2016 No Android Auto

cdeleo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So last month I bought a 2016 GT premium with Nav. When I got it, it was on the original software update so I decided to update it since I saw 2016s would get android auto. I updated it but still don't have it, no preferences button, looked through every setting, etc. I have also master reset and redid the update 4 times, still nothing popping up. I've read through the forums and have gotten no good advice, settings confirm I am on Sync 3.3.
Any help is appreciated
Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
You should be able to get Android going. It needs to be installed in your Android smart phone first. It does not show up in Sync on its own. Once installed, you need to connect the phone via USB cable to one of the cars USB ports. My Mustang 2016 had a bad USB port, so only the one inside the middle compartment worked. Plus once I had a bad cable too. If Sync detects your phone you should be able to see the new Android button, and it should stay there even when phone is not connected. But yes, Mustang 2016 is able to support Android Auto. You even have the option to disable Android Auto somewhere in the Sync setting. I am pretty sure you will get it working, good luck!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I believe only 2017s and up have the AA/AC capabilities in the hardware, regardless of software version.
its 2016. 2015 was the last year of NO AA/CP. Thats why I kind of feel like the 2015 50th anniversary guys got ripped off, and the main reason I didn't get a 50th anniversary car.

OP
OP

cdeleo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You should be able to get Android going. It needs to be installed in your Android smart phone first. It does not show up in Sync on its own. Once installed, you need to connect the phone via USB cable to one of the cars USB ports. My Mustang 2016 had a bad USB port, so only the one inside the middle compartment worked. Plus once I had a bad cable too. If Sync detects your phone you should be able to see the new Android button, and it should stay there even when phone is not connected. But yes, Mustang 2016 is able to support Android Auto. You even have the option to disable Android Auto somewhere in the Sync setting. I am pretty sure you will get it working, good luck!
I've tried 4 cables, all usb ports, and nothing works. No options ANYWHERE in Sync, and not on my phone either. My phone is brand new and up to date, I'm using a Galaxy Z Fold 3, I'd hope for an $1800 phone AA works right haha

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've tried 4 cables, all usb ports, and nothing works. No options ANYWHERE in Sync, and not on my phone either. My phone is brand new and up to date, I'm using a Galaxy Z Fold 3, I'd hope for an $1800 phone AA works right haha
I've had the same luck on my 19 GT. So im hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I've had the same luck on my 19 GT. So im hoping someone can shed some light on this.
Do you two actually have the Android Auto app installed on your phone? Also in some cars, you need to enable Android Auto/Apple Carplay functionality within the infotainment before it can be used. I can't remember of the top of my head if our S550s are that way.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
In your Android phone, click the Settings wheel icon, Apps & notifications, See all "" apps, look for Android Auto, click on it, check if no permission have been disabled that could be needed for it to work in Sync. If not, in the same window, click on Advanced, Additional settings in the app and look there for anything that could prevent Android Auto from starting.

Edit: the latest version of Android Auto does not have its own icon visible in the app collection. Only under settings you will be able to see if it is installed, and be able to do adjustments.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The 2016 models require a USB hub upgrade for Android Auto and Carplay. You can a new hub from Ford and it installs in your center armrest storage area. Once you have the upgraded USB hub, you'll be good to go from both USB ports. (the one below the dash is connected through the one in the armrest.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
The 2016 models require a USB hub upgrade for Android Auto and Carplay. You can a new hub from Ford and it installs in your center armrest storage area. Once you have the upgraded USB hub, you'll be good to go from both USB ports. (the one below the dash is connected through the one in the armrest.
+1
I got it at the dealership for around $50. I think I had to update my Sync3 software to the latest version also. Carplay works great now.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
This is the correct answer. Part can be ordered here: https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/hu5z-19a387-a.html

Sorry... for Carplay function. Android "should" work without changing the USB.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

cdeleo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I was told the new usb hub is only required for carplay not AA

OP
OP

cdeleo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
In your Android phone, click the Settings wheel icon, Apps & notifications, See all "" apps, look for Android Auto, click on it, check if no permission have been disabled that could be needed for it to work in Sync. If not, in the same window, click on Advanced, Additional settings in the app and look there for anything that could prevent Android Auto from starting.

Edit: the latest version of Android Auto does not have its own icon visible in the app collection. Only under settings you will be able to see if it is installed, and be able to do adjustments.
everything has permission, it's up to date, idk what I'm doing wrong at this point.

OP
OP

cdeleo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Do you two actually have the Android Auto app installed on your phone? Also in some cars, you need to enable Android Auto/Apple Carplay functionality within the infotainment before it can be used. I can't remember of the top of my head if our S550s are that way.
It doesn't give me the option to turn it on in Sync, I know what it looks like from watching videos but mine has yet to pop up.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
When you tap "Settings" and swipe left what do you see? Grab a pic.
Sponsored