twotone5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 10R80 (400A)
SSM 48690

Re-addressing the “whine” noise
C0AE7EF2-1686-4EAF-A920-1D9F4E6E8A55.jpeg
So, if I understand correctly, regarding the 10R80 whine when warm, Ford says don't worry about it? It's so loud... Maybe I just need long tubes to drown it out.

Took mine to the dealer last week, they said they couldn't hear the noise and that the trans "looks good". I asked them to swap the trans fluid out of abundance of caution, that didn't change anything.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
TSB 22-2139, SUPERSEDES 21-2357, just released in April 2022 pertains to harsh shifts due to adaptive learning incompatibilities. PDF is attached.

Summary
Some 2017-2020 F-150, 2018-2022 Expedition/Navigator/Mustang and 2019-2022 Ranger vehicles equipped with a 10R80 automatic transmission may exhibit a harsh engagement/harsh shift/delayed shift. It is possible the vehicle may also have an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) or diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0751, P0752, P0756, P0757, P0761, P0762, P0766, P0767, P0771, P0772, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704, P2705, P2707, P2708, P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6 and/or P07F7 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM). This may be due to incompatibility of the adaptive calibration to adapt to hardware break-in over time. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to overhaul the main control valve body and/or perform an adaptive learning drive cycle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Still have not seen anybody mention my condition. The trans makes a groaning noise when shifting up or down. Does not appear to be temp or speed related. No codes. Have not taken to dealer cause they say they don't have trans expect. Friend at local AAMCO says he has not seen this symptom. I don't have general whinning or harsh shifting, except 5th in trac mode sometimes.

Anybody else experienced this?

Hard to hear so recording noise is almost impossible.

Last edited:

rabie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rabie
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I had the same issue in my 2020. Whining noise only during slow upshifts; mainly when driving slowly or in traffic and once trans temp is at normal operating temperature.
For me this was caused by the "Steeda G-Trac K-Member brace" since it was touching the trans cooler lines which I guess was transferring the vibrations from the pump into the car.

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has a whine at all times sence i had the valve body replaced. I have the steeda sub frame brace but installed some 1/2" alum home made spacers so it wont come close to the trans lines

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
I had the same issue in my 2020. Whining noise only during slow upshifts; mainly when driving slowly or in traffic and once trans temp is at normal operating temperature.
For me this was caused by the "Steeda G-Trac K-Member brace" since it was touching the trans cooler lines which I guess was transferring the vibrations from the pump into the car.
Mine has a whine at all times sence i had the valve body replaced. I have the steeda sub frame brace
Thanks guys, looks like that was the problem. I guess the pump goes into overdrive during shifts. One line was resting solidly on steeda k brace. Hope this helps others 👍

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt, 2011 Lexus is250
I have a 2022 with an incredibly audible whine when the trans fully warms up, had it to the dealer twice and got the ol’ “it’s normal” bit. While I get they claim it’s “normal” if others have found a fix for it why not offer that? I’ve seen multiple threads where people have reduced or completely eliminated the whine by replacing the gears for the pump in the trans, if this is something I request they do even though they claim it’s fine will I have to pay out of pocket for it rather than it be covered by warranty? I’m even willing to go to a regular shop that’s familiar with the 10r80 whine and pay to have it fixed if I need to. The car has legit become embarrassing to drive and it sucks :/. I know it’s a long shot but I’m in/around the GTA if anyone on here has a shop/dealer with any experience remedying the 10r80 whine

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Anytime you get the "it's normal" response at the stealership, just ask to test drive a new car as similar as possible to yours. Given the current state of inventory levels, you may have to visit a different dealer to find a similar car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2022 with an incredibly audible whine when the trans fully warms up, had it to the dealer twice and got the ol’ “it’s normal” bit. While I get they claim it’s “normal” if others have found a fix for it why not offer that? I’ve seen multiple threads where people have reduced or completely eliminated the whine by replacing the gears for the pump in the trans, if this is something I request they do even though they claim it’s fine will I have to pay out of pocket for it rather than it be covered by warranty? I’m even willing to go to a regular shop that’s familiar with the 10r80 whine and pay to have it fixed if I need to. The car has legit become embarrassing to drive and it sucks :/. I know it’s a long shot but I’m in/around the GTA if anyone on here has a shop/dealer with any experience remedying the 10r80 whine
The 10R80 whine is normal, it is more pronounced in a new vehicle and it's caused by the manufacturing design and cuts of the actual main gears. The noise subsides as the trans breaks in with miles accrued.

Has the Service Center checked your fluid level? Many have found that the factory fill is low... which can contribute to louder than normal operation, valve body issues and shifting issues.

Ford isn't going to tear down any 10R80 just because it's making a normal whine noise due to its design. They also won't crack it open and replace XYZ that does not fall within the Warranty provisions or a isn't a warranty claim - the consumer will be responsible for that type of request/repair/costs.

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
The 10R80 whine is normal, it is more pronounced in a new vehicle and it's caused by the manufacturing design and cuts of the actual main gears. The noise subsides as the trans breaks in with miles accrued.

Has the Service Center checked your fluid level? Many have found that the factory fill is low... which can contribute to louder than normal operation, valve body issues and shifting issues.

Ford isn't going to tear down any 10R80 just because it's making a normal whine noise due to its design. They also won't crack it open and replace XYZ that does not fall within the Warranty provisions or a isn't a warranty claim - the consumer will be responsible for that type of request/repair/costs.
Yea they checked all fluids and said everything was good and where it should be and that the whine was “within spec” but it’s pretty damn loud once the trans is fully warmed up, pretty much the only thing me or any car next to me can hear, this is the first I’m hearing of it getting quieter as it breaks in though.. does it quiet down by much? I’m only around 3k kms (about 2k miles) should I expect it to subside a little bit over time? The only thing that gets me is the fact that other people have had the whine eliminated by replacing the gears for the pump, so why not at least try it rather than have people be embarrassed to drive their cars, I know some whine more than others but I think mine is probably the most audible I’ve heard so far after searching around about it. It’s also much more pronounced once the car is switched from normal to sport and stays louder even when switched back to normal. I’ve figured I’d have to pay out of pocket to get it addressed if ford claims it’s “normal” and I don’t want to drive around a mini jet, now to just find the right people/shop to do so :/

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea they checked all fluids and said everything was good and where it should be and that the whine was “within spec” but it’s pretty damn loud once the trans is fully warmed up, pretty much the only thing me or any car next to me can hear, this is the first I’m hearing of it getting quieter as it breaks in though.. does it quiet down by much? I’m only around 3k kms (about 2k miles) should I expect it to subside a little bit over time? The only thing that gets me is the fact that other people have had the whine eliminated by replacing the gears for the pump, so why not at least try it rather than have people be embarrassed to drive their cars, I know some whine more than others but I think mine is probably the most audible I’ve heard so far after searching around about it. It’s also much more pronounced once the car is switched from normal to sport and stays louder even when switched back to normal. I’ve figured I’d have to pay out of pocket to get it addressed if ford claims it’s “normal” and I don’t want to drive around a mini jet, now to just find the right people/shop to do so :/
Can you post a video of what you are hearing? Take us on a highway drive in both Trans Mode D and then S….

Also, check these threads which will give you more insight to the 10R80 design:
For 10R80 Newbies, all you need to know:
The design and workings of a 10R80:
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/need-10-speeds/

SAE International Automotive Engineering article; go to page 10 about the 10R80:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/sae_16autd07-pdf.349718/

10R80 Internal Tech:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-internal-technical-info.141611/

Which come from this main thread with A LOT of 10R80 tech/faq on post 1, page 1:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
Can you post a video of what you are hearing? Take us on a highway drive in both Trans Mode D and then S….

Also, check these threads which will give you more insight to the 10R80 design:
For 10R80 Newbies, all you need to know:
The design and workings of a 10R80:
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/need-10-speeds/

SAE International Automotive Engineering article; go to page 10 about the 10R80:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/sae_16autd07-pdf.349718/

10R80 Internal Tech:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-internal-technical-info.141611/

Which come from this main thread with A LOT of 10R80 tech/faq on post 1, page 1:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/
Will grab some videos over the next day or two when I get some time and be sure to upload them here, thank you for all the insight/info, greatly appreciated!