2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401a package
There's a big forscan thread in the DIY section.

I tried to do all of this, LUND had to turn the exhaust on for me as Ford couldn't figure out how to do it.

Check if you have the relay and fuse in your fuse box, mine doesn't have connections in the correct fuse port and I've been unable to make the the active exhaust work on my 19 because of this.
Ahh okay makes sense. Thanks a lot i'll have to go back and find the fuse and relay.
Sponsored

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
This is something I want to look at doing on my 2019 - thanks to everyone who has put together all of this information! Need to check to see if I have the harness!

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
OK. I have verified that the plug is present on my car (2019 GT Premium, 400A, PP1, A10, Analog dash, Nav. screen, standard sound system). I have read this entire thread twice and I am going to do the following steps to get started:

1. Check for prewired plug at rear- check
2. Check for fuse under hood (slot #34, exhaust valves, should be 15 amp fuse)
3. Check for relay #59 under hood
4. Verify pinouts on the PCM (HELP)

Once the above are verified I will

5. Acquire mufflers, actuators, three harnesses
6. Figure out HPTuners system to turn on master AE switch
7. Figure out forscan to enable the active exhaust on my analog dash

Here are my questions -

1. How do I verify the pinouts on the PCM? Is this just a visual check or something more advanced? I would love a picture of what I am looking for if anyone has one.

2. How much does the MPVi2 cost to enable the master AE switch ? I know almost nothing about electronic tuning. Will this void a factory warranty?

If anyone has AE mufflers (or actuators or harnesses) they would consider selling and shipping - I would be interested, depending on the cost.

Thanks!

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
OK. I have verified that the plug is present on my car (2019 GT Premium, 400A, PP1, A10, Analog dash, Nav. screen, standard sound system). I have read this entire thread twice and I am going to do the following steps to get started:

1. Check for prewired plug at rear- check
2. Check for fuse under hood (slot #34, exhaust valves, should be 15 amp fuse)
3. Check for relay #59 under hood
4. Verify pinouts on the PCM (HELP)

Once the above are verified I will

5. Acquire mufflers, actuators, three harnesses
6. Figure out HPTuners system to turn on master AE switch
7. Figure out forscan to enable the active exhaust on my analog dash

Here are my questions -

1. How do I verify the pinouts on the PCM? Is this just a visual check or something more advanced? I would love a picture of what I am looking for if anyone has one.

2. How much does the MPVi2 cost to enable the master AE switch ? I know almost nothing about electronic tuning. Will this void a factory warranty?

If anyone has AE mufflers (or actuators or harnesses) they would consider selling and shipping - I would be interested, depending on the cost.

Thanks!
I do not recall discussion on pinouts, I don't believe that is necessary. MPVi2 is $300 + $200 for 4 credits needed to tune your car. This is the same as loading an aftermarket tune (even though you are not changing performance parameters) so it might cause you an issue with getting powertrain warranty work performed if they check. It is as simple as extracting your stock tune from the car and then toggling two 'switches' right on the main page of the software to activate AE - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/post-3077729 . You also will want to get the BMW heat shields for the actuators (no part number exists for Ford version that I am aware of) to protect them, I got mine from OEM part source for less than $45.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I do not recall discussion on pinouts, I don't believe that is necessary. MPVi2 is $300 + $200 for 4 credits needed to tune your car. This is the same as loading an aftermarket tune (even though you are not changing performance parameters) so it might cause you an issue with getting powertrain warranty work performed if they check. It is as simple as extracting your stock tune from the car and then toggling two 'switches' right on the main page of the software to activate AE - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/post-3077729 . You also will want to get the BMW heat shields for the actuators (no part number exists for Ford version that I am aware of) to protect them, I got mine from OEM part source for less than $45.
Thanks for your response. Has anyone found a way to get around the extra $500 for the MPVi2 to switch on the master switch? I know someone on the thread was able to have the dealership do it for them for $60. I could call my local dealer and see if they could do it but I don't know if I could tell them exactly what they need to do in detail (maybe it is simple). Is this master switch something a local auto shop could do with their equipment or would this be a Ford dealer kind of thing only? I would like to do it but I would rather not mess with my warranty for this mod and it really adds to the cost. If the dealership was able to turn on the master switch would this still void the warranty? Sorry for all the questions!

Sponsored

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for your response. Has anyone found a way to get around the extra $500 for the MPVi2 to switch on the master switch? I know someone on the thread was able to have the dealership do it for them for $60. I could call my local dealer and see if they could do it but I don't know if I could tell them exactly what they need to do in detail (maybe it is simple). Is this master switch something a local auto shop could do with their equipment or would this be a Ford dealer kind of thing only? I would like to do it but I would rather not mess with my warranty for this mod and it really adds to the cost. If the dealership was able to turn on the master switch would this still void the warranty? Sorry for all the questions!
2x Ford dealers couldn't do it for me, they didn't know how.
Lund did it without any fuss.

Make sure you have the fuse and relay, mine doesn't and I even tried running independent power to the actuator and still nothing.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
2x Ford dealers couldn't do it for me, they didn't know how.
Lund did it without any fuss.

Make sure you have the fuse and relay, mine doesn't and I even tried running independent power to the actuator and still nothing.
Thank you - just checked my fuse box and I think it is empty in that slot 👎🏻 I'll attach a picture but I don't think this will work for power - ugh!

20210121_145230.jpg

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Looks like mine.

I'd be interested in tested a few things with you if you come up with any ideas!

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Here's a PCM connector pinout for my MY2020 EU with active exhaust. Not sure if this has changed since MY19. Active exhaust are pins #52 brown-green and 53 white-blue.

pcm_connector.png

wihte
pcm_connector_pins1.png

pcm_connector_pins2.png

pcm_connector_pins3.png

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
You also will want to get the BMW heat shields for the actuators (no part number exists for Ford version that I am aware of) to protect them, I got mine from OEM part source for less than $45.
Are these recommended for stock cars as well ? Not sure if they are under warranty since they are part of the exhaust.

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Are these recommended for stock cars as well ? Not sure if they are under warranty since they are part of the exhaust.
If you get new actuators from Ford they do not come with the heat shield, meant to replace a failed unit on a stock system.

JMontalban

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Hey fellas! Im reading through this thread and is very interested in this! A buddy of mine is parting out his car with factory active exhaust and I will be purchasing his Mufflers, actuators, and the harnesses leading to the actuators and plug in under the car.

My car has that harness plug in with the digital dash already.

Once I plug everything in, what exactly do I have to change in forscan? Also im tuned with palm beach, do I just ask them to activate the active exhaust feature?

I still have to check for the fuse in my fuse box but hopefully it will all work. I originally ordered a car with factory active exhaust and ford says it was lost in-transit so They offered me the same car with the active exhaust and said it would cost over $6k to add it because of all the work needed.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey fellas! Im reading through this thread and is very interested in this! A buddy of mine is parting out his car with factory active exhaust and I will be purchasing his Mufflers, actuators, and the harnesses leading to the actuators and plug in under the car.

Once I plug everything in, what exactly do I have to change in forscan? Also im tuned with palm beach, do I just ask them to activate the active exhaust feature?

I still have to check for the fuse in my fuse box but hopefully it will all work. I originally ordered a car with factory active exhaust and ford says it was lost in-transit so They offered me the same car with the active exhaust and said it would cost over $6k to add it because of all the work needed.
From everything I have read PBD should be able to activate the AE main switch, yes. I can't comment on forscan as I haven't gotten there because my 2019 has all the plugs but no fuse connection under the hood! Hopefully you don't have this problem. My car is not tuned yet so I'm holding off on this for now...

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase

Here are my notes I collected when doing my 2019. The link I posted has what’s needed for a 2019 as well as the Forscan line. It’s only 1 character. I have PBD tune also and you just ask them to enable Active Exhaust in your existing tune. Make sure you get all the harnesses from your friend, they are listed below.

Active Exhaust Install
1 - JR3Z-14A411-J wiring harness (Y harness)
2 - JR3Z-14A411-H wiring harnesses (from Y to actuator)
2 - JR3Z-6554-A actuators (new part number)
This thread has most of the info needed.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...g-active-exhaust-problems.129701/post-2729862
Sponsored