2018 6 speed manual

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Any noise this transmission makes can't be half as bad as the bent/out of balance axle/pinion noise the front diff on my Jeep makes from 5-55mph.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Any noise this transmission makes can't be half as bad as the bent/out of balance axle/pinion noise the front diff on my Jeep makes from 5-55mph.
Dude, what the heck are you doing?

You could have invested all the Mustang money in your Jeep and then you would have had a Super Jeep. Now, all you will have is a regular Mustang and a regular Jeep. What gives?

Side note, I don't see any adjustment making the MT-82 better. They will have to redesign it and call it something else.

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
This is my issue with the buzzing

-Complete stop
-Want to take off aggressively just to test the power
-Clutch in, 1st gear
-Green light
-Press gas (not floor it), and start depressing clutch
-At the gas/clutch engagement point I’ll hear a metallic buzzing but it will go away soon as Im off the clutch

Again this only happens when being aggressive at takeoff. If im just driving regular I won’t have any issues.
I have this issue in my 2016 Mustang GT 6 speed non-pp. I've had it since 300 miles. Its at 8000 miles. I took it in once and they said let it break in. Second time I took it in he said its the 'nature' of the car but clearly sounded like he did not want to take apart the transmission to look into it. He said he would research and get back to me. Never responded to me again.

I'm going to try another dealership.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's weird to me reading all the complaints about the MT-82. I think it's a great transmission, especially the 2015+ version.

Are you guys all coming from Porsche or what?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
It's weird to me reading all the complaints about the MT-82. I think it's a great transmission, especially the 2015+ version.

I think it's great too.. had my 2015 V6 for over 2.5 years and never had any transmission issues. Far from perfect but ran just fine no matter how much I abused it. The 2018 MT82 actually does feel better, I feel like the shifts are much smoother....its just that stupid buzzing noise lol.

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Are we talking gear whine or something else buzzing?

Maybe just like the old manuals, a gear oil change to quiet things down.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Nope, came from a VW. VW makes one of the best manual and automatic(DSG) transmissions available.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nope, came from a VW. VW makes one of the best manual and automatic(DSG) transmissions available.
Is this a front engine/RWD platform VW with a V8, or are you talking about something with a 4 cylinder front wheel drive and a turbo? Is it a relatively sporty vehicle with over 300 hp? How much does it cost compared to the Mustang? Is the performance value there or not?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Is this a front engine/RWD platform VW with a V8, or are you talking about something with a 4 cylinder front wheel drive and a turbo? Is it a relatively sporty vehicle with over 300 hp? How much does it cost compared to the Mustang? Is the performance value there or not?
Comes with a 4 cylinder turbo, but could be converted to a V8. Comes with FWD, AWD was optional. Can be converted to a RWD. Comes with around 200hp, but can be converted to go higher. Costs around $28k depending on options. The 200hp figure is underrated and weighs a heck of a lot less than a GT. The selling point here is that VW has optional plaid seat inserts. Pretty big disappointment I couldn't get the Mustang with plaid seat inserts. Almost didn't get the Mustang because of this...

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
What am I coming from (I know I wasn't directly asked, but I can throw in my car knowledge)? Ive had around 50 cars through my adult life, half of which were manuals. The MT82 may be one of the notchiest and clunkiest manuals. Its not as bad as my 2000 Gt or 2010 v6, but low end imports feel much smoother. For exaple, I drove a friends 2014 Hyundai Accent the other day and felt no resistance in the shifter and heard no noises at all....I couldn't help but wonder why my Mustang that cost over double couldn't perform, feel or sound as well made. Granted, I'm also comparing a transmission paired to a 140hp engine vs the MT82 paired to a HP/TQ monster.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Are we talking gear whine or something else buzzing?

Maybe just like the old manuals, a gear oil change to quiet things down.
Nah it's not a whine, nor is it a grinding sound.
It's hard to explain the sound...OP mentioned mechanical buzz and that's pretty much on point. I guess if I had to try my best to compare it to something, it'd sound something similar to a loud electric razor for shaving.

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
It sounds kinda like when you spark the negative on a battery, but continually. Or a very light grinding sound. I can tell you this because I just got back from driving a $50K 18 GT PP 401A at my local dealership and it makes the same f*cking sound. The same sound that was evident in my warranty replaced '14 v6 MT-82, as well as the '15 EBM MT-82 that I test drove back in 2015. It sounds like shit, like something is grinding and about to break apart down there.

I thought I was going to be buying a manual 18 GT this month and I guess not because the damn transmission sounds like shit. Unbelievable that a $50K car makes noise like this. The 5 speed in my 2003 Elantra sounded better.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
It sounds kinda like when you spark the negative on a battery, but continually. Or a very light grinding sound. I can tell you this because I just got back from driving a $50K 18 GT PP 401A at my local dealership and it makes the same f*cking sound. The same sound that was evident in my warranty replaced '14 v6 MT-82, as well as the '15 EBM MT-82 that I test drove back in 2015. It sounds like shit, like something is grinding and about to break apart down there.

I thought I was going to be buying a manual 18 GT this month and I guess not because the damn transmission sounds like shit. Unbelievable that a $50K car makes noise like this. The 5 speed in my 2003 Elantra sounded better.
Noooo....weve lost another MT guy

Swamp-Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty
So I expect someone else may have asked this before... but what’s to stop Ford from putting a 6-Speed Tremec into 2019 and later model year Mustangs (besides the special edition versions like the GT350 and GT500)? Is it just down to the relative cost of the respective units and what that adds to the cost-to-build figure of a manual transmission Mustang? Why else would Ford engineers on the Mustang team be wedded to GETRAG transmissions?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So I expect someone else may have asked this before... but what’s to stop Ford from putting a 6-Speed Tremec into 2019 and later model year Mustangs (besides the special edition versions like the GT350 and GT500)? Is it just down to the relative cost of the respective units and what that adds to the cost-to-build figure of a manual transmission Mustang? Why else would Ford engineers on the Mustang team be wedded to GETRAG transmissions?
In my opinion the Tremecs and the Getrag are fairly similar in performance. I preferred the MT-82 in my 2015 GT to the Tremec box in the GT350. I did experience crunchy shifts in both 2011 MT-82s I owned, but the 2015 redesign really improved the shifts IMO.

Could be cost is a reason for using the Getrag, but we don't know. Without insider information it's all speculation.
Sponsored