2016 Miata

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Pretty sure if they shrunk it down, made it a 2-seat roadster, and lost the V8 they could get a similar weight :)
:thumbsup: :lol::lol: That car is tiny compared to a Mustang. Comparing apples and oranges. Take the Mustang Eco engine and put it in there....now we're talkin'
Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
:thumbsup: :lol::lol: That car is tiny compared to a Mustang. Comparing apples and oranges. Take the Mustang Eco engine and put it in there....now we're talkin'
He more means they figured out how to remove 200lbs from a 2500lbs car, whereas Ford managed to add in an extra 150lbs when they redesigned it.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
I don't think anyone was saying the Mustang should weigh 2500lbs, I think they were saying it'd be nice if it didn't weigh 3700lbs.

Sponsored

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
There's a good reason as to why it lost 220+ pounds (only thing we have to go off of is a reported 100kg+ weight reduction). We haven't even confirmed if that's US spec either... anyone remember the Alfa 4C?

ND Miata specs
Length: 154.1" (3915mm) -4.2in
Width: 68.1" (1730mm) +0.4in
Height: 48.62" (1235mm) -0.78in
Wheelbase: 91.1" (2315mm) -0.6

NC Miata specs
Length: 158.3" (4,020mm)
Width: 67.7" (1,720mm)
Height: 49.4" (1,255mm)
Wheelbase: 91.7" (2,329mm)
*specs from Wiki

It lost a good deal in length, with only a small impact on wheelbase. Here's the supposed issue with the S550: that wheelbase is needed in order to have some semblance of practical interior dimensions. The Mustang has always been a relatively practical car in the grand scheme of things. You lop off a solid two feet of wheelbase, axe the back seats, stick a little atmos four-pot and cut the tire sections by nearly 50% while reducing all of the associated running gear like brakes and whatnot, and you'll lose a ton of weight. But you'll also alienate a huge crowd of buyers looking to buy it as their only car.

If I had a DD, the ND Miata would be numero uno on my wishlist to drive. I'm hoping that I can pick one up as a toy in ten years or so.

Up until kids Miata's were my daily drivers. Best car to own ever as everyone especially those who called it a chick car would trade their 4 door sedan, station wagon, can or pickup with me on a moments notice.

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
He more means they figured out how to remove 200lbs from a 2500lbs car, whereas Ford managed to add in an extra 150lbs when they redesigned it.

The MX-5 has remained pretty much consistent in quality and content whereas the Mustang got much needed upgrades in both offsetting weight they did save in the chassis.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I think it's both unfair to the S550 and dishonest to compare the ND Miata to the Mustang.

The Miata isn't designed to accommodate a physically large V8, it doesn't have the drivetrain and running gear to safely secure and use 500 hp (assuming the SVT uses the same Super 8.8 irs the GT/EB uses)..

Eliminate the HD drivetrain, remove over a foot from the wheelbase and the 2+2 and you would see a dramatically smaller and lighter Mustang..but you will also lose everything that made the Mustang what it is

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
This is the new S2000 that Honda will never make. I like the look of it, I like the size and weight. Give it at least 200HP and it'll be a great little daily driver. I also want to see the hardtop, but it sounds like it's going to be a couple years before that happens.
that is the problem. honda at least gave the s2000 enough power.. somehow mazda will not..

love mazda, but that is there mo..

beers

Sponsored

M.Senger

Threads
Reaction score
Meh. Just not enough power. If I sacrifice my everyday thing, and you really sacrifice that buying a roadster, I want at least it to be faster than my daily driving family car. But Miata is way slower than BMW 330i. If I will buy a sports car it must be fast and nice sounding. Miata doesnt have that.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So far that's only a rumor from what I'm reading.

FATTBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
A low HP rating for the Miata would not surprise me. Mazda has always tried to keep the car true to its roots and those roots are "balance". The car has never been about max performance in any category, but instead it has been to achieve a light and nimble performance machine.

I enjoy my 2000 Miata just as much if not more than my Boss 302 because it is easy to drive briskly without getting into "go directly to jail" speeds. It is rewarding, nimble, and quirky while returning good mileage. Parts are dirt cheap and it is very simple to work on.

I say bravo to Mazda if they do come out with a low HP engine for this car, I might actually buy a new one this time!

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
So far that's only a rumor from what I'm reading.
Yeah, I think a lot of people were calling bullshit on that story. I can see that engine for JDM or overseas use, but that wouldn't fly here in the U.S., especially for a car that will likely be at least as if not more expensive than the outgoing model (which isn't exactly cheap).

It just doesn't make sense to spend all that effort shedding 200 pounds only to give it a lower output motor and worse power to weight ratio than the current Miata.

If I had to guess based on the engine pics, I'd say 2L Skyactive with around 170hp.

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Some Mazda executive stated on the record that a lower-powered engine would never fly in the American market. I think we'll see 175-180 hp which will give it a reasonable power to weight at 2300 lbs.

It might sound weird but I will be cross-shopping the PRHT version with the S550 next year (along with the new M2).
Sponsored