Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
So you're getting a long block? Doesn't sound like a normal fix for a "normal" sound
Longblock/shortblock replacement may not eliminate the noise. We just do not know - too early and way too many people have it - and I'm sure not all have a need for a new motor.

Time will tell.
Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
So you're getting a long block? Doesn't sound like a normal fix for a "normal" sound
I am getting a long block. It would mostly be because the sound isn't normal. :cheers: Neither is scoring.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I am getting a long block. It would mostly be because the sound isn't normal. :cheers: Neither is scoring.
Awesome! That should resolve the problem. I got a text from another guy who also had his long block replaced on his 2018 GT and the rattle is gone.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Awesome! That should resolve the problem. I got a text from another guy who also had his long block replaced on his 2018 GT and the rattle is gone.
More than likely what is happening is there was a quality control issue, and we know Ford has had issues with this in the past, that caused some of us to have the excessive piston slap. Our of those that have this issue, some are worse than others.

I can't stress this enough - When you watch our videos you are not hearing it correctly. Everyone knows the saying "man this exhaust sounds even better in person". Same goes here. The rattle sounds worse in person. Back in May i showed someone the video and they said it was nothing. I took them for a ride around the warehouse district and they were like "hell naw take this jont back".

There are people that are without a car for 40 days because of a shift fork.

Ford is great and the mustang still is an amazing vehicle. I was just unlucky. :first:

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Pure speculation. You have no qualifications to make those statements.
I can tell you as a fuel system development engineer for 5 years, that the noise in my engine is not a fuel pump. I can also tell you that I haven’t heard anything like it on any diesel or gasoline engine. The closest comparison I could think of, was a time I had a test bench fuel pump drawing in a lot of air. It would make a horrible rattle-like noise depending on pressure level. It still didn’t sound like my car. It was a 3000bar pump, not a 2000psi pump.
I will continue to state that I don’t know if the noise is a real mechanical failure, but I know it isn’t just normal DI injection equipment noise.

I understand your pushback against the paranoia, and I agree that there is a lot of jumping to conclusions here. However, I do believe in a healthy level of caution when throwing mods at an engine that seems to be prone to unusual noises and possible failures.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
We are all trying to help each other out. Its been proven that the piston slap rattle is not normal. If it was then Ford would not be replacing engines just to make the customer happy because they are good at pissing people off. Its not OCD or paranoia to want a $50,000 sports car to be worth driving. My 5.7 hemi has cold engine piston slap but it's gone once the engine is warm.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I literally cannot get my car to not rattle any more. Remember how we said just to drive with more throttle and keep it above 3k RPM? Nope still happens just in higher RPM.
[MENTION=34321]Madtwos[/MENTION] tell everyone what the tech said about your car. My rattle has also progressively gotten louder. There's no way it's the HPFP because on a cold start the HPFP runs until the engine warms up and the RPM drop a little. Not nearly as loud as the echoing rattle I get.
you mean the rattle originally occured just between let's say 2200 -3000 RPM and now additionally above 3000 RPM after a few weeks/months ?

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I can tell you as a fuel system development engineer for 5 years, that the noise in my engine is not a fuel pump. I can also tell you that I haven’t heard anything like it on any diesel or gasoline engine. The closest comparison I could think of, was a time I had a test bench fuel pump drawing in a lot of air. It would make a horrible rattle-like noise depending on pressure level. It still didn’t sound like my car. It was a 3000bar pump, not a 2000psi pump.
I will continue to state that I don’t know if the noise is a real mechanical failure, but I know it isn’t just normal DI injection equipment noise.

I understand your pushback against the paranoia, and I agree that there is a lot of jumping to conclusions here. However, I do believe in a healthy level of caution when throwing mods at an engine that seems to be prone to unusual noises and possible failures.
I like how he says "pure speculation" when we are literally saying what the techs are telling us. :headbonk:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I like how he says "pure speculation" when we are literally saying what the techs are telling us. :headbonk:
I doubt that tech as any of the proper tools or tolerance information to make those statements mean much more then speculation either.... That is not what they do, Ford engineers do that when the shortblock arrives at their facility for inspection. Just because the tech tells you something does not mean it is fact. Now I too do not think it is solely related to the fuel system although it could be a contributing factor to the noise in certain conditions.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I doubt that tech as any of the proper tools or tolerance information to make those statements mean much more then speculation either.... That is not what they do, Ford engineers do that when the shortblock arrives at their facility for inspection. Just because the tech tells you something does not mean it is fact. Now I too do not think it is solely related to the fuel system although it could be a contributing factor to the noise in certain conditions.
Agreed. While techs aren’t always dumb on engine failure, they rarely have the proper training or equipment to do proper failure analysis. I am still not sure that the cylinder scuffing could be a separate issue. If we use our small forum sample size as an example, it looks like 50% have the rattle. If 50% of the engines out there had cylinder wall scuffing, Ford would be in panic mode.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
But the tech, the one who opened the engine up and has been diagnosing the engine for weeks, would have an educated answer that would be above the claim of speculation.
Speculation it forming a theory without any evidence. There is evidence to suggest whatever the tech is saying because he/she has gone through everything else.

So shoot down the "armchair mechanics" but atleast give the techs the benefit of the doubt.

PS - Depending on how big the maintenance department is they can have the tools to check things like that.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. While techs aren’t always dumb on engine failure, they rarely have the proper training or equipment to do proper failure analysis. I am still not sure that the cylinder scuffing could be a separate issue. If we use our small forum sample size as an example, it looks like 50% have the rattle. If 50% of the engines out there had cylinder wall scuffing, Ford would be in panic mode.
Has ford opened up 50% of the engines? :ninja:

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally some intelligence. Spot on.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I agree with you 100%. Thank you.
Sponsored