Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Former Mustang and GT350 owner that has used this thread extensively to retrofit an active exhaust on a 2013 Roush Raptor.

Some info for those wanting to do a Retrofit on a 2015-2017 with either open/close or variable valves.

There's two types of valves:

FR3Z-5K245-A has 3 pins and is used on the GT350. It's non-variable (open/closed).

FR3Z-5K245-B has 4 pins and is used on the 2018-2022 active exhaust mustangs. The forth pin tells the PCM it's current position so the PCM can vary it.

I found a few easy to install retrofit controller options:

FR3Z-5K245-A can use Roush P/N PT00042555 ($260 for harness + button) to control these open/closed valves. If you want the lowest cost active exhaust retrofit solution. You could even retrofit the active exhaust buttons on the GT350 if you want a super stock functionality.

FR3Z-5K245-B (2018+ Valves) can use Hooker's Active Exhaust Controller to control these variable valves with even greater control than stock active exhaust.

I originally was going to go this route until I found QTP's screamer mufflers which are even cheaper than the OEM options above.
That’s really good info, thank you for posting!!
Sponsored

BPH713

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible
You have to activate the feature in the PCM for it to work, only the 2018's came with it 'On' from the factory when not installed as an option... Your choices are to fabricate your own controller, pay for a 'tune' from PBD or Lund and ask for the feature to be activated or buy a HP Tuners device and do it yourself.

Capture.JPG
May I ask what OBD device do you use to bring up this menu?

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

BPH713

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible
Hello,
May I ask what you mean by " You have to activate the feature in the PCM for it to work, only the 2018's came with it 'On' ? My S550 is a 2018 model. Although it came without the Active Exhaust, the wiring harness is there at the rear of the car. I have just purchased the wires from each muffler actuator and the Y wire that they each plug into. So I am a bit confused....will I still need to "enable active exhaust" in forscan in order to use my newly purchased active exhaust?

BPH713

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible
Thanks for your reply....is the software for this MPVI2 plus, extra? Or is it a free download once you buy the mpvi2plus? There's a local fella that has the hardward piece for sale, I am just unsure if I will need to purchase additional software in order to use it?

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Hello,
May I ask what you mean by " You have to activate the feature in the PCM for it to work, only the 2018's came with it 'On' ? My S550 is a 2018 model. Although it came without the Active Exhaust, the wiring harness is there at the rear of the car. I have just purchased the wires from each muffler actuator and the Y wire that they each plug into. So I am a bit confused....will I still need to "enable active exhaust" in forscan in order to use my newly purchased active exhaust?
You also need to have the fuse and relay present as well as the harness in back. You will have to activate the feature in FORScan but shouldn't have to modify the PCM like those of us with '19+ models.

Thanks for your reply....is the software for this MPVI2 plus, extra? Or is it a free download once you buy the mpvi2plus? There's a local fella that has the hardward piece for sale, I am just unsure if I will need to purchase additional software in order to use it?
Software is free for download without purchase. MVPI2 Plus purchase will allow you to do everything BUT upload tune until you buy credits from HPTuners for each vehicle you wish to tune. My 2019 required 4 credits at $50/ea.

AndreiVHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 6G (2021)
I believe this matches up with everything I've seen so far.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.43.03 PM.png
Hi,
On my 2021:

To Pin2 on RH wasn't Gray cable but White with blue from trunk harness

To Pin 4 on RH actuator wasn't White with blue cable from trunk harness but Gray with Orange stripe from trunk harness

These two misstakes cause that digital cluster gives me error exhaust mode selection not available

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
Hi,
On my 2021:

To Pin2 on RH wasn't Gray cable but White with blue from trunk harness

To Pin 4 on RH actuator wasn't White with blue cable from trunk harness but Gray with Orange stripe from trunk harness

These two misstakes cause that digital cluster gives me error exhaust mode selection not available
Did your trunk connector look the same as mine?

Sponsored

BPH713

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible
I have an 18. Followed the instructions about the forscan. Installed MAGNAFLOW street exhaust and added the 3 harnesses, and exhaust drive motors, works like stock. Couldn't be simpler on the 18s.
16052978831263458573131354544802.jpg
Hello, I have a 2018 S550, I just purchased a full catback from a smashed Mach 1, I have now purchased the three wires and I just need to toggle on the active exhaust, like you did... Can you walk me through it?

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
Yes, exactly.
and those changes you made fixed the problem or are you still experiencing it? I just got the catback installed on Saturday so now i'm just sitting down with the wiring

AndreiVHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 6G (2021)
and those changes you made fixed the problem or are you still experiencing it? I just got the catback installed on Saturday so now i'm just sitting down with the wiring
This changes solved all my problems and exhaust works like original. Slelect mode from digital cluster, Good neighbor, exhaust is in my mode etc.

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
This changes solved all my problems and exhaust works like original. Slelect mode from digital cluster, Good neighbor, exhaust is in my mode etc.
So does this seem correct for 2021+?

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.04.26 PM.png