Sponsored

2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have an update if there is a finned diff cover for these cars yet?
My understanding is that there isn't sufficient airflow in this area to make a finned diff cover effective.
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
+1 for BG fluid and exhaust wrap. Myself and many others have found that to work for 20-30 minute sessions.
Which BG fluid did you use? I used Royal Purple 75-140 so far but have considered going to BG.

LS_Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Have you tried fluid change and exhaust wrap yet? I've only had one warning with this but no limp mode (so far).
Yes I've tried all of the easy fixes. But I do have a 4.11 rear gear ratio and the Torsen LSD so maybe that produces more heat? And thanks for the quick replies everybody. I'm new to the forum so this really is aweseome!

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Which BG fluid did you use? I used Royal Purple 75-140 so far but have considered going to BG.
I use BG Ultra Guard 75w90 with the additive.
https://www.opmustang.com/store/p2/...FORD_MUSTANG_REAR_AXLE_LUBE_CHANGE_KIT.html#/

The 75w140 will take longer to heat up but will also take longer to cool off. For 20 minute track sessions, I think the 90 weight is better than the 140.
The titanium exhaust wrap near the diff definitely keeps heat away as well.

For a completely bullet proof solution, get the diff cooler from Full Tilt Boogie for $700

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I use BG Ultra Guard 75w90 with the additive.
https://www.opmustang.com/store/p2/...FORD_MUSTANG_REAR_AXLE_LUBE_CHANGE_KIT.html#/

The 75w140 will take longer to heat up but will also take longer to cool off. For 20 minute track sessions, I think the 90 weight is better than the 140.
The titanium exhaust wrap near the diff definitely keeps heat away as well.

For a completely bullet proof solution, get the diff cooler from Full Tilt Boogie for $700
I'll get FTB eventually (probably). I might switch to BG on the next swap. Do you use the Ford Additive with it? I'm also looking at a way to blow air across it between sessions. Possibly Ryobi misting fan or just my electric plug in leaf blower. Been told those two work pretty well.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'll get FTB eventually (probably). I might switch to BG on the next swap. Do you use the Ford Additive with it? I'm also looking at a way to blow air across it between sessions. Possibly Ryobi misting fan or just my electric plug in leaf blower. Been told those two work pretty well.
No Ford additive. BG fluid comes with additive pre-mixed.

That methodology does indeed work. Flyhalf uses a Ryobi leaf blower and a water bottle spray on his trans after each session. Or at least he did in December when we were hanging out at Buttonwillow. Don't know if he got a trans cooler or not now

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly Ryobi misting fan
cast-iron doesn't give up heat. What you need is a bag of ice in direct contact with the aluminum cover. I'm thinking a bucket with axle slots cut out and full of water/ice enough to submerge say a few inches of the diff. Water is great for drawing heat out.

A oversize tea/dish or bath towel wrapped around the housing with of bunch of ice might be easy enough to rig up. That way you also get evaporative cooling helping out. Bring a set of those plastic "oil change" ramps and back the car onto them. THen you can do your diff-laundry with more ease. If you have one of those food delivery services, you get some really nice cooling packs.

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
hey can one of you guys link me to the heat shields to buy (and how many Ineeed)? I am planning some track time this summer.

Sponsored

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, found it - ordered 2 and of those heat shields and 2 quarts of Royal Purple 75w-140 oil

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much are we talking quantity wise and price wise?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
1/4 in thick x 6 in x 10 ft was around $50 125 a box. (edit, found my invoice)

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got two of those off of amazon, do I really need a box?
Sponsored