2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You misunderstood what I asked. I got the car without the active system from factory. I want to add it to the car now with that exhaust system which i already put on.
Read this whole thread. Pretty much all the info you need is in it.

Level of complexity depends on what year car you have and if you happen to have the harness in the car near the mufflers already.
Sponsored

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
For the 2019 you'll need to check if you have the wiring running to the back of the car for the exhaust.

Look for this plug: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/plug-jpg.165349/

Check to see if you have the fuse and the relay too. (second page of this thread)

If you have all of that then you'll need 2 actuators*, the two harnesses that go to the actuators, and the harness that plugs into the 12 pin connecter.

Then you need to enable the exhaust valve selection in the instrument cluster using Forscan. There are two codes that people are changing for the analog cluster and one for the digital cluster.

Finally, for the 2019s you need to have the active exhaust enabled in the tune. You can get the MPVI2 from HP Tuners to do it yourself or get a tune from Lund or PBD and have them turn it on.

The factory programming adjusts the opening of the valves based on throttle position and RPM and has a different table with different settings for each exhaust mode. You can adjust those tables in HP Tuners if you want to change the opening of the valves for the modes.

*When you buy the actuators new as a valve repair kit they come with the nuts, actuator, and spring that connects to the valve in the muffler. They do NOT come with the metal plate that goes under the actuator to protect it from heat. I'm looking into using some DEI gold heat reflective tape to protect mine.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
You misunderstood what I asked. I got the car without the active system from factory. I want to add it to the car now with that exhaust system which i already put on.

Sorry Vinny
Ok where are you, the tips have the valves, and the wiring is all that's left?
What model Mustang are you driving?

If the car does not have the wiring, most likely will not have the code written to operate them.

There is an after market controller and wire harness available. Don't remember the source.

Saw it once surfing, I'm sure some one on the forum will know the source for same.

Last edited:

Vinnyo09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
Sorry Vinny
Ok where are you, the tips have the valves, and the wiring is all that's left?
What model Mustang are you driving?

If the car does not have the wiring, most likely will not have the code written to operate them.

There is an after market controller and wire harness available. Don't remember the source.

Saw it once surfing, I'm sure some one on the forum will know the source for same.
I have a 2019 GT Premium. You are correct, I have the flaps inside the exhaust tips and the cut out on top, but I don't have the actuators for any wiring. I was told that the wiring harness should be somewhere on the car for the active system just plug off Because my particular car did not receive that feature from factory. I would prefer to have the valves operate as if it was from factory with the toggle switch on the Dashboard, but if that is too involved for is Impossible I wouldn't mind a remote on My key chain. I just don't want to add another button to the interior

Vinnyo09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
For the 2019 you'll need to check if you have the wiring running to the back of the car for the exhaust.

Look for this plug: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/plug-jpg.165349/

Check to see if you have the fuse and the relay too. (second page of this thread)

If you have all of that then you'll need 2 actuators*, the two harnesses that go to the actuators, and the harness that plugs into the 12 pin connecter.

Then you need to enable the exhaust valve selection in the instrument cluster using Forscan. There are two codes that people are changing for the analog cluster and one for the digital cluster.

Finally, for the 2019s you need to have the active exhaust enabled in the tune. You can get the MPVI2 from HP Tuners to do it yourself or get a tune from Lund or PBD and have them turn it on.

The factory programming adjusts the opening of the valves based on throttle position and RPM and has a different table with different settings for each exhaust mode. You can adjust those tables in HP Tuners if you want to change the opening of the valves for the modes.

*When you buy the actuators new as a valve repair kit they come with the nuts, actuator, and spring that connects to the valve in the muffler. They do NOT come with the metal plate that goes under the actuator to protect it from heat. I'm looking into using some DEI gold heat reflective tape to protect mine.
OK that is what I was hoping. I will check for that plug when I get the chance. I noticed other people do not get that plate as well please let me know If that tape works.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 GT Premium. You are correct, I have the flaps inside the exhaust tips and the cut out on top, but I don't have the actuators for any wiring. I was told that the wiring harness should be somewhere on the car for the active system just plug off Because my particular car did not receive that feature from factory. I would prefer to have the valves operate as if it was from factory with the toggle switch on the Dashboard, but if that is too involved for is Impossible I wouldn't mind a remote on My key chain. I just don't want to add another button to the interior

2019 GT Premium that's a good start, here is the rub. There are 3 models of the car. GT Premium, PP1, PP2

GT Premium - There is the chance that the GT Premium will not have the wiring or computer code on board. And you will need a button, and wiring added.. (bad news first)

Now if the GT Premium can be purchased with the active exhaust as a stand alone option. Then the wiring and codes will be there.

3 ways to check, #1 go to the Ford build the Mustang site. The GT Premium standard is seen, scroll down find the active exhaust option.

Select it, if it can be purchased as a stand alone, about 800 bucks, home free.

How to know:
It a pop up notice is seen telling you it is a part of the PP1 performance package , with a list of other items, not good.

Not seeing that it will tell you that the wiring is there and the code needed for the upgrade .. and no extra button will be required..

Once you find that out, #2 go to the car, pressing the Mustang button. Find the menu that allows you to change the gauge cluster, should be in there somewhere

#3 Do you have toggle switches along the bottom under the AC controls ? Another indicator that you can get this done without adding a button.

However the Ford site, build is the quickest way to find the answer . You are seeking

Just a side note, I locked out the valves cause I drive 100% of the time with them in the track setting. Got tired of the 2 step start up.

What I'm saying if you like the loud, FKT the all the above :cool:

Happy hunting, and success .

Pep

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I added and activated the active exhaust to a 2019 today successfully.

I added the factory mufflers, actuators, and harnesses. Enabled active exhaust in the cluster using Forscan, and enabled the active exhaust in the tune using HPTuners.

In HP Tuners it is just a few check boxes to enable Active Exhaust 1 and 2. That was it.

Nothing else was needed and it flips through the settings in the cluster and adjusts the valves while driving just like factory.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have an 18. Followed the instructions about the forscan. Installed MAGNAFLOW street exhaust and added the 3 harnesses, and exhaust drive motors, works like stock. Couldn't be simpler on the 18s.
16052978831263458573131354544802.jpg

Oc28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I added and activated the active exhaust to a 2019 today successfully.

I added the factory mufflers, actuators, and harnesses. Enabled active exhaust in the cluster using Forscan, and enabled the active exhaust in the tune using HPTuners.

In HP Tuners it is just a few check boxes to enable Active Exhaust 1 and 2. That was it.

Nothing else was needed and it flips through the settings in the cluster and adjusts the valves while driving just like factory.
Did you use something similar to the oBD link EX cable and both Forscan and HP tuners softwares?

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you use something similar to the oBD link EX cable and both Forscan and HP tuners softwares?
Yup, that's the exact cable I used along with Forscan to enable it on the digital dash.

I found two other 2019s for sale as close to my spec as possible and changed the active exhaust line to match theirs.

On my car I changed the 720-10-01 line from D000 0400 000C to F000 0400 000C.

For HPTuners, I used the latest beta and right under System>General it has an Active Exhaust section and the top settings are Active Exhaust 1 and Active Exhaust 2. You just change Disabled to Enabled and that is it.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Oc28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yup, that's the exact cable I used along with Forscan to enable it on the digital dash.

I found two other 2019s for sale as close to my spec as possible and changed the active exhaust line to match theirs.

On my car I changed the 720-10-01 line from D000 0400 000C to F000 0400 000C.

For HPTuners, I used the latest beta and right under System>General it has an Active Exhaust section and the top settings are Active Exhaust 1 and Active Exhaust 2. You just change Disabled to Enabled and that is it.

Capture.JPG
Awesome, thank you for confirming the hardware and for the feedback since that was exactly the information that I was looking for. I didn't want it to buy the hp tuners MPVI and their credits just to do the exhaust. I'll be trying this in a couple weeks so now I have everything needed. Thanks again.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 Premium PP1/401A car with everything except Active Exhaust and MagRide. Out of curiosity, I looked under my rear bumper and saw that I had the AE plug. I found a good deal on a Borla S-Type active catback and ordered the actuators and harnesses. I made only 1 change in Forscan and had Palm Beach Dyno update my existing tune to turn on Active Exhaust. It all worked perfectly!

I just wanted to say thanks to all who posted information in this thread over the last few years. My neighbors also thank you for helping "somewhat" quiet down my Kooks catless longtube cold starts.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 2019 Premium PP1/401A car with everything except Active Exhaust and MagRide. Out of curiosity, I looked under my rear bumper and saw that I had the AE plug. I found a good deal on a Borla S-Type active catback and ordered the actuators and harnesses. I made only 1 change in Forscan and had Palm Beach Dyno update my existing tune to turn on Active Exhaust. It all worked perfectly!

I just wanted to say thanks to all who posted information in this thread over the last few years. My neighbors also thank you for helping "somewhat" quiet down my Kooks catless longtube cold starts.
The mangnaflow street + catless headers are VERY quiet. Especially in quiet mode. This is what I recommend for catless headers. Literally it may be quieter than the stock non active exhaust.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
The mangnaflow street + catless headers are VERY quiet. Especially in quiet mode. This is what I recommend for catless headers. Literally it may be quieter than the stock non active exhaust.
I finally got to drive it around with Kooks catless longtubes and full 3 inch (no neck-down) Borla S-type Active catback and my car is now eerily quiet while driving in Quiet Mode. I set Quiet Start for all the time (12am-12am) and the cold starts are not bad at all.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
OK that is what I was hoping. I will check for that plug when I get the chance. I noticed other people do not get that plate as well please let me know If that tape works.
What did you all do about the missing plates? Does anyone have a picture of one?
Sponsored