2018 GT PP1 : delayed throttle response

OP
OP

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
it's Torque management. if you want to get rid of it you need to get a tune and possibly void your powertrain warranty
It could be torque management yes. It's a pain to tune on the vette by the way...

No tune or mods, I'm not confident this new 5.0 is reliable
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I was thinking how bad this “throttle response” is in my 18 GT 6m. My FRS, my ST, slight blips on the throttle and rev match while down shifting perfect and even In my good friends 1LE, though I really loved the auto blip feature it has.. with the GT, it seems I almost have to floor the thing to get the rpms up to do a proper rev match. Race mode seems to help a little in the response, but still not as direct any of my previous cars. I don’t have that direct feel of throttle input to what the engine does like other NA cars and like my tuned ST.. I have the LTH ready to go on, can’t wait for a tune to see if it helps.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Then why doesn’t my C7 GS do this ? My 14 GT500 didn’t do it either. Drove a Audi R8 and didn’t do it. Need some other owners of the 18 Mustang GT to chime in please. Thanks.
Mine dies it

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Lol..was waiting on that post..It does solve the problem but it's not the proper way. ..and there's negatives like shortened tire life for instance..
Pedalmax will literally do nothing to get rid of this. All pedalmax does is change the throttle input vs output ratio. The ecu is what causes the throttle plate to open so slow. You can have whatever setting you want on the pedalmax but the ecu will still apply torque management because the pedalmax cant alter the ecu software. Pedalmax is the biggest ripoff you can buy for any car and they lie about what it actually does. My cheap 40 dollar RC radio controller does this except with a graph and more customization along with 20 other functions. Save the 300 and put it towards a tune that will actually solve the issue.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Mines not an 18 but it does this unless I put it in track mode and hold the TCS button until AdvanceTrac turns off. Mash the throttle then and it blows the tires away instantly. They're making sure that average Joe that just traded in a 110hp fiesta on a new GT doesn't eat a telephone pole because they can't handle the power. 20 years ago 350-400hp felt scary as hell without the nannies for people that never drove anything like that. I still miss my cable linkage though.

winja

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
hey there everyone. sorry for bringing a "dead" thread back to life, but i got some news for ya. i have an 18 gt premium, running 93 octane gas and its irrelevant as to what mode the button is on, and it doesnt matter if the TCS is off or even if the nanny computer is off, my throttle response is a joke. its not so much a "lag" when you are moving, but a blip of the throttle with literally do NOTHING to engine rpm. its SOOOO bad that i sat my 79 F150 next to the mustang and blipped the throttle on a carbed truck, (blip is a quick 1/4 pedal or so jab of the throttle) and achieved 3000 rpm. the exact same blip on the mustang achieved 600 rpm. thats not a typo thats six hundred rpm. is this due to fly by wire or is this an actual throttle position sensor type error? the dealership seems less than interested in looking at it.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
hey there everyone. sorry for bringing a "dead" thread back to life, but i got some news for ya. i have an 18 gt premium, running 93 octane gas and its irrelevant as to what mode the button is on, and it doesnt matter if the TCS is off or even if the nanny computer is off, my throttle response is a joke. its not so much a "lag" when you are moving, but a blip of the throttle with literally do NOTHING to engine rpm. its SOOOO bad that i sat my 79 F150 next to the mustang and blipped the throttle on a carbed truck, (blip is a quick 1/4 pedal or so jab of the throttle) and achieved 3000 rpm. the exact same blip on the mustang achieved 600 rpm. thats not a typo thats six hundred rpm. is this due to fly by wire or is this an actual throttle position sensor type error? the dealership seems less than interested in looking at it.
Sounds like an issue with the TPS or something to do with pedal input. I certainly don't have this issue, but I also have been tuned for a few thousand miles. Throttle mapping is more aggressive with most aftermarket tunes.

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
Ford is protecting noob drivers that haven't/can't drive a car with some power. Tune it or deal with it seem to be the only real options.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I have a '19 Bullitt (7th Mustang) and the other day, from a stop in first gear (6MT, of curse) and Sport mode I gave it almost full throttle and it felt like the car barely moved. The power eventually kicked in, the car broke traction a little and I finally got going. It was so bad I checked to make sure I was actually in first gear. I was crossing traffic so Ford's safety feature was anything but safe.
(EDIT: 93 Octane)

I know it was the computer causing the problem and I understand why, but I never expected it to nothing for what seemed like forever. Yes, the modular 5.0 is an absolute wimp when it comes to low end torque, but this was the computer, not the torque curve.

Also, a throttle "enhancer" doesn't help at all. I have a PedalMax and it was turned off that day. Later I turned it on and tried the same thing, but under safer circumstances. No improvement. I love my PedalMax because It does exactly what it's supposed to do, but it'll take a tune to fix this delay.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
If I set my 15 GT for sport plus I can break the tires loose from a stop by mashing on the pedal...even overtaking cars on the highway at 60 torque response seems fast. Before I know it I'm going into triple digits. Not tuned and with 87 gas.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I’m convinced these cars all have this lag/delay/whatever you want to call it. Anyone who says theirs don’t just aren’t perceptive enough to notice.

Mine did it bone stock and has done it with every time revision I’ve gotten to follow my mods.

bigwill90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mines does it also from a dig slight delay .I was thinking maybe false knock from my long tubes causing the esu to pull timing???? A10 Lund tuned .

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I’m convinced these cars all have this lag/delay/whatever you want to call it. Anyone who says theirs don’t just aren’t perceptive enough to notice.

Mine did it bone stock and has done it with every time revision I’ve gotten to follow my mods.
What about for the A10? I often get worried driving in the rain while in normal mode in this car as I wished the throttle mapping and downshifts were less agressive for throttle position.

My prior car had horrible throttle lag. Then when you got into a panic and mashed harder it would over apply throttle. Luckily with that car you could hold the downshift paddle for instant power without having to wonder what would happen.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have noticed the initial power lag after quick mash of the throttle as well in my '18 GT A10 PP1. In 3rd gear, at 4,000 rpm for example, when you quickly mash the throttle, for the first couple of tenths of a second the engine pulls like throttle is only half open, then goes wide open. There is a big difference in power. And I know it isn't just because of the torque curve, there's definitely something happening with the computer/throttle/timing/cam/something. What is crazy is sometimes it doesn't do it under the same gear/rpm conditions, and the power is full on, instant, and the initial thrust smashes you into your seat instantly. Other times, it takes a moment. I'd like to know exactly what is causing this. So far, I've seen traction control blamed, trying to save the drivetrain, a nanny for people who can't control power, but nothing definitive.

I'm leaning toward this is some type of traction control because if I recall, it doesn't happen at highway speeds in 4th or 5th gear (max. torque feels instant at higher speeds).
Sponsored