Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106402

A member here reported it at the 5:20 second part starting - second rev in normal mode. Very hard to detect but I believe I hear it.
I think this is the video you are referring to. The rattle which this thread is mostly about doesn't occur at idle, so you wouldn't hear it in this particular case. There is a sequential ticking sound when revving the engine at idle which is what you may be referring to at 5:20. I think someone had this diagnosed and it was confirmed to be normal.

Once again, the hardest part through all this is the term people are using to describe their sounds. Rattle, knock, tick, etc... They are all very different and it gets hard to keep track of which ones certain people are referring to.
Yup, that's why I have posted videos of all the sounds my car is producing at the moment.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I saw one drive down Woodward yesterday when I was hanging with some other Camaro Club members. I’m not sure if it was a Ford M-plated vehicle or a newly purchased one. By the time I realized it was a Bullitt I could n’t make out the plate.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Are you getting a CEL? I don’t think this car can knock a whole lot before setting that off.
So far no CEL with the knock.

Is your knock most audible between idle and 1500 RPM with the clutch depressed
I know it seems to happen at idle. I am not sure if it changes with the clutch being depressed or not. I'll try looking into it. Please do me a favor and let me know what the dealer says to you.

I'm posting a video below, hope it works. You hear the HFPP alot, but in the background you should be able to hear a uneven knocking sound. I think I hear it more when I hover over the passenger side.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

I know it seems to happen at idle. I am not sure if it changes with the clutch being depressed or not. I'll try looking into it. Please do me a favor and let me know what the dealer says to you.

I'm posting a video below, hope it works. You hear the HFPP alot, but in the background you should be able to hear a uneven knocking sound. I think I hear it more when I hover over the passenger side.

I put on a pair of headphones and heard the same knock which I have between 2:25 and 2:45 in your video. Just like in my videos, it’s much easier to hear it with headphones.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Saturday my friend thats a trans line tech at the local dealership had his service writer friend give me a call and we set up a time to get my car in Thursday to have it notated. He claims "ford" knows about the engine tick and my third gear issue (not very smooth going in, not a grind just like a bump going into third and then being locked out 2nd,3rd,4th sometimes) He said "ford" wants them to have the car documented and thats about all he knows, they havent told them anything else other then right now "its a concern, but not a worry" he thinks this is just a product of the SBL but having some cars with noise others without makes it hard to say exactly. After my car get documented, this coming weekend the tune, headers and xpipe are being put on. he just wants me to get it notated before i do anything. This particular dealership doesnt care about the car being tuned.

Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I'm officially seeing a 2nd dealer about all my issues Thursday. Chose a SVT dealer this time based on my salesman's advice. Had to cancel my H-pipe appointment but I can't put that on feeling stuck in limbo anymore.

Nanashii I'm anxiously waiting to see how it went for you today.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Just want to say shout out to Big River for setting this thread up and helping me on my journey.

I will update everyone when I hear more.

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I have it also a10 - the low rpm rattle
Not in neutral
2200 2500 rpm
Lessens when warm but still noticeable

Much more noticeable in sport+ vs normal mode

Changed my oil at Ford at 1200 miles. Drove about 100 miles and found oil wasn’t registering on the stick.
They had only put 8 quarts in it.
Lesson learned - will always check now.

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

I don't think that is actual knock (detonation or pinging). If you had a cylinder knocking consistently at idle, I would expect a CEL. It might be worth borrowing a code reader and seeing if there is a fault history.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

Do you the rattle under light load? That is usually the key factor. I hear the bbq tick in your video. I didn't have any when idling. I've posted this before of mine idling. Everything sounds normal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Just want to say shout out to Big River for setting this thread up and helping me on my journey.

I will update everyone when I hear more.
Thanks! Here to help anyone that doesn't believe their rattle is normal. Especially when the car becomes too embarssing to drive. When it reaches that point, it doesn't matter what causes it you hate driving it. It should get fixed no matter what.

If someone with the rattle doesn't think it's a problem, that's cool with me because it is always a personal choice on how you treat your car.

Something that would be interesting is to see what the cylinders on a GT350 look like. If piston slap is normal and won't cause long term issues, then I would expect their cylinders to be fairly clean. I have a buddy who is rebuilding his 2014 GT and he thought my scoring was a problem.

Last edited:

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I have it also a10
Not in neutral
2200 2500 rpm
Lessens when warm but still noticeable

Much more noticeable in sport+ vs normal mode
Armchair quarterback here but I think if it changes depending on drive mode it's the fuel system. We know that the drive modes change the throttle mapping and possibly the fuel mapping (drive in snow mode and it's like someone put an egg under the accelerator) so it would make sense that they tweak both fuel systems.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I don't think that is actual knock (detonation or pinging). If you had a cylinder knocking consistently at idle, I would expect a CEL. It might be worth borrowing a code reader and seeing if there is a fault history.
Any idea what else it can be? I'm going to dealer#2 on Thursday. I'm gonna be adamant I want this bitch scoped. I need to know one way or the other before I start modding it. The shop has my H-pipe and I'm sick of waiting.

Do you the rattle under light load? That is usually the key factor. I hear the bbq tick in your video. I didn't have any when idling. I've posted this before of mine idling. Everything sounds normal.
Oh buddy, I have EVERY issue there is man. The clutch grinding which has gotten worse now, doing it any shift over 3k rpm which is ridiculous. This is what bugs me the most, a new clutch should not feel this shit. I have the rattle issue, documented as normal at the dealer. I got the BBQ that goes away (this doesn't bug me at all). And now that random knock or whatever it is at random times. We'll see what dealer #2 says.

Also want to thank you for your help. Atleast I know what to tell them to look for when I go in.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I know mine is not HPFP related sound. Just rolled over 1K and noise is getting worse. Starting to hear a cold start ticking as well (once again not HPFP sound). My 2200 rpm chatter now exists all the way to about 3000 rpm's. If that isn't enough, I have a new noise coming from the drivetrain that just started on the way to work this morning. It sounds like a vibration that gets louder as rpm's increase. It's very noticeable and a sound I haven't seen discussed or heard on any videos yet. I'll try and get a video of it later. Really starting to lose confidence in this entire drivetrain. Missing my 2005 LS2 GTO. I should never have sold that car.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Tech thinks the bore/pistons are out of spec. (cylinder could be out of round)
The sound was confirmed as "abnormal" when i first dropped it off. They pin pointed the sound to be inside the block. (for you armchair mechanics that is not the fuel pump) Engine was taken apart and scoring was found.

To save people the issue of looking back... my issue was as follows....

Rattle at cruising between 2k-3k RPMS
Rattle became worse after aprox 2k Miles.
Rattle began to occur between 1.5k-3.5k RPMS
Noise bounced off walls of buildings as i passed by, and if i did a drive by you'd hear it.

I think the easiest thing to do for those people who are worried would be to have the dealer pin point the rattle with a stethoscope.
Thanks for this post as well. I have more ammo to use now. I don't know if a new block is what I want, just wanna know if my car is normal or not, I'm assuming it ain't.
Sponsored