Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
What did you all do about the missing plates? Does anyone have a picture of one?
My new actuators did not come with plates on the bottom but I wouldn't worry about it honestly. It's not getting that hot back there. You could wrap them with the reflective tape that others have mentioned or make your own plate out of sheet metal. Not sure about other Active exhausts but the Borlas have an opening at the corner edge, probably to be used as a peephole to ensure correct installation of the actuator clips. This hole should also allow "hot" air to escape from underneath the actuator.
Sponsored

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
What did you all do about the missing plates? Does anyone have a picture of one?
There are pictures of the heat shield on the first post, it's the piece of metal off to the side here:

img_2098-jpg.jpg

I picked up some stuff called Inferno Shield on Amazon and fit it underneath both actuators. Here's the link to it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UPL61U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6em0Fb8G9HE5V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know how effective it is but I feel better having some kind of heat protection for the actuators.

BMW uses the same or similar actuators for thr exhaust valves and you can find heat shields for them on eBay but the heat shields are slightly different and didn't look like they would work without modifying them.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Well...I traded my 18GT in on an F150 for the always fun family reasons.

I never got around to wiring up my active setup, after having pulled together a whole bunch of wiring diagrams so I could add the harnesses needed.

If anyone in the Washington DC DMV area is looking for an setup, let me know. I have a full factory active exhaust, 2 brand new actuators, the actuator pigtails, and the jumper harness that connects to the plug under the car.

GermanEco2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost FL 2018
Hello everybody,

we just bought a 2018 FL Ecoboost without Active Exhaust. But the sound - engine has OPF too - is very quite and the mustang community in Germany is a bit tiny, active exhaust very unusual.

I have two questions.
-Are the harness of the GT AE and the Ecoboost AE the same?
-Has anybody partnumbers of the ecoboost mufflers?
-The center mufflers are the same AE and no AE?!

Best regards
Christian

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Hello everybody,

we just bought a 2018 FL Ecoboost without Active Exhaust. But the sound - engine has OPF too - is very quite and the mustang community in Germany is a bit tiny, active exhaust very unusual.

I have two questions.
-Are the harness of the GT AE and the Ecoboost AE the same?
-Has anybody partnumbers of the ecoboost mufflers?
-The center mufflers are the same AE and no AE?!

Best regards
Christian
Hi Christian, I believe the harness are the same and not sure about the EcoBoost AE mufflers. Center muffler (resonator) is deleted from the factory on EcoBoost AE.

Sponsored

GermanEco2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost FL 2018
Hi Christian, I believe the harness are the same and not sure about the EcoBoost AE mufflers. Center muffler (resonator) is deleted from the factory on EcoBoost AE.
Hi,
thanks to your reply. Ok, deleting the center muffler with Y hose. Cheaper than buy another muffler.
I just thinking about the new,but used AE GT mufflers on ebay:
Ecoboost AE have 4 tips as the GT. Buy these GT mufflers and fit to Eco exhaust. Try to check if stock exhaust diameter are the same, but i dont think so.

Big problem in Germany: police and every two year car inspection to get plate are freaking out, even if i use a 317HP Eco exhaust in our 290HP Eco. Same engine but not listed in the ECE. So in the end it has to look Original Ford and not too loud.

GermanEco2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost FL 2018
PXL_20201219_140030197.jpg

This is the right connector? Then in will start coding active exhaust, buying harnessand try to get an exhaust Eco or V8 to fit it in. 🙂

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
PXL_20201219_140030197.jpg

This is the right connector? Then in will start coding active exhaust, buying harnessand try to get an exhaust Eco or V8 to fit it in. 🙂
Yes, that is the correct Plug. All plug-n-play from here with correct harnesses and the actuators.

Jperez228

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' GT
Pm'd regarding step 6 @breeves002

Step 6 (optional): Install a DC-DC converter.
I have a switcher design I engineered and build myself that’s multipurpose. It takes a 9-20v input and has a 0.8-6v output. I set it to 4.3V and added a flyback diode and 1mF 6.3V capacitor. If adding a DCDC converter the large capacitor is required for cold temp starting of the motors. A flyback diode is recommended due to the inductive load of the motor suddenly switching off. It allows the current to flow back into the motor and use that inductive energy instead of sending it back into the converter. I’m happy to sell these converters. PM if interested. I have never had one fail. I’ve had the cheap Chinese converters fail after mere months of use. These have been tried and tested for over a year in outdoor applications with constant current demand.

The converter will have the power and ground to the car and then the output of it will go to the middle pins on the switch. The motors still go directly to the polarity reversing outside pins of the switch. This substantially lowers the speed at which the motors operate and can give you finer control over them. It may also increase the life of the motors – though I don’t think their life will be a problem due to the limited use they get.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch

Vinnyo09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
Well...I traded my 18GT in on an F150 for the always fun family reasons.

I never got around to wiring up my active setup, after having pulled together a whole bunch of wiring diagrams so I could add the harnesses needed.

If anyone in the Washington DC DMV area is looking for an setup, let me know. I have a full factory active exhaust, 2 brand new actuators, the actuator pigtails, and the jumper harness that connects to the plug under the car.
I'm in Richmond. Do you still have those components? I'd be willing to meet with you and buy them

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
What made me nervous about the BMW shields is that indent near the bottom mounting point. On the Mustang heat shields that section goes straight across so there may be interference with the actuator there with the BMW shields.

They look easy enough to modify though to make work.
I can confirm they fit perfectly on Mustang actuators....

tempImageEultxc.jpg
tempImageTFkiiW.jpg

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401a package
I’m confused
where can I have someone or myself do the forscan. Where do I go or where do I buy
Another question
why do you need a tune to turn on the active exhaust? I’m on a stock tune is it possible to not get the car tuned? For this?

I know these are dumb questions but it would help a lot thanks

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I’m confused
where can I have someone or myself do the forscan. Where do I go or where do I buy
Another question
why do you need a tune to turn on the active exhaust? I’m on a stock tune is it possible to not get the car tuned? For this?

I know these are dumb questions but it would help a lot thanks
There's a big forscan thread in the DIY section.

I tried to do all of this, LUND had to turn the exhaust on for me as Ford couldn't figure out how to do it.

Check if you have the relay and fuse in your fuse box, mine doesn't have connections in the correct fuse port and I've been unable to make the the active exhaust work on my 19 because of this.
Sponsored