Sponsored

How is the build quality?

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been searching through the many posts by those who have seen the car in person, but so far have not seen anyone comment on build quality other than to say the interior is well put together. It's probably out there somewhere and I missed it, but how does the car feel overall? I'm particularly interested in the door closure feel, and whether people think rattles and squeaks would be an issue in the future.

I'm a bit neurotic about such things, so driving a car that became a rattle trap would drive me insane. It's also been my experience that cars with frameless doors have a tendency to not feel as solid as those with normal doors. For instance my BMW 135i didn't really have that satisfying thunk when you closed the doors that you expect from a BMW.

Any input on how things feel would be welcome. :)
Sponsored

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
It Is Solid as a Bank Vault! The Doors close with a Nice High Quality "Thud".The Fit and Finish are Vastly Improved over Past Mustangs and I don't think Squeaks and Rattles are going to be an Issue.

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
This car feels very well built. Nothing felt cheap and flimsy. The doors, hood, trunk all felt solid when opening and closing. The glove box, center console, etc felt good as well. The entire thing felt like a brick, not heavy like, "Man, this thing weighs too much!" but just solid. I can't find another word to describe it, but I was impressed.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
As others have said, the vert I looked at at Goodwood looked pretty well put together and the materials looked very nice.
Seen a few comments about gaps between bonnets and wings.... sorry hoods and fenders but I guess that will be sorted.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
From the past mustang.. 2014... If the windows are up and you open the door, the window will drop about a half inch much like my Audi TT does which caught me off guard... When the door is shut the window will come back up and reseal... Which is cool... Cars of the past.. always made my ear pop from the pressure of closing the door in a seamingly air tight cabin. Pretty sure the new mustang is the same way which I have seen, just not experienced the pleasure of getting into one.....yet

Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
My 2013 has excellent build quality. No gaps, panels line up, no rattles, no paint issues, no problems so far. Ever since Mulally (sp) took over, Ford has been alot better.

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have just over 22000 miles on mine and I have no issues with build quality what so ever. The new Mustang looks to be very good however the preproductions are not fully assembled on the line yet and some may even be hand built. It's hard to tell when you're just walking up and looking at them. I expect the quality to be very good from what I have seen of the preproductions so far.

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
It Is Solid as a Bank Vault! The Doors close with a Nice High Quality "Thud".The Fit and Finish are Vastly Improved over Past Mustangs and I don't think Squeaks and Rattles are going to be an Issue.
This car feels very well built. Nothing felt cheap and flimsy. The doors, hood, trunk all felt solid when opening and closing. The glove box, center console, etc felt good as well. The entire thing felt like a brick, not heavy like, "Man, this thing weighs too much!" but just solid. I can't find another word to describe it, but I was impressed.
Good to hear. I like cars that feel "of one piece" so to speak.

From the past mustang.. 2014... If the windows are up and you open the door, the window will drop about a half inch much like my Audi TT does which caught me off guard... When the door is shut the window will come back up and reseal... Which is cool... Cars of the past.. always made my ear pop from the pressure of closing the door in a seamingly air tight cabin. Pretty sure the new mustang is the same way which I have seen, just not experienced the pleasure of getting into one.....yet
Yeah my 135i did that as well, with the windows moving I mean. My old VW GTI 337 Edition had that ear popping thing. It's actually not supposed to do that, as there should be pressure release valves that mediate that. The GTI had a weird thing where if you closed both doors at the same time they would fight each other, and one or the other would not close completely. It was annoying.

I've been impressed with the improvement Ford has made in it's quality in recent years. 20 years ago I would always say to friends that I would love to support an American brand, but simply couldn't justify it due to their atrocious build quality. Thankfully it seems those days are finally coming to a close.

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
My 2012 didn't have the build quality I'd come to expect after owning Japanese and German cars, but I'm hopefully that the S550 will impress in this regard.

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
My 2012 didn't have the build quality I'd come to expect after owning Japanese and German cars, but I'm hopefully that the S550 will impress in this regard.
I don't expect BMW levels of refinement, but then that isn't really what I need out of a car. I want a car that feels solid, but it doesn't have to have silicon damped grab handles and leather everywhere. It just needs to feel well put together, not rattle or squeak, and drive well. My two BMWs have been nice, but not quite performance focused enough for me. I put coilovers on the 540i and it's closer to what I want now, but the steering is still too slow-witted, and the car has some issues I am tired of dealing with.

The previous gen cars seemed to fall in the close, but no cigar category. Hopefully this one brings it home to the category of truly solid competitor.

Sponsored

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
I thought the '10+ Premium were pretty good (standards still seemed a little rough). If the S550 improves on that, I'll be happy. But frankly I'm not looking for a step up from my current BMW. Break-even would be fine with me in a Mustang!

EleanorsBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
The thought that came to mind when I "met" the car yesterday was "Ferrari". But, without the in-your-face beige leather :p

OP
OP

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
The thought that came to mind when I "met" the car yesterday was "Ferrari". But, without the in-your-face beige leather :p
Hopefully without the idiotic turn signals on the wheel and $1200 oil changes as well.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Rode in my buddies 3+ yr old boss 302 today. The thing is heavily modified, track prepped and stiff as hell but no rattles and felt solid. Now the differential whine and straight pipes are a different matter altogether but can't blame ford for it.

lil=john

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford ranger
Thanks for one ford across the Continent for the quality. I'm glad we don`t have the cheap quality stuff here, while other countries always got the good stuff. Thanks Alan.
Sponsored