OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
...for the record, IF "Fatboy" is the code name, I think it may be a little distasteful.

Little Boy and Fat Man were the two bombs dropped on Japan to end the war. "Fatboy" is a mean jab a the Nissan GTR and I hope it is changed.

I get it... it is a clever name. It also builds on "Trinity" which was the 5.8 that started this all ;)

But, maybe they want that kind of head to head. Maybe it is an aggressive marketing angle...

GT500 vs. GTR, A-Bomb vs. Godzilla... It was the "testing" of such weapons that created Godzilla anyway.

Fatboy it is...
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Bi turbo meaning she goes both ways? AC/DC?

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
All V8's will get a combined port- and direct-injection setup. Hopefully starting with the Voodoo2 (Hummingbird) and the Bi-Turbo Coyote (Fatboy).
I like this post.

I've been thinking about the next gen voodoo with direct and port. I'm going to ask you a couple questions:

1) is there a plan to increase the compression ratio of the voodoo2? In itself the change to DI should increase output by ~5%. A 550hp voodoo is my guess.

2) if CR goes up to 13:1 what's the projected power output? I'm saying 575hp for the next track capable mustang. I'm just curious what the port/DI voodoo will go into. GT350 may not be done after 2017.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/twin-turbo-vs-biturbo-lets-settle-this-1589877604

Here is a debate on the two.

Twin Turbo vs Bi-Turbo

(Moving on...)
I agree. From the author of that link:

"Twin turbo and Biturbo mean the exact same thing. They mean two turbos. There is no difference. It's marketing speak. "

:cheers:

You are having a difficult time here...

Twin=Parallel (the one that gets really hot)

Bi-Turbo= Staged or Sequential (GT500 bound, Audi, BMW all use Bi-Turbo)

No, THET ARE NOT THE SAME.

Do not try and convince people the heat from a Twin Turbo system is danger, danger. It IS NOT the turbo system you are thinking.

I covered this waaaaaaaaay back in 2012. It IS NOT a Twin Turbo. It is a Bi-Turbo.

No, the GT500 won't use 4 turbos... you are lost...
BMW uses 2 equally sized turbos. They even call it "twin turbo": BMW's N63 Twin Turbo V8

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/

And the equally sized turbos don't feed each other:

Digital trends awarded the engine and calls the Audi TFSI V8 a twin turbo:

"The 4.0 TFSI V8, as you might have guessed, is a 4.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V8 that was co-developed with Bentley."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/digital-trends-engine-year-audis-4-0-tfsi-v8/

...semantics

Last edited:

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
Biturbo means it an 80s Maserati and spends 99.9% of its time in the shop!

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Bi-turbo refer to having a separate turbo on each bank of cylinders. Hence, most twin-turbos, are bi-turbo configuration.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Simple put, he is correct... It will NOT be a Twin Turbo system. It will be a Bi-Turbo system and there is a HUGE difference.
I will be interested to see if you are right. That would be very cool if the GT500 ends up with a system like you describe. Right up there with the largest FPC V8.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I agree. From the author of that link:

"Twin turbo and Biturbo mean the exact same thing. They mean two turbos. There is no difference. It's marketing speak. "

:cheers:

BMW uses 2 equally sized turbos. They even call it "twin turbo": BMW's N63 Twin Turbo V8

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/

And the equally sized turbos don't feed each other:

Digital trends awarded the engine and calls the Audi TFSI V8 a twin turbo:

"The 4.0 TFSI V8, as you might have guessed, is a 4.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V8 that was co-developed with Bentley."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/digital-trends-engine-year-audis-4-0-tfsi-v8/

...semantics
The author is in wild speculation however, he did discover the answer. I posted the answer in qoutes... Twin and BiT are two completely different things.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I like this post.

I've been thinking about the next gen voodoo with direct and port. I'm going to ask you a couple questions:

1) is there a plan to increase the compression ratio of the voodoo2? In itself the change to DI should increase output by ~5%. A 550hp voodoo is my guess.

2) if CR goes up to 13:1 what's the projected power output? I'm saying 575hp for the next track capable mustang. I'm just curious what the port/DI voodoo will go into. GT350 may not be done after 2017.
I hear 550hp is doable with the current Voodoo although not without a severe GG Tax. I imagine they will try to keep the compression the same for 91/93 octane purposes. The Voodoo would get a 25-35hp boost depending on intake design.

With PDI (Port Direct), I believe the Voodoo's 5.2 will come down. The Hummingbird is said to "zip" similar to the bird itself... hence the nickname. I believe when PDI is adopted, the Hummingbird GT350's will be a 4.7 (289) and still make 530-550hp/430-460tq but spin to 9000rpm.

The GT500's BiTurbo V8 (probably the nostalgic 5.4) WILL NOT be a FPC. It will continue to use the Cross Plane.

Anyway, these are pretty specific questions. I will need to let someone to find that out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Things that won't work on a production GT500 that needs over 750hp?

1.) Supercharger of any kind (TVS or not, 650-700hp)
2.) Parallel Twin Turbo system (Ford GT, Cobra Jet, EU-01. Most power, heat and size/weight)
3.) Single turbo using the Twin Scroll feature (Basic Ecoboost, making 600-650hp)
4.) Displacement under 5.0 liters (150hp per liter)
5.) Flat Plane Crank (Forced induction on an FPC is scary, especially over 5.0)

Last option is a Bi-Turbo cross plane crank V8 that displaces over 5.0 liters. I believe it will be a CPC 5.4 Bi-Turbo (Dual Staged Turbos) and at least ONE of the turbos in the Bi-Turbo system will be a Twin Scroll. I believe a Twin Scroll can be used within either system.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The author is in wild speculation however, he did discover the answer. I posted the answer in qoutes... Twin and BiT are two completely different things.
Yes he did. That they mean the same thing.

He stated the problem (contradicting turbo definitions among people), he gave contradicting forum examples, and concluded they were the same.

Honestly, is your reading comprehension that bad? Do you seriously just grab whatever quote fits your agenda without understanding the context?

You just quoted one of his bad forum examples to support your claims, not the other example that contradicted it or his conclusion. :headbonk:

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
I will be interested to see if you are right. That would be very cool if the GT500 ends up with a system like you describe. Right up there with the largest FPC V8.
How can you expect him to be right when he doesn't even know the difference (or lack thereof) between twin and bi-turbo?

No...At the bottom he said they are the same thing. Did you even read the article? Can you even read at all?

Yes he did. That they mean the same thing.

He stated the problem (contradicting turbo definitions among people), he gave contradicting forum examples, and concluded they were the same.

Honestly, is your reading comprehension that bad? Do you seriously just grab whatever quote fits your agenda without understanding the context?

You just quoted one of his bad forum examples to support your claims, not the other example that contradicted it or his conclusion. :headbonk:
Yep and here is a screenshot of his conclusion:
turbos.jpg

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
How can you expect him to be right when he doesn't even know the difference (or lack thereof) between twin and bi-turbo?
He clearly does not know how turbos or superchargers work. Did you catch this absurd statement:

Twin Scroll principle is similar to the SC'a Twin Screw. It can be applied to a Single Turbo, Both turbos in a Bi-Turbo setup or, maybe even both turbos in a Twin turbo system.
I don't know how anyone can take him as knowledgeable or credible after many posts like this. :headbonk:

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
He clearly does not know how turbos or superchargers work. Did you catch this absurd statement:

I don't know how anyone can take him as credible after many posts like this. :headbonk:
Oh yes, the twin screw where one screw feeds the other. So really it should be called a bi-screw...did I get that right? :confused::lol:
Sponsored