Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
They obviously positioned it down low where there will always be an oil bath, but the sensor definitely doesn't need to be a wet probe to be accurate, so the blind hole makes sense.

Regarding the diff cover though, the S197 wasn't IRS, so the whole diff housing is different.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Regarding the diff cover though, the S197 wasn't IRS, so the whole diff housing is different.
Not sure why that would prevent designing an IRS diff cover with fins. There may not be as much airflow around the back of an IRS diff, so it might not be as effective as a finned stick-axle cover. But you'd think that any more heat rejection than is currently the case would have to be better.

Norm

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Not sure why that would prevent designing an IRS diff cover with fins.
It wouldn't, I interpreted "if only they had carried it forward" as meaning they should have used that cover on the 15+ cars, not that they should have designed a new one for the IRS housing with fins. My bad

The problem with finned covers is even those don't really work all that well without lots of air going across them. Gale Banks recently went through a thorough design process on diff covers and wound up using a "scoop" to force air across the integral cooling fins. Pretty neat solution, but the air under a car designed for good aero (without using a full undertray and diffuser) is going to be a lot more stale than the air under a big ass truck though, so that may have something to do with not using passive cooling fins.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You still have to design the pumpkin, and with it having to be bolted up to the cradle directly (as opposed to via stick-axle suspension linkages) it is necessarily going to look a bit different. IOW, what the big casting needs should drive the cover design rather than the other way around.

I get that you'd probably need to do some ducting to get truly useful amounts of airflow. Perhaps some simple sheet metal deflectors kind of on the idea of what's starting to show up for front brake cooling, and maybe a vertical orientation of the fins wouldn't be the best choice.

Norm

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
My Dash has a read out:
IMG_20200213_123942866[1].jpg

r00tbeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
2015-17 do not have the gauge. We need Forscan to read the temps.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10

Sponsored

LS_Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Anyone make a finned differential cover yet?
I would also love to know this. I am having axle temp problems on the track but the dedicated GT350 cooler is just too expensive and complex for me. Does anyone have an update if there is a finned diff cover for these cars yet?

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I would also love to know this. I am having axle temp problems on the track but the dedicated GT350 cooler is just too expensive and complex for me. Does anyone have an update if there is a finned diff cover for these cars yet?
Have you tried fluid change and exhaust wrap yet? I've only had one warning with this but no limp mode (so far).
Sponsored