GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
So it sounds like with this upgrade you will get NAV showing on the cluster, right? Will it do this when using CarPlay as well? Just curious as this would be a really nice feature and help justify spending the money for this upgrade. I also really want the heated wheel so I'm kind of waiting until I can do it all at once :-)
Sponsored

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
So it sounds like with this upgrade you will get NAV showing on the cluster, right? Will it do this when using CarPlay as well? Just curious as this would be a really nice feature and help justify spending the money for this upgrade. I also really want the heated wheel so I'm kind of waiting until I can do it all at once :-)
Does not work with Carplay, only the factory nav. I've found myself using Carplay less and less now. Always seems to drop connection to the device randomly, if it even connects at all, and regardless of what cable I use, Apple or aftermarket. I'm actually enjoying the instant connection with the factory Bluetooth and the music picks up right where I left off when I leave work.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I may start using carplay when they add waze to it later this year however I don't like the way carplay is now. I like being able to see the map on the home screen. Waze is SUPER slow for me on sync 3. Its way faster on my friends phone. I have no idea why because I have an iPhone X.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Carplay and Android Auto always wind up disappointing me. It's a shame as the voice integration is great to have.

The Sync apps are also a bit of a let down given their tendency to disappear or hang up.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Any news on the differences between the 2018 and 2019 MY clusters? It's probably only different firmware versions like between the 4 different 2018 partnumbers, but you never know what else might have changed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Any news on the differences between the 2018 and 2019 MY clusters? It's probably only different firmware versions like between the 4 different 2018 partnumbers, but you never know what else might have changed.
So its just a software change. We've tried flashing the new Ford software to them but it doesn't change anything. The colors are changed slightly and how the colors move as the needles move.... Otherwise it seems to be the same. The one major difference is on the Bullitt. It has a 180mph speedo. This could be an as built change with the new software but it could also be bullit only model cluster. The clusters have Ford software then they have a secondary software. We have no idea how to update the other software. Only the ford software can be touched.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The colors are changed slightly and how the colors move as the needles move.... Otherwise it seems to be the same.
So that is the result if you flash the 2019 firmware onto a 2018 cluster?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So that is the result if you flash the 2019 firmware onto a 2018 cluster?
No. Flashing Fords software does nothing. You need whoever makes the actual software for it but we don't have it.

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
This write-up is spot on, reading thru it a few times gave me the confidence to dig into the programming of my car. The mechanical aspect of the upgrade is very straight forward, it takes roughly an hour and a half to install. Using FORscan for the first time is a little nerve racking, but with assistance from breeves002, there were no issues in programming the cluster. If you have been thinking about this upgrade for your car, this write-up will get you thru.

A lot of credit is due breeves002 for the effort he put in to get this info out.

Thanks again,
James

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
I will be getting my cluster in a couple of weeks, thank you Breeves002. I do have a question what is the best tool to trim the back of the dash with? I have a Dremel.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
^ Following that as well

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I will be getting my cluster in a couple of weeks, thank you Breeves002. I do have a question what is the best tool to trim the back of the dash with? I have a Dremel.
A Dremel will work fine. I used a sawzall which sounds excessive but worked perfectly.

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Dremel Multi Max tool that's used to cut wood trim for the interior of your house it's got a reciprocating saw blade on it makes a real clean cut on the inside and I have to worry about digging too deep and hidden wiring harnesses or anything

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
How did you all keep from cutting the air vent behind the opening? I used a saws all blade on an handle, but still managed to slice into the vent. I have it patched.

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
How did you all keep from cutting the air vent behind the opening? I used a saws all blade on an handle, but still managed to slice into the vent. I have it patched.
I used a Dremmel Multi Max Tool, about $65.00 at home depot. A very practical tool to have in the garage.
Sponsored