Sponsored

2016 Ecoboost Sync 3 fully updated but no Apple Carplay? Android Auto works though!

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hi guys,

i recently bought a 2016 EB Premium + Performance and the owner before didn't update their sync 3 at all. I updated it manually last week by going to Ford's website to get the file after i entered my vin. After the install, i have the latest non-nav Sync 3 software version 3.0 Build 18093. I use a Pixel android phone and it works perfectly. I tried connecting my friend's iphone 8 and it didn't do anything. Is there something else i need to do? I read some people had to replace the usb hub but that's if they had sync 2? Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored

eddison

Hi guys,

i recently bought a 2016 EB Premium + Performance and the owner before didn't update their sync 3 at all. I updated it manually last week by going to Ford's website to get the file after i entered my vin. After the install, i have the latest non-nav Sync 3 software version 3.0 Build 18093. I use a Pixel android phone and it works perfectly. I tried connecting my friend's iphone 8 and it didn't do anything. Is there something else i need to do? I read some people had to replace the usb hub but that's if they had sync 2? Any help would be great!

Thanks!
You still need a new USB hub to support CarPlay.

1Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
You still need a new USB hub to support CarPlay.
He is right. The sync 2 hub needed to be changed regardless when upgrading due to them being an old unit that would cause issues with sync 3. In order for you to use apple car play you will need Ford part # HU5Z-19A387-A

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
He is right. The sync 2 hub needed to be changed regardless when upgrading due to them being an old unit that would cause issues with sync 3. In order for you to use apple car play you will need Ford part # HU5Z-19A387-A
The OP never had Sync 2. He just updated the Sync 3 software to the latest version.

1Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
Of course not but I was answering his question about sync 2.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
2016’s were SYNC 3, I owned a prior 2016.

Any 2016 SYNC 3 owner HAS to upgrade the physical USB hub, period. Apple CarPlay was not a factory option in 2016 (it was supposed to be but never happened).

2016 Owners can update the SYNC 3 software multiple times and multiple ways to eternity but without that hub 1Slow5oh provided above, CarPlay will never work.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Of course not but I was answering his question about sync 2.
Sorry. I didn't realize the 2016 models with Sync 3 didn't have the hub, or that it was possible for Android Auto to work but not Carplay. I went from base to Sync 3 and needed the new hub in order for both to work.
Sponsored