Sponsored

2017 Stang vs LS swapped Supra

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Performance Pack
So as I'm driving through my work parking lot I stopped to talk to a buddy real quick. Apparently most people at work already know who the new Mustang GT in the parking lot belongs to (over 2000 employees across 3 shifts at my place of employment). Apparently the guy that owns the LS swapped Supra that I noticed a couple weeks ago thinks he will beat me with no problem. Talking to my buddy and a couple others he was talking to, the engine in the Supra is a 5.3L. If I were to guess I'd say that he's probably got 350 flywheel HP. I laughed when I was told what he said. Unless its something more than a stock 5.3L, I know for a fact I would blow his doors off. The only advantage he would have would be less weight. Looks like monday after our long weekend I will be talking to him to try to set something up. I'll keep everyone informed on what happens. :lol:
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hmm ...

Is it a 3rd or 4th gen, the latter were pretty tubby (the 3rds weren't exactly light weight either). When you said LS, I assumed an LS1/LS6, even an LS2 so something in the 5.7 - 6.0L range.

Then you're talking 400-ish, that's a H/C away from 475-485, not sure about how all the drive train is setup[?] Auto? 6-speed manual swap?

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Why would anyone swap an LS into a Supra, weird swap. And you need more details about the car before thinking you're gonna blow his doors off.

BigEasyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My guesses are that if he's got the mindset to swap an LS into a supra, then that motor isn't stock. H/C are easy to swap while the motor is out and like MaskedRacerX said, will net solid gains. Couple that with his slight weight advantage (3500lb vs our 3700+) and it may be a good race.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
FWIW, if the guy is a douche, I'd just ignore him, but if he's a real enthusiast, it would be cool to check out his car.

Sponsored

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
only way i can see anyone willingly pulling out a 2JZ variant is if the LS Swap includes a big fat turbo on that LSx engine.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
only way i can see anyone willingly pulling out a 2JZ variant is if the LS Swap includes a big fat turbo on that LSx engine.
Not me. I would probably swap a small block Ford or LS in there as well. Seems like a good swap. Getting a better engine in there. I never thought much of Supra engines but always liked the body styles. Most of what I've seen on the Supras is those engines make a big number at peak but they aren't that good of performers.

(flame suit on) :)

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
that's purely because people dump the twins for a big single and go for stupid big power numbers.

keep the twins and upgrade and the Supra will have power everywhere.

There is a reason the Mk IV Supra and the 2JZ-GTE are legendary.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, unless it's a US model 3rd Gen / MK III, then it got the 7M-GTE which was kind of so-so, and while the "hot swap" for a MK III was to a Japanese sourced 1JZ, I could see a LSx being a better option for that generation.

Agree about the 2JZ in a MK IV though, that's kind of the whole character of the car!

Not me. I would probably swap a small block Ford or LS in there as well. Seems like a good swap. Getting a better engine in there. I never thought much of Supra engines but always liked the body styles. Most of what I've seen on the Supras is those engines make a big number at peak but they aren't that good of performers.
My 10-second, 13x MPH MK IV Supra that also ran down Porsches at Roebling and Sebring would disagree with you a bit ... :D

Hahaha, seriously though, many were a bit "peaky", especially with the big singles people tended to bolt on, but there were some quick spooling, big power options as the market developed.

Like I said above, a 4th gen without a 2JZ isn't even a Supra :D

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
doh, Mk IV

Sponsored

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive

:frusty::frusty::frusty:

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
the mk3 supra weighs at least what a gt weighs haha, and the mk4 about what the ecoboost weighs. Idk why anyone would ls swap a 2j, so that makes me think it's either a NA mk4 (still doesn't make sense) or a mk3. I think you'd be ok unless they're making big power. Would be cool to see their setup.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Maybe he bought the car with no engine, can't afford JDM, and knows Chevy LS engines... could be as simple as that. In other news, my dog just farted and g'dammit I'm outa here.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My 10-second, 13x MPH MK IV Supra that also ran down Porsches at Roebling and Sebring would disagree with you a bit ... :D

Hahaha, seriously though, many were a bit "peaky", especially with the big singles people tended to bolt on, but there were some quick spooling, big power options as the market developed.

Like I said above, a 4th gen without a 2JZ isn't even a Supra :D
How long did it last with that much power? Or do you still run it? How much $$ did you have in it to run 10s with a road race setup? You are implying same setup - or were there two different setups you used?

10s aren't too bad, but not difficult to achieve with a SBF or LS naturally aspirated. With boost on an LS or SBF the sky is really the limit. So are you saying 10s are really good for the 2JZ motor with forced induction? Doesn't seem incredibly fast to me or anything. Is there something I'm missing? I am assuming the car is fairly light.

What kind of average HP/torque were you running through what RPM band? That will help me to really understand how the motor you are talking about compares with an old school American V8. Will you post a dyno slip?
Sponsored