2016 Mustangs - Build Quality

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
I was comparing my '15 premium to a '13 the other day and was surprised at how much more upscale the newer ones are. Previous years are just pathetic.
I had a similar experience when buying my '15 last fall. The dealership had a used GT500 from I believe 2013 or 2014. I sat inside of it after test driving my '15 just to rule out everything else and I was not impressed by the interior at all. I know Mustangs are muscle cars and the GT500 especially so, but the immense amount of cheap feeling plastic and straight lines everywhere did not impress me at all. I have a buddy who used to have a 2013 GT and I first noticed the cheap-looking plastic interior while riding in his.

IMO, Ford DEFINITELY improved the interior by leaps and bounds with the S550. My GT premium has a very well-appointed interior and lots of creature comforts for being a loud V8 speed demon. Of course it's not like a Benz or BMW, but the price tag isn't either. :)
Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a 2015 car, and I now have a 2016 car (just picked it up last week). I can say that Ford has taken major strides forward on the Mustang on QC issues :thumbsup:

My Mustang was built the week of 2/29/16, which was also the first week the plant became Mustang-only (which it will be for a while until they start building the 2017 Lincoln Continental at Flat Rock Assembly this summer). Until then, Fusions rolled down the same assembly line...

Zero body panel alignment issues. I checked for them when I took delivery. No driveline vibration between 50-70 MPH.

The two issues I have are very minor and can be dealt with by the dealer on the first scheduled maintenance visit-the parking brake isn't properly adjusted (it engages way too early!), and there's some string-like material that's pinched between the glove compartment door and the glove compartment release button (and that's only visible if you open the glove compartment) ;)

Loving my 2016 'stang :ford:
that's great. if your experience stays consistent for others, that's very good news

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a late production 2015 and panel alignment is pretty good on mine.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I was comparing my '15 premium to a '13 the other day and was surprised at how much more upscale the newer ones are. Previous years are just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
You should get a guide dog and some professional help,I have a S197 series Mustang,and I don"t have half the problems as the S550.PS.and my body panels fit too.:doh:

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Fords build quality keeps getting better and better.

Honda's build quality tends to be good. But they are not perfect.

Recently Honda had an issue with their 2.0L in the 2016 Civic.

Car & Driver:
"Honda is recalling 42,000 2016 Civics for potential engine failure.

The 2016 Civic with the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine has a piston pin retaining ring that may have been installed in the wrong position, or it could be missing entirely, the company said. Several catastrophic things can happen, such as the piston striking the cylinder wall and seizing the engine, block damage, oil leakage, and fires. The 1.5-liter turbo engine is not affected. Honda knows of at least one engine fire and another minor injury.

Dealers will use borescopes to inspect damage and replace any missing, damaged, or improperly installed piston pin retaining rings and any other associated parts. Honda did not mention outright engine replacements, though if any damage is irreparable, that’s the only option. Repairs will begin late next month."

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Fords build quality keeps getting better and better.
The embarrassing thing for Ford, though, especially with the body panel alignment issue, is that it is proof that Ford didn't use modern quality design principles on the body :frusty:

Edward Deming (the dude who wrote the book on fool-proof design, and taught the Japanese how to improve their production quality after World War II) taught us that things should be designed so that they can only go together one way: the right way. This removes the human element from the equation: if you design something right, the only way to put it together wrong is for the assembly worker to commit an act of gross negligence.

Many other auto manufacturers accomplish this by having no humans touch the body panels at all, only machines (robots) align and fasten them. Some design the body panels in such a manner that they only go together in perfect alignment.

Having to depend on humans to get the job right on body alignment issues harkens back to the 1950's :crazy: Maybe it works in small quantities (like Corvette production numbers), but knowing a little about design and production techniques from college (and having a couple of friends in the automotive industry), I can tell you that the fact that Ford is having these issues tells us how the car wasn't designed. It's a shame, too, as Flat Rock once made Mazdas that had that really good, Japanese fool proof design built into the product ;)

I'm thankful that it is just the body. We're not seeing other signs of human error in our vehicles. That's how a modern vehicle should be designed :thumbsup:

OP
OP

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the comments guys.

I am happy to hear the plant is now only producing Mustangs. With time and this focus I would think quality will improve. Just from reading these posts and as mentioned before from the other readings I have done, I get the impression the 16' model is addressing QA issues such as this to a degree. From the previous post, I agree that the design plays a role and influences the final product understanding car assembly. Frankly the only time I have noticed issues with body panel fitment on my previous vehicles was after they were in the body shop and this only usually included repaired bumpers that were re-attached to the car.

In the past I have bought Honda's and Acura's for their quality and I know Ford has come a long way in this department and especially with this car. I think part of my reason for changing vehicles/manufacturers is for 'less refinement' and to have 'more fun' as these past cars have become somewhat boring. Beyond this it doesn't help my dad is a muscle car junkie and has been all his life and I've been watching from the sidelines on my motorcycles.

I look forward to being part of the Mustang community. :)

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
There are not "a lot" of quality issues. What you have is the age of the internet where 1 or 2 examples are being blown out of proportion by a few misguided owners who think a $35k Mustang should have the same tolerances as a $200k Bentley.
no. my rear fender is very noticeable misaligned, like half the width of my thumb, and my entire front clip needs to be replaced because it is warped and doesn't sit flush. were not talking about measuring with calipers here, it looks like I backed into something

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
I have had my car for a little over a week now. Almost 500 miles on it. Only issue I have so far is the back window is a tad lower on one side. If you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice. Unfortunately I was looking for it. It is so minor though it does not bother me. we are talking millimeters. Everything else is spectacular. No rattles, auto trans is rock solid and no clunking heard at all. Runs like a bat out of hell. Can't help leaving it in sport mode even though it sucks gas compared to driving in normal mode.

Bottom line, I absolutely love my car!!!

Falcon01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost Premium PP Manual
There are some minor issues on my 16 Ecoboost, but most are pretty minor and not worth mentioning.

The alignment is pretty good and is much better than some 15's that I saw on the lot. I do have some peeling paint on my front bumper where I think it's too tight against the quarter panel, but it's small, difficult to see and isn't a big issue.

The issues that do get me annoyed:
1. My driver side window consistently squeaks every time I roll it up all the way. It may be cold weather related, but I didn't bring it in yet (waiting for service interval)
2. My handbrake is loose when off and going over bumps and road imperfections raises it enough to set off the brake warning light and chime on the dashboard, even though the brake is in no way engaged.

The handbrake issue is the most annoying one and happens practically every time I drive the car.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
2016 here... Misaligned hood/front fascia and the deprh of the door edge is off from the depth of the rear quarter panel.

As for expecting BMW quality in a 30k car, i'd be happy if the panels were aligned as good as my 18k Elantra.

That said, the Mustang can't be beat in fun factor and I guess the panels are part of its quirky charm.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
There are not "a lot" of quality issues. What you have is the age of the internet where 1 or 2 examples are being blown out of proportion by a few misguided owners who think a $35k Mustang should have the same tolerances as a $200k Bentley.
No, but it should have the same or better tolerances than a new Hyundai Elantra though. I know since we are proliferated by Hyundais these days.
Look, I love my Mustang. But, I was disappointed with the build quality. Dirt in the paint, drip blob paint on the front fender, misaligned passenger door, misaligned driver door, weird bump in the driver door stamping and a back window that isn't totally level.

I love the car, but I was disappointed to find this. I'm not talking about needing a caliper to measure these issues. that's tolerance. This is visual and pretty obvious. I was disappointed to have my brand new car painted To repair the dirt.
We can do better. We import a lot to the states, and our Mustangs are one of the few things we export to other countries. As an American and a former proud union worker, it's embarrassing. Really. For all the work and money put in to
The design of this great car to have the build not paid attention to properly is a shame. If I were a Ford exec, I'd ask what they were doing letting a car out like that. Granted, nothing is perfect. I'm critical because I care. I care about my car, I care about our workers, I care about what people think of the Mustang in other countries, I care about Ford and I care about our auto industry and the representation our cars make of it..
Ford has been great at taking care of the issues thanks to Deysha.

OP
OP

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I spoke to the dealer today about panel fitment issues and they said they would review in PDI process and if necessary deal with any issues via their body shop before pick up. They noted too they will inspect the paint finish. Hopefully all is good. This was followed up with a statememt that I'd be very happy with the car. They said they have only had to deal with a few alignment issues on other Mustangs they have sold and that generally the cars sold have been good. Personally I'd be prepared to walk and find a car on a lot that met my expectations depending on what the car looked like at pick-up. Having said all this I'm going to stay positive and realistic at the same time.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You'll love the car. It's great! No doubt. I just wanted to keep it real for the op who dismissed issues as hypercritical. Ford and my dealer have been taking care of me.
I want our Mustangs to be as well built as anything else in their price range, and that I feel is a reasonable expectation of we are to compete globally.