership has 9 or 10 GTs under $30k, and 2 for $27k:

http://www.brandonford.com/new-ford...]=GT&trim[]=GT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE&sf=sf_trim

The local high volume Chevy dealership has ZERO SS's under $40k:

http://www.stingraychevrolet.com/Ve...olet&model=&trim=&minYear=&maxYear=&maxPrice=

This pattern repeats for most of Florida.

Believe me, man, I dug deep into this very issue. Because I might have turned traitor if the SS's were cheap enough. They weren't.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
DJ on the weekends, do UX development and consulting during the week. Most of my best work is done at night.
And here I thought you just built cool go-karts.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
In the entire country, you found none under $30k, and only 4 or 5 that are somewhat close. A similar search on the same site for new Mustang GT yields prices as low as $27k (try it yourself).

But that does no good if they are far away. My local high volume Ford dealership has 9 or 10 GTs under $30k, and 2 for $27k:

http://www.brandonford.com/new-ford...]=GT&trim[]=GT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE&sf=sf_trim

http://www.stingraychevrolet.com/Ve...olet&model=&trim=&minYear=&maxYear=&maxPrice=

Believe me, man, I dug deep into this very issue. Because I might have turned traitor if the SS's were cheap enough. They weren't.
Sure, sure....plenty in my area and I have no idea where you are. I am not trying to make any sort of point and don't want a Camaro. Just a heads up is all as I thought you really thought they couldn't be had. I would not let a little distance keep me from what I wanted. Shipping isn't that expensive and road trips are fun.

Do you man.

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Not to continue his off topic tangent, but... There are a boat load of SS's in SWFlorida in the 35k range. Stingray Chevrolet is a sub par dealership. Ferman Chevy is like 20 minutes away and they have a couple around 35k. Two dealerships in Miami (the only two in Miami that I looked at, Bomnin and AutoNation) have over two dozen in the 32-38k range and most of them are 35k 2SS's. They're discounting them 10.5k. I live in Fort Myers and I had to drive almost three hours to Elder Ford in Tampa for my GT. I don't think that's unreasonable for the right deal.

2016 2SS
"MSRP $45,380
Special Price $34,840
Savings $10,540"

www.bomninchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-2dr_Cpe_2SS-Miami-FL/2749123293

Sub-40k SS's (2SS's for that matter) are not as rare as you're making them out to be. You might have to drive a few hours, but it's not like they're across the country. TBH, if I needed a car right now, I'd be hard pressed to pass on a 35k loaded 2SS over a 27k base GT.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Not to continue his off topic tangent, but... There are a boat load of SS's in SWFlorida in the 35k range. Stingray Chevrolet is a sub par dealership. Ferman Chevy is like 20 minutes away and they have a couple around 35k. Two dealerships in Miami (the only two in Miami that I looked at, Bomnin and AutoNation) have over two dozen in the 32-38k range and most of them are 35k 2SS's. They're discounting them 10.5k. I live in Fort Myers and I had to drive almost three hours to Elder Ford in Tampa for my GT. I don't think that's unreasonable for the right deal.

2016 2SS
"MSRP $45,380
Special Price $34,840
Savings $10,540"

www.bomninchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-2dr_Cpe_2SS-Miami-FL/2749123293

Sub-40k SS's (2SS's for that matter) are not as rare as you're making them out to be. You might have to drive a few hours, but it's not like they're across the country. TBH, if I needed a car right now, I'd be hard pressed to pass on a 35k loaded 2SS over a 27k base GT.
That's a very good deal. I concede that. But, again, to me $8,000 difference is a non-trivial amount.

Edit: I just noticed this is one of those dealerships that includes bizarro incentives and other weird things in their internet price. See: "Internet Price includes the following incentives: $1,500 - GM Targeted In Market Lease Cash Private Offer. Exp. 08/31/2016, $1,000 - Chevrolet Conquest Towards Purchase Private Offer. Exp. 08/31/2016, $500 - American Farm Bureau Member Special Offer. Exp. 05/31/2017"

So in reality, this is a 38k 2SS unless you have a lease conquest and are a farm bureau member, not a 35k 2SS. Still a good deal, mind you... but now we're talking $11k difference. The Brandon Ford price doesn't have that junk (they are a really good dealership, btw, bought a lot of cars from them over the years).

Last edited:

Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
You may be onto something here, maybe w/the refresh they will also offer a list of options or a packaged option list for the car that focuses on:

-Engine (S/C or N/A)
-Suspension (MRC)
-Brakes (Brembo)
Tranny (Tremec)
Radio/technology/interior

It would drive the cost up IF you ordered one with all the bells & whistles, but still offer a stripped-down model at a somewhat reasonable price barring you don't need/want a ton of options...The car already sells like steak & eggs at a Denny's in the wee hours of the morn, sales would be through the roof, it would be a gear-head's dream to order a Mustang just the way you want it from the factory.

My .02

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
You may be onto something here, maybe w/the refresh they will also offer a list of options or a packaged option list for the car that focuses on:

-Engine (S/C or N/A)
-Suspension (MRC)
-Brakes (Brembo)
Tranny (Tremec)
Radio/technology/interior

It would drive the cost up IF you ordered one with all the bells & whistles, but still offer a stripped-down model at a somewhat reasonable price barring you don't need/want a ton of options...The car already sells like steak & eggs at a Denny's in the wee hours of the morn, sales would be through the roof, it would be a gear-head's dream to order a Mustang just the way you want it from the factory.

My .02
Now this I can get behind. I'd love to see Ford give us options, and yet keep the low price V8 options around, also. The Pony Car market segment has always been about having a lot of options for everything from the motor to the transmission, such that you could build a nice cruiser, a cheap no-frills sporty car, or stripper V8 muscle... whatever floats your boat.

In this vein, it would be cool if the Coyote stuck around, but we got a bumped up 5.2 CPC or something similar as a middle ground (the Mach 1, maybe?). This would give the guys who want to go race Camaros what they want, without ruining it for the old skewl cheapass "give me a stick and a V8" guys. There's room in the Mustang price brackets for a Camaro-fighter... at a Camaro price, naturally.

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
I was quite happy with the 2017 order menu, being able to get a V8, stick, cloth, performance package, no luxuries all at a doable price.
Sponsored