Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Has ford opened up 50% of the engines? :ninja:
My guess is that they have opened up most of the failures returned under warranty. They don’t have to open all manufactures engines to do a risk analysis.
Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Agreed. While techs aren’t always dumb on engine failure, they rarely have the proper training or equipment to do proper failure analysis. I am still not sure that the cylinder scuffing could be a separate issue. If we use our small forum sample size as an example, it looks like 50% have the rattle. If 50% of the engines out there had cylinder wall scuffing, Ford would be in panic mode.
Yes over 50% of voters have it including some no voters. We have heard the noise in non member YouTube videos (2019 Bullitt video) and a couple posters here have heard the noise in every car on the lot. That is a very large data set.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like how he says "pure speculation" when we are literally saying what the techs are telling us. :headbonk:
I'll call for truce here.

I hope you get your new engine quickly and it resolves the issue.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
But the tech, the one who opened the engine up and has been diagnosing the engine for weeks, would have an educated answer that would be above the claim of speculation.
Speculation it forming a theory without any evidence. There is evidence to suggest whatever the tech is saying because he/she has gone through everything else.

So shoot down the "armchair mechanics" but atleast give the techs the benefit of the doubt.

PS - Depending on how big the maintenance department is they can have the tools to check things like that.
Moving from speculation to educated guesses is not much of a step forward.... The tolerances could be out of spec or the tolerances are spot on and this is normal wear and operation of a spray bore liner engine.

I keep saying this over and over.... Our engines are significantly different then gen1/2 coyotes due to the spray bore liners. My educated guess is that the spray bore liners have a high thermal expansion and contraction rate which necessitates larger clearances between the bore and the piston much like how forged pistons need larger clearances. Right now I am giving Ford engineering and manufacturing quality control the benefit of the doubt in that the engines are to spec and this is just normal operation due to the tolerances required.

The facts so far as I see it are like so:

1. A large percentage of owners on this forum that have seen this thread have the rattle

2. People seem to be reporting varying degrees of rattle with some going away when warm

3. Ford is at least investigating the issue since they are having original engines sent back to them for analysis

4. Some engines have scoring which has a high degree of likelihood of being a result of the rattle

5. We still CANNOT confirm that this rattle and the light scoring will have any long-term durability effect or that this is outside of the normal operating conditions for an engine with spray bore liners.

As stated before, I am personally waiting until I see something from Ford (Most likely a TSB like the recent MT82 TSB) before I do anything with my vehicle. People having their engines replaced I think are going to be in a lottery as to which shortblock they get. It could have tighter dimensions and solve the issue or it could be worse then what they have. There is no way of knowing until something concrete is identified.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Guess this debacle isn't over for me, my car now has a noticeable knock. I never had it before, its like Nanashii. And my clutch grind issue has gotten worse, that H pipe will have to wait now...

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Guess this debacle isn't over for me, my car now has a noticeable knock. I never had it before, its like Nanashii. And my clutch grind issue has gotten worse, that H pipe will have to wait now...
Are you getting a CEL? I don’t think this car can knock a whole lot before setting that off.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Has anyone who has/had the rattle; driven a similar car that didn’t have the same rattle?

I’m assuming the knock is a legitimate catastrophic engine failure. My car has the 1800-2800 part throttle rattle. I’m waiting for a valve to drop...
Thanks,

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My buddies 2018 A10 does not have the rattle.
That’s what I was afraid of. My car sounds like the video in this thread’s first post. The OP already has his buy back done...I’m still in denial

Thanks.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks. This is definitely not the sound I have.
You guys remember this video - where he said that the "rattle" is getting even worse at idle ? (this is NOT the low RPM rattle)

Today I was a bit shocked as I found out I also have this "Idle" rattle - as many folks on youtube seem to have too.

For one this I can say - it is related to the A/C.
I never had it on when I started my car - expect today. And I got it.

Did a video on that :

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Moving from speculation to educated guesses is not much of a step forward.... The tolerances could be out of spec or the tolerances are spot on and this is normal wear and operation of a spray bore liner engine.

I keep saying this over and over.... Our engines are significantly different then gen1/2 coyotes due to the spray bore liners. My educated guess is that the spray bore liners have a high thermal expansion and contraction rate which necessitates larger clearances between the bore and the piston much like how forged pistons need larger clearances. Right now I am giving Ford engineering and manufacturing quality control the benefit of the doubt in that the engines are to spec and this is just normal operation due to the tolerances required.

The facts so far as I see it are like so:

1. A large percentage of owners on this forum that have seen this thread have the rattle

2. People seem to be reporting varying degrees of rattle with some going away when warm

3. Ford is at least investigating the issue since they are having original engines sent back to them for analysis

4. Some engines have scoring which has a high degree of likelihood of being a result of the rattle

5. We still CANNOT confirm that this rattle and the light scoring will have any long-term durability effect or that this is outside of the normal operating conditions for an engine with spray bore liners.

As stated before, I am personally waiting until I see something from Ford (Most likely a TSB like the recent MT82 TSB) before I do anything with my vehicle. People having their engines replaced I think are going to be in a lottery as to which shortblock they get. It could have tighter dimensions and solve the issue or it could be worse then what they have. There is no way of knowing until something concrete is identified.
Speculation....educated guesses... We could argue semantics all day. I am simply reporting what is being told to me by Ford.

Ill be in MD next week. We should meet up and chat about it. You know "Gburg"?

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speculation....educated guesses... We could argue semantics all day. I am simply reporting what is being told to me by Ford.

Ill be in MD next week. We should meet up and chat about it. You know "Gburg"?
By Ford "Support" most likely. I'm sure car manufacturing is a lot like Software where you have a Support organization with their knowledge and opinions and an Engineering organization responsible for the product. It could very well be that Support thinks the engine needs to be replaced under certain cases ex log a Bug - but in the end it (the bug) maybe closed as not a bug but expected behavior or an actual bug requiring a fix - once Engineering completes their analysis.

Anyhow eventually we should hopefully hear something back from the actual product owner and not so much Support/Service.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Today I was a bit shocked as I found out I also have this "Idle" rattle - as many folks on youtube seem to have too.

For one this I can say - it is related to the A/C.
I never had it on when I started my car - expect today. And I got it.

Did a video on that :

I don't think it's anything wrong with the AC. Instead, the tick comes and goes with the AC on and off because the change in the engine load due to the AC compressor running makes the tick appear. This has also been noted by a few other members in the past.

Slight changes in engine load at idle can make loose clearances start slapping/ticking.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is your knock most audible between idle and 1500 RPM with the clutch depressed?

Are you getting a CEL? I don’t think this car can knock a whole lot before setting that off.
I haven't gotten a CEL light yet, but I hear and feel clear knocking at idle and up to 1500 RPM once the engine is up to operating temperature. Above that RPM the engine and exhaust volume take over. I have a couple of videos posted of it this well. I'll be dropping my car off tomorrow, so we'll see what the dealer says.

Has anyone who has/had the rattle; driven a similar car that didn’t have the same rattle?

I’m assuming the knock is a legitimate catastrophic engine failure. My car has the 1800-2800 part throttle rattle. I’m waiting for a valve to drop...
Thanks,
I have driven 4-5 other 2018s at this point and did not notice the 1800-2200 RPM rattle in any of them. I am at 2600 miles and in addition to the knocking which I first noticed around 1800 miles, the rattle has become noticeably worse. It's louder even when the engine is up to operating temperature and the RPM range has increased up to ~3000 RPM.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Once again, the hardest part through all this is the term people are using to describe their sounds. Rattle, knock, tick, etc... They are all very different and it gets hard to keep track of which ones certain people are referring to.
Sponsored