MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You were a bit dismissive of the Supra (and the 2JZ-GTE), I simply clarified they were pretty capable when setup correctly, but clearly modern V8s are outstanding (which is why I had 4 Vettes and now a '16 GT), and chassis/suspension has gotten way better - remember, with the 4th gen Supra, we're talking about a car that was released in '93 (93.5 to be exact), that's 23 years old.

In no particular order, some responses to your questions, not going to one-at-a-time them, just some general overview :)

My car was a '94 with 60K miles, I put on another 10K miles over 3 years (it was an extra car), regularly ran 25PSI on a stock motor, stock tranny (the V160 6-speed manuals were also bullet proof), that car is long gone.

It was a pretty extravagant build, setup for show, track, basically all around duty. Custom paint, carbon fiber, 4 point cage, polish work, lots of suspension upgrades, huge AP brakes - 550HP on pump, 750+ on race gas, the last owner I saw had swapped turbos, done some intake/head work, think it was 850-ish.

Plenty of power under the curve, loads of TQ, but of course not the same low end as a larger CI engine.

I wouldn't focus on the 10s, but on the 134-135MPH, the combination of gearing and TQ meant it was very quick on the top end, the ETs were so-so tires, my inexperience with launching it.

The MK IV was a pig, mine pushed 3900 lbs on a corner balancing scale.

There are 1500-1800HP 2JZ motors, do a little research, I think you'll be moderately impressed. Also lookup Andi Baritchi who ran and self-supported participation in the One Lap, in a Supra, some interesting reading.

And because nobody asked, some pics :D

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Why would anyone swap an LS into a Supra, weird swap. And you need more details about the car before thinking you're gonna blow his doors off.
Same stupid reason why idiots put Chevy engines in fords. I hate it.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
People do swaps for all kinds of reasons. Read an article a few years back where a guy picked up a Ferrari 308 for cheap money with a blown engine and when he found it was going to cost $20k to rebuild the engine he swapped in a small block Chevy.

There is a guy that comes to the local cruise night with SB Chevy shoe horned into a Porsche 914. A friend at work is into Porsche's and gets a big chuckle out of how worked up the purists get when someone shows up to a Porsche event with one.

This thread got me thinking, there is Porsche 944 for sale down the street and I have a freshly rebuilt Mopar 340 sitting in the garage that needs a home. ?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Putting a Supra engine in my GT ...

*slowly backs out of room*
Hot Rod had an article on a guy that put one in a 69 Camaro. The workmanship in that car was spectacular.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hot Rod had an article on a guy that put one in a 69 Camaro. The workmanship in that car was spectacular.
Nice, I vaugly remember that, I tended to notice 2JZ swaps - someone crammed one into a 3rd gen RX7, kind loses the spirit of the RX7 but I can definitely understand why ... There was an LSx RX7 that ran at an event I attended at Sebring , it ran great, sounded great too!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You were a bit dismissive of the Supra (and the 2JZ-GTE), I simply clarified they were pretty capable when setup correctly, but clearly modern V8s are outstanding (which is why I had 4 Vettes and now a '16 GT), and chassis/suspension has gotten way better - remember, with the 4th gen Supra, we're talking about a car that was released in '93 (93.5 to be exact), that's 23 years old.
I appreciate you taking the time to write all that. Very cool car. Way nicer and faster than any of the 80s Foxes I owned.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I appreciate you taking the time to write all that. Very cool car. Way nicer and faster than any of the 80s Foxes I owned.
No problem, I'm just an enthusiast, and have enjoyed a pretty varied range of vehicles ... BTW, I hope nothing I wrote came off as douchey :D

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No problem, I'm just an enthusiast, and have enjoyed a pretty varied range of vehicles ... BTW, I hope nothing I wrote came off as douchey :D
Not at all. I'm a big time car guy and believe it or not I like them all. I really appreciate when someone can handle a little good natured ribbing about their car of choice - or sincere questions from someone who is ignorant. :cheers:

Sponsored

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
As for the main topic, MK III supras can be had cheap, and any cheap RWD car will eventually get a V8 swap. MK IV supras are very expensive, even the non turbo cars. Too expensive in my mind for a swap. But a LSx swapped supra with any sort of weight reduction or any engine mods should beat a bone stock 2015+ GT if it can hook.

As for the potential of the 2JZ, it has nothing to prove. There are only 3 stock block/stock head(s) platforms that have broke 5's in a 1/4 mile. You get 3 guesses at what motor isn't on that list. The first was Jon Mihovetz with a 4.6 modular motor. Stock block and heads with a billet crank. He went 6.0X's on a stock cobra crank. After that, Ekanoo put a 2JZ into the 5's with stock block and head. Then MMR ran 5's with a 5.4. Stock block sleeved to 5.8, filled block I think, and stock head. The fastest LS motor out there uses an after market LSX block and has gone 6.3X's and there isn't a stock production block LS motor anywhere close to that even with sleeves and deck plates and girdles and all that trick stuff.

The LSx motors are great. They are ubiquitous and offer a lot for the money, but people pretending they are the end all be all best engines ever is propaganda.

OP
OP

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Performance Pack
Why would anyone swap an LS into a Supra, weird swap. And you need more details about the car before thinking you're gonna blow his doors off.
No idea why. I think it takes the soul out of the car. Sure its a lot of work, and cool in its own way which as a car guy, I appreciate, but its definitely not my thing. I like sticking with the same brand for components. 350 SBC in a Mustang makes me cringe.

FWIW, if the guy is a douche, I'd just ignore him, but if he's a real enthusiast, it would be cool to check out his car.
I'm not 100% sure, don't know him too well. I've seen characteristics of doucheyness, but they might just be a real enthusiast talking that just doesn't know how to convey his knowledge in a way that comes across non douchey :lol:

Putting a Supra engine in my GT ...

*slowly backs out of room*
Coyote in a supra would be ok, better than an LS swap. Supra engine in a GT... reminds me of Tokyo Drift with the skyline motor. That would be kinda cool in a way. I like off the wall swaps. I guess the LS swap irks me because its so common. It's like the Cummins swap that happens all the time in the diesel world. Everyone and their brother does it, and they all have the same exact shit done to them, so it's not original. I look at it as the cheap(?), lazy way to get more power. Of course try making big power numbers with a 7.3L Power Stroke and see what kind of debt you get yourself into and one can kinda see whey they do it, I just never would. A buddy of mine is putting a 2JZ in his S2000. I'm a little on the fence about it because the stock motors are pretty cool, but this will be pretty awesome in its own way.

I did get some more info from the guy yesterday. It is supposedly a bone stock 5.3L out of a chevy truck in an older, more square body Supra. Not sure on body style names but its the body style before the more rounded ones like the orange one on the fast and the furious. The ones that I'm pretty sure came stock with a 1JZ. So I'm either going to completely destroy him in this race, or he is not being completely up front about whats under the non existent hood on his car and is going to tear me up. We are trying to work out details on when and where to have this race.

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
No idea why. I think it takes the soul out of the car. Sure its a lot of work, and cool in its own way which as a car guy, I appreciate, but its definitely not my thing. I like sticking with the same brand for components. 350 SBC in a Mustang makes me cringe.

I'm not 100% sure, don't know him too well. I've seen characteristics of doucheyness, but they might just be a real enthusiast talking that just doesn't know how to convey his knowledge in a way that comes across non douchey :lol:

Coyote in a supra would be ok, better than an LS swap. Supra engine in a GT... reminds me of Tokyo Drift with the skyline motor. That would be kinda cool in a way. I like off the wall swaps. I guess the LS swap irks me because its so common. It's like the Cummins swap that happens all the time in the diesel world. Everyone and their brother does it, and they all have the same exact shit done to them, so it's not original. I look at it as the cheap(?), lazy way to get more power. Of course try making big power numbers with a 7.3L Power Stroke and see what kind of debt you get yourself into and one can kinda see whey they do it, I just never would. A buddy of mine is putting a 2JZ in his S2000. I'm a little on the fence about it because the stock motors are pretty cool, but this will be pretty awesome in its own way.

I did get some more info from the guy yesterday. It is supposedly a bone stock 5.3L out of a chevy truck in an older, more square body Supra. Not sure on body style names but its the body style before the more rounded ones like the orange one on the fast and the furious. The ones that I'm pretty sure came stock with a 1JZ. So I'm either going to completely destroy him in this race, or he is not being completely up front about whats under the non existent hood on his car and is going to tear me up. We are trying to work out details on when and where to have this race.
If it's 1 gen back from the MKIV in The Fast and the Furious then it's a gen 3. If it looks like an 80's corolla hatch then it's a gen 2 but I doubt he swapped the 5.3 into that. In NA the MKIII came with the 7MGTE which was as good of a motor as the 1JZ that the JDM MKIII Supras had, still had potential but I think it had big headgasket/head problems in general.

I think he's like most of the bolt ons/cam only kinda LS guys where it's actually pretty built but he's just talking it down. If it actually is bolt on + cam and he's just lying about it I'd expect it to put down high 300s - low 400s and will put up quite a fight.

Looking forward to how this pans out.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
In NA the MKIII came with the 7MGTE which was not as good of a motor as the 1JZ that the JDM MKIII Supras had, still had potential but I think it had big headgasket/head problems in general.
Pretty sure you meant the bolded correction :cheers:

(Also see post #9 :D)

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
Pretty sure you meant the bolded correction :cheers:

(Also see post #9 :D)
Good catch, correct that is! Haha I saw it but forgot about it and I guess OP may have missed it as well.
Sponsored