Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
What if I dont have that plug? Can I still manage a plug and play install for my car? 2018 GT PP1. See pics
Sorry, plug/play only works if you have the harness already. If look around the posts in this thread, you can find ways others have made it work when no harness was present. It can be done but much more involved without the harness.
Sponsored

thirdoptik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack
Sorry, plug/play only works if you have the harness already. If look around the posts in this thread, you can find ways others have made it work when no harness was present. It can be done but much more involved without the harness.
Thanks for the information. I'll definitely look into it more.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, don't give up on it. In the end, it is worth it no matter which method you require to get Active working. The difference between Track Mode and Quiet/Cop Mode is almost like night and day. And that is with Kooks catless headers and full 3inch pipes front to back (no neck down on my setup).

BatmanJohnson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
You don't have the harness, that's just the plug for the evap.

Check out this thread here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/adding-active-exhaust-on-2018-gt.102308/post-2442030

eHazel has done this mod, and while it's not a step by step guide, it has a lot of good info.

First, check to see if you have the fuse and relay in the fuse box in the hood of your car.

Then you need to run 5 wires from the front to the back. 4 of those wires tie into the driver's side, and the other 1 is for power which ties into the passenger side. This is what the plug would have been if your car had came with it.

You then need to connect that to a Y harness, which then splits and connects to the active exhaust valve harness on the left and right side.

Take a look at this vid for an overview

BatmanJohnson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Need help! 2018 Mustang, I ran wiring from the front footwells using taps, installed the y-connector and cables to the actuators. Did updates with forscan. I now have the different Exhaust options "Quiet, Normal, Sport, Track"
however I'm not able to select any of them?

I'm not sure if the taps are making a good connection or not, does anyone know what should be measured at the 4pins at rear of car?
If you can't check for power, perhaps you can check for continuity to see if the circuit is open or closed? It sounds like maybe the car can't select modes because it doesn't think the valves are connected.

Sponsored

derwin252

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erland
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Anyone has the part number for the harness that come from the spear tire area?

Rooz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I installed the active exhaust. I have a big issue now. If I keep the exhaust on normal everything is ok and no issues whatsoever. The same with Sport mode, no issues at all.
However, when I select either track or quiet mode, after a couple of seconds (and can I hear the valves moving at this point) a message pops up saying exhaust mode not available and it goes back to normal.
I put a stick in the exhaust and was able to move the right muffler’s valve all the way to closed without much resistance, I should note that I can see this valve being moved by the actuators when I select modes so it is connected to the actuators and not completely loose. The left valve doesn’t budge at all with external force.
Now I’m trying to think what I need to do. Is my valve broken? Are the springs broken? The actuators?
Also, I do hear a rattling sound from the mufflers pretty much constantly while driving, but it seems to be coming from both valves and not just one.

Synergy720

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I installed the active exhaust. I have a big issue now. If I keep the exhaust on normal everything is ok and no issues whatsoever. The same with Sport mode, no issues at all.
However, when I select either track or quiet mode, after a couple of seconds (and can I hear the valves moving at this point) a message pops up saying exhaust mode not available and it goes back to normal.
I put a stick in the exhaust and was able to move the right muffler’s valve all the way to closed without much resistance, I should note that I can see this valve being moved by the actuators when I select modes so it is connected to the actuators and not completely loose. The left valve doesn’t budge at all with external force.
Now I’m trying to think what I need to do. Is my valve broken? Are the springs broken? The actuators?
Also, I do hear a rattling sound from the mufflers pretty much constantly while driving, but it seems to be coming from both valves and not just one.
Honestly it sounds as if the spring came unseated. Either this or the actuator is broken. I'd say drop the muffler and pull the actuator and see if its set or not.

Rooz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Honestly it sounds as if the spring came unseated. Either this or the actuator is broken. I'd say drop the muffler and pull the actuator and see if its set or not.
Could the valve itself be broken? Or that doesn’t happen with these models?
The mechanic told me the valve is broken, but I’m having doubts.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Could the valve itself be broken? Or that doesn’t happen with these models?
The mechanic told me the valve is broken, but I’m having doubts.
Switch sides and see if problem follows the actuator or remains on the side it is now.

Sponsored

derwin252

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erland
Vehicle(s)
You have to activate the feature in the PCM for it to work, only the 2018's came with it 'On' from the factory when not installed as an option... Your choices are to fabricate your own controller, pay for a 'tune' from PBD or Lund and ask for the feature to be activated or buy a HP Tuners device and do it yourself.

Capture.JPG
Help I know I'm 3 years late but after turning on the active exhaust feature with the tune I can't select the modes anymore. I could before I turned the active exhaust on with VCM Editor. although nothing actually happened it wasn't greyed out.

derwin252

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erland
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2022 with the plug in the trunk with all the wires and the fuzes. I bought all the harnesses hoping it would be plug n play. Did the forscan and the tune. I have the exhaust options but nothing happens when I switch modes or turn on the car. Anyone know what I'm missing? I don't get the no exhaust mode error neither

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Yeah, don't give up on it. In the end, it is worth it no matter which method you require to get Active working. The difference between Track Mode and Quiet/Cop Mode is almost like night and day. And that is with Kooks catless headers and full 3inch pipes front to back (no neck down on my setup).
I totally agree with this. I just did Texas Speed headers, catted and connected to my Borla S type cat back. It is stupid loud in any mode but quiet. Very glorious when opened up but nice to be able to quieten down when needed. I never used quiet mode before, actually the opposite, ran in track mode 90% of the time :)

derwin252

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erland
Vehicle(s)
For any one with 2022 trying to do this. I had the plug in the trunk that I used the wiring harness for a gt500. Removed the wiring for the diff cooler. Everything was plug and play. Make sure you have the fuses, turn on turntable exhaust in IPC with forscan and activate the exhaust with a turn.
Sponsored

Last edited: