Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Where do you find the plug? I’m not sure where to look to find it to see if I’ve got it on my 2018.
Apparently when facing the rear of the car (face near the mufflers/reverse light area) the connector should be up and near the evap system (which I think is to the relative left).

But I'd love to be wrong and have missed mine. I'll let someone else weigh in that has seen it in person.
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I picked up my mufflers today, looks the harnesses are on national back order. Can't find anyone online who has them or dealers. I might just go ahead and put the mufflers on for now.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just checked my car, and I have the harness.

2018 GT Hardtop 401A Non-PP with Shaker Pro, build date April 2018 (maybe the early builds didn't have the harness?)

Also, great work you guys are putting into this!

1slo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Just checked my car, and I have the harness.

2018 GT Hardtop 401A Non-PP with Shaker Pro, build date April 2018 (maybe the early builds didn't have the harness?)

Also, great work you guys are putting into this!
Mine is a June 2018 build date. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to who has and doesn't have the plug. I work with 5 different guys with new super duties that have the same issue with a couple different plugs.

Sponsored

Lonestarjay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Yeah, although I'm working on the work around for that. Mine is one of the "don't haves" even though it's a premium 401a car. Not sure what dictates if you get the pre-wired harness or not, but it's obviously some option set. Maybe the premium stereo, or magride, or a vert...who knows.

Anyway, the PCM pins for this are known, and the back of the harness is pretty easy to access. So...in theory you just need to run 4 wires from the PCM to the actuators for control, plus switched 12v power and ground, and a forscan mod to get this setup working if you are lacking the pre-wire like I am. Once I have all the info and parts in hand, I'll take a crack at this with a writeup so folks with an 18, but no pre-wire, can add this system.

I'm pretty happy with my solo setup, but now that I see what should be involved in adding this I want to do it just for the hell of it.
What are the PCM pin numbers?

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Just got it all installed today. Love the sound! Thanks guys for figuring this out.

mfoley13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium, 401a, A10, 3.55, Safe&Smart, AE
Just got it all installed today. Love the sound! Thanks guys for figuring this out.
How does it sound compared to standard mufflers?

Were the mufflers easy to install? I'm planning to cut and use clamps and it looks pretty straight forward.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does it sound compared to standard mufflers?

Were the mufflers easy to install? I'm planning to cut and use clamps and it looks pretty straight forward.
It was a fairly easy install. I used clamps on mine. I have a convertible so removing the extra bracing wasted time.
It has a different sound then the standard mufflers. I was a little disappointed with it until I took it for a ride. The active exhaust opens under full throttle and it sounds loud in both normal and sport modes. It also pops and burbles a lot. I did an h pipe resonator delete so mine is louder then the stock set up. I have not driven it in track mode yet. They make you jump through hoops to turn it on as part of track apps. Anyone can give a crash course on that I am all ears.
Edit: It goes into track mode but gives a warning message that it is for track use only. I could swear yesterday when I first installed it, it was not going into it. Track is not much louder then the sport but is more obnoxious lol. Really liking it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
It was a fairly easy install. I used clamps on mine. I have a convertible so removing the extra bracing wasted time.
It has a different sound then the standard mufflers. I was a little disappointed with it until I took it for a ride. The active exhaust opens under full throttle and it sounds loud in both normal and sport modes. It also pops and burbles a lot. I did an h pipe resonator delete so mine is louder then the stock set up. I have not driven it in track mode yet. They make you jump through hoops to turn it on as part of track apps. Anyone can give a crash course on that I am all ears.
Edit: It goes into track mode but gives a warning message that it is for track use only. I could swear yesterday when I first installed it, it was not going into it. Track is not much louder then the sport but is more obnoxious lol. Really liking it.

Question, I have an H pipe resonator delete on the stock non-active exhaust. Did you have the h pipe on the stock setup too? Or did you add it on when you did the active retrofit. I'm asking because I don't want to lose my pop's and burbles on downshift and deceleration by going with a different muffler. I'd just keep my slightly loud 5am starts, lol.

I guess I'm just wondering what was the initial disappointment you were referring to.

Last edited:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question, I have an H pipe resonator delete on the stock non-active exhaust. Did you have the h pipe on the stock setup too? Or did you add it on when you did the active retrofit. I'm asking because I don't want to lose my pop's and burbles on downshift and deceleration by going with a different muffler. I'd just keep my slightly loud 5am starts, lol.

I guess I'm just wondering what was the initial disappointment.
I had it with the stock mufflers. Don't worry. It will pop and burble lol. My initial disappointment was just revving it in the driveway before I finished it up and took it for a ride. It can't be appreciated until you hear it on a drive.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium

I guess I'm just wondering what was the initial disappointment you were referring to.
I don't have my harnesses yet, but I have the active mufflers on my car which default to "open". They're a good bit louder than the regular GT mufflers and they sound very good. I have a x-pipe resonator delete. They're not as loud as roush or corsa extremes, but they sound more refined. I picked them up for 430 bucks at a local dealer. They're well worth the money, even without the use of the active part. The tips are slightly longer and have a little better shine

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I had it with the stock mufflers. Don't worry. It will pop and burble lol. My initial disappointment was just revving it in the driveway before I finished it up and took it for a ride. It can't be appreciated until you hear it on a drive.
I don't have my harnesses yet, but I have the active mufflers on my car which default to "open". They're a good bit louder than the regular GT mufflers and they sound very good. I have a x-pipe resonator delete. They're not as loud as roush or corsa extremes, but they sound more refined. I picked them up for 430 bucks at a local dealer. They're well worth the money, even without the use of the active part. The tips are slightly longer and have a little better shine
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose my sound. Its probably my favorite part of the car.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
To me it looks like the 18s that have either magneride , convertible or shaker pro have the plug.

My 400a has no plug =/ Build date april 2018

9qMPPA4.jpg

I think I will just put on QTP wireless electric cutouts that I took off my prior car.
Sponsored