Sponsored

2018 6 speed manual

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Comes with a 4 cylinder turbo, but could be converted to a V8. Comes with FWD, AWD was optional. Can be converted to a RWD. Comes with around 200hp, but can be converted to go higher. Costs around $28k depending on options. The 200hp figure is underrated and weighs a heck of a lot less than a GT. The selling point here is that VW has optional plaid seat inserts. Pretty big disappointment I couldn't get the Mustang with plaid seat inserts. Almost didn't get the Mustang because of this...
So you are comparing a low powered FWD car that costs more than a base Mustang to a car with more power but lower fit and finish.

You can get more but it's going to cost more. The Mustang is a performance bargain, not a luxury mobile.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
In my opinion the Tremecs and the Getrag are fairly similar in performance. I preferred the MT-82 in my 2015 GT to the Tremec box in the GT350. I did experience crunchy shifts in both 2011 MT-82s I owned, but the 2015 redesign really improved the shifts IMO.

Could be cost is a reason for using the Getrag, but we don't know. Without insider information it's all speculation.
It's made in China, isn't it?

gt4urass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Looks like we have a 6 speed time finally. 12.2 by Evan Smith. A decent run, despite the "buzzing".

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly have lost count how many cars I've owned in the past 30 years. Not even counting the cars / trucks I bought for parts (and then parted out) or the ones I bought to work on then flip for profit - and I know the vast majority have been manual transmission cars.

I won't even talk about the 60-70 era 4 speeds. They had plenty of their own issues.

First off - you can't compare Honda's or other transverse mounted engine / transmissions. It's not even apples to orange, it's watermelons to grapes.

Remember the T5? I do. In the Mustangs and in 3rd Gen F-Body's. I resorted to keeping several on hand, ready to go. It was cheaper and easier to swap 'em out than pay big chunks of money for upgrades that might or might not hold up to any kind of power.

I see someone brings up VW manual transmissions....maybe we're talking about different flavors - but I have a buddy HEAVY into Vdubs, and I can tell you that while his GTI is fun to throw around, that 6 speed takes effort to shift like it wants to be shifted. As for buzz / vibrations coming from the transmission, couldn't tell you - he has a loud sound system and exhaust to cover up the interior rattles and that car is maybe 2 years old.

Manual transmission equipped cars have more drivetrain noise. You may not hear it in a $80K and up car - but insulation and barriers can hide a lot of noise and vibration.

A lot of this is personal perception. I had an aftermarket 5 speed behind a 406 SBC as a daily. I spent money on a sound system - that thing made a lot of noise - but it held up to the power and more importantly the torque of that engine for years.

Careful what you wish for. Besides cost, one of the things working against manual transmission cars is drivetrain noise and vibration. Enjoy them while you can. Won't be long (God I wish it wasn't so) before 'shifting' means using the paddles mounted on the steering wheel.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
It sounds kinda like when you spark the negative on a battery, but continually. Or a very light grinding sound. I can tell you this because I just got back from driving a $50K 18 GT PP 401A at my local dealership and it makes the same f*cking sound. The same sound that was evident in my warranty replaced '14 v6 MT-82, as well as the '15 EBM MT-82 that I test drove back in 2015. It sounds like shit, like something is grinding and about to break apart down there.

I thought I was going to be buying a manual 18 GT this month and I guess not because the damn transmission sounds like shit. Unbelievable that a $50K car makes noise like this. The 5 speed in my 2003 Elantra sounded better.
How does the sound compare to shifting from neutral to either first or reverse with the clutch not fully depressed to the floor or with a clutch that isn't fully releasing for some other reason? Also how does it compare to a shift where the shifter didn't get moved enough to get fully into the gear?

I've had previous cars where I could "beat" the syncros at very high rpm upshifts or during high rpm downshifts with either no double clutching or with worn syncros.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

So you are comparing a low powered FWD car that costs more than a base Mustang to a car with more power but lower fit and finish.

You can get more but it's going to cost more. The Mustang is a performance bargain, not a luxury mobile.
While it is a performance bargain, it's a stripped down, no frills performance bargain. Nowhere close to a STEP BELOW a luxury automobile. It's pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as interior. It's a good looking car, but the base interior is a big joke. Premium interior should have been standard.

There's always a trade off. The Mustang has more power, the low powered FWD car handles better.

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
How does the sound compare to shifting from neutral to either first or reverse with the clutch not fully depressed to the floor or with a clutch that isn't fully releasing for some other reason? Also how does it compare to a shift where the shifter didn't get moved enough to get fully into the gear?

I've had previous cars where I could "beat" the syncros at very high rpm upshifts or during high rpm downshifts with either no double clutching or with worn syncros.
It's not actually noise while going into gear, it's noise when its in gear and you're just cruising. Still happens with hand not on the shifter, it's just this odd subtle grinding/rubbing noise when in gear and driving.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Nope, came from a VW. VW makes one of the best manual and automatic(DSG) transmissions available.
I’ve driven a lot of manuals and also own a VW. The best manual was the Accord Sport I drove last yr. Then again it was a <200hp 4cyl that lacked power. My Focus ST shifter was superb and quiet. My ‘15GT is a little noisier and a tad notchier but the throws are shorter. Plus I don’t hear much noise over my exhaust.

But I like the shifter overall. I test drove a new ‘17 Vette the day before I got the Mustang. That shifter was quieter but it was rubbery and not smooth. The GT shifter suits me fine. Then again I didn’t pay $50k for it, but $30k.

Reactions: Ebm

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It sounds kinda like when you spark the negative on a battery, but continually. Or a very light grinding sound. I can tell you this because I just got back from driving a $50K 18 GT PP 401A at my local dealership and it makes the same f*cking sound. The same sound that was evident in my warranty replaced '14 v6 MT-82, as well as the '15 EBM MT-82 that I test drove back in 2015. It sounds like shit, like something is grinding and about to break apart down there.

I thought I was going to be buying a manual 18 GT this month and I guess not because the damn transmission sounds like shit. Unbelievable that a $50K car makes noise like this. The 5 speed in my 2003 Elantra sounded better.
Your Elantra was FWD, and the transmission was way the hell forward in the engine bay, probably ahead of the front wheels. A Mustang is RWD, and the transmission is right next to your leg when you're driving.

So, yeah, you're going to hear and feel stuff.

It's not actually noise while going into gear, it's noise when its in gear and you're just cruising. Still happens with hand not on the shifter, it's just this odd subtle grinding/rubbing noise when in gear and driving.
Your imagination is running away with you. Transmissions make noises. They're loud, lots of mechanical bits whirring about.

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Your imagination is running away with you. Transmissions make noises. They're loud, lots of mechanical bits whirring about.
Yeah but this noise isn't normal, I've had no other transmissions that make this noise.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
No idea what you're referring to here. I hear nothing grinding/rubbing when in gear. Only when changing to gear a bit. And I test drove 3 new '17 GT manuals before getting my '15 GT manual.

Sounds like you would be extremely happy with a Tesla. :headbang:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yeah but this noise isn't normal, I've had no other transmissions that make this noise.
Except your '14 V6, a '15 EBM, and the 2018 you test drove. And what other front engine/RWD vehicles have you owned?

I know exactly the sound you mean. If I want to focus on it, I can hear it. It's normal. It's like rocks in a blender at very high speed. Completely and utterly normal.

Good Lord, I hope you didn't badger some poor service manager into warrantying an MT82 due to a normal sound.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While it is a performance bargain, it's a stripped down, no frills performance bargain. Nowhere close to a STEP BELOW a luxury automobile. It's pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as interior. It's a good looking car, but the base interior is a big joke. Premium interior should have been standard.
You are definitely entitled to an opinion. I was a little upset with the 2015 redesign because I thought my 2015 base GT had too nice an interior. I'd rather have the price stay lower and the interior be left more Fisher Price.

The Mustangs like my GT350 with nicer interiors aren't that far off the BMWs and Porsches I've driven, and in my opinion some things about my Mustang interior are better. I haven't driven super luxury vehicles like a top of the line Mercedes, though so I don't know what they are like inside.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

You are definitely entitled to an opinion. I was a little upset with the 2015 redesign because I thought my 2015 base GT had too nice an interior. I'd rather have the price stay lower and the interior be left more Fisher Price.

The Mustangs like my GT350 with nicer interiors aren't that far off the BMWs and Porsches I've driven, and in my opinion some things about my Mustang interior are better. I haven't driven super luxury vehicles like a top of the line Mercedes, though so I don't know what they are like inside.

Too nice? Relative to what, older Mustangs? I would definitely agree that the S550's interior is a lot better than previous generations, but features seem to still be lacking. I guess it's the tech side in me that wishes for more. Don't get me wrong, I love the car(and Sync 3 is one of the best entertainment systems out there), but it's more like wishful thinking at this point.