Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I'm ready to dump this bitch and cut my losses if my appointment in 2 weeks doesn't go well. Clutch grind. Engine rattle. These things seriously make this car not enjoyable to drive.
I feel your pain man, would you trade and take a loss? Ugh I only bought a new car because I wanted a 5.0, otherwise I would have driven my 05 V6 until it broke down.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I'm ready to dump this bitch and cut my losses if my appointment in 2 weeks doesn't go well. Clutch grind. Engine rattle. These things seriously make this car not enjoyable to drive.
I am sorry to hear your troubles man :/

Now watch some people jump on this thread and tell you this is acceptable for a car with a 35K starting price :frusty:

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Like [MENTION=34566]BladeGT[/MENTION] I'd take a trade in loss. It'll be like working for free for a month.
Does a car's value decrease if Ford places a short/long block in it? Cause even if they fix the rattle, I have not seen any documented cases of people having clutches replaced for the grind. So can you live with the grind but no rattle? Otherwise wouldn't it be wiser to trade it now before it gets deemed to need a new block? My grind is now occurring on any shift above 3k, which is hilarious if that is deemed normal, again.

Last edited:

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I started getting the infamous 'BBQ tick' on cold starts on my new 2018 GT starting at 2000miles. Im at 2200ish right now, I definitely don't notice it all the time and I have not noticed it at all when warmed up and under any load. I was thinking of doing my first oil change early(Mobil One full synthetic) to see if that alleviates it?

Anything else I should do, I am telling my dealer ASAP for sure, as I haven't even made my first payment on it yet

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
If I need a new block I'll get over 30 days in the shop. I already have 15.
Damn, what are they doing in this time? Does it take that long to scope the car? I assume they're just playing phone tag with Ford.

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Like [MENTION=34566]BladeGT[/MENTION] I'd take a trade in loss. It'll be like working for free for a month.
Send me some money:clap2:

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Damn, what are they doing in this time? Does it take that long to scope the car? I assume they're just playing phone tag with Ford.
There is a process. They diagnose and diagnose more. Dealer could say "we need a new block" and Ford says "dig deeper and make sure"

Then the tech says "We still need a new block" and ford says "No...you are a armchair mechanic that is assuming...."
Tech says "duh....new block please" and ford says "fine...just do it...."

Im pretty sure that is exactly how the back and fourth goes. :headbonk:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Any idea what else it can be? I'm going to dealer#2 on Thursday. I'm gonna be adamant I want this bitch scoped. I need to know one way or the other before I start modding it. The shop has my H-pipe and I'm sick of waiting.
No idea. I am in the same situation. Maybe valve noise

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I know mine is not HPFP related sound. Just rolled over 1K and noise is getting worse. Starting to hear a cold start ticking as well (once again not HPFP sound). My 2200 rpm chatter now exists all the way to about 3000 rpm's. If that isn't enough, I have a new noise coming from the drivetrain that just started on the way to work this morning. It sounds like a vibration that gets louder as rpm's increase. It's very noticeable and a sound I haven't seen discussed or heard on any videos yet. I'll try and get a video of it later. Really starting to lose confidence in this entire drivetrain. Missing my 2005 LS2 GTO. I should never have sold that car.
For the life of me, I cannot get a video to capture this noise. It didn't make the noise until I almost got home tonight (probably 15 minutes of a 20 minute drive). Took the wife for a ride, and it started making the noise again. We can both easily hear it, but it doesn't come through on video (I may have to try it on quiet mode as the exhaust may be drowning it out on the video). The sound is a whining vibration sound coming from what sounds like the front of the transmission area. The car has to be good and hot before it starts making the noise. It seems to be above 3500 rpm and gets more noticeable as rpm's rise. I really don't feel a vibration though, it just has a rattle/vibration/whining type sound. Here's a video clip, but it's not real prevalent to me in the video compared to what it actually sounds like.

[ame]

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
For the life of me, I cannot get a video to capture this noise. It didn't make the noise until I almost got home tonight (probably 15 minutes of a 20 minute drive). Took the wife for a ride, and it started making the noise again. We can both easily hear it, but it doesn't come through on video (I may have to try it on quiet mode as the exhaust may be drowning it out on the video). The sound is a whining vibration sound coming from what sounds like the front of the transmission area. The car has to be good and hot before it starts making the noise. It seems to be above 3500 rpm and gets more noticeable as rpm's rise. I really don't feel a vibration though, it just has a rattle/vibration/whining type sound. Here's a video clip, but it's not real prevalent to me in the video compared to what it actually sounds like.

I hear it. Headphones FTW

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
[ame]

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Dude should wear his seat belt. Head through the windshield can really fook up your day.

Getting two bad motors is pretty bad luck. If Ford knows there are bad engines out there, they better inventory the motors they have in the warehouses and red tag those from ever getting sent out.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
^^^ Dude should wear his seat belt. Head through the windshield can really fook up your day.

Getting two bad motors is pretty bad luck. If Ford knows there are bad engines out there, they better inventory the motors they have in the warehouses and red tag those from ever getting sent out.
Something tells me they don't know how to prevent the rattle yet.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well dealership #2 also didn't think there are any issues. They told me to keep tracking the noises and to revisit the subject during the next service appointment. This is turning out to be a lottery for finding a dealer willing to look/tear into the motor based on one or two circumstantial noises without any obvious failures, CELs, etc. I am guessing most of us will keep getting this answer. Hopefully Ford will issue a TSB at some point.
Sponsored