Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT power curves (HP/TQ) on the dyno with Gibson exhaust (video)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm no dyno god, but I've done plenty of datalogging with dyno's to know the important information to be gained. I can't see the video here at work so maybe I'm missing something, but the graph shown in this thread is worthless by itself. Nobody here should be taking it as gospel or an accurate representation of the 2015 Coyote performance.
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I'm no dyno god, but I've done plenty of datalogging with dyno's to know the important information to be gained. I can't see the video here at work so maybe I'm missing something, but the graph shown in this thread is worthless by itself. Nobody here should be taking it as gospel or an accurate representation of the 2015 Coyote performance.
Agreed 100%.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
How things have changed... never haven driven it before, I figured the Coyote would be more along the lines of the old 60's carbuerated V8's with torque peaks around 1200-1800 RPM, which got real unhappy with you if you ever asked for more than 3000.

I guess I can redline it at red lights in neutral, but it seems unlikely that there's ever a situation on the street where you'll get that far into to the tach -- the speed limit comes up sooner than that.
Well for one the Coyote is very different than 50 years ago. These things rev to 7000rpms. And two you can't be serious? I definitely didn't say that. Don't rev at a stop light, that's silly, the car's not even under load. I don't know what the mustang tops out at in each gear but 1st gears gotta top out below 40 mph. and 2nd by 60. All easily attainable on the streets.

3k isn't high for any modern motor. A lot of modern diesels are happily reaching 5k and a little over. I wring my engine out to the limiter at least once every other day and can't even imagine what it's like to stay below the halfway point for the most part.

Agreed, I do about the same maybe more if i'm not concerned about mileage. Well maybe not the rev limiter but to the optimum shift point.

Then why have a V8 if you don't want/need performance? Shoulda had a V6....

Edit: Actually, it looks like you do have a V6- my bad. In that case, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to drive so sensibly to save on gas if you indeed purchased a V6 for that reason. For those of us who prefer the 5.0, well......
Still not good for the V6 either. It's not really about enjoying the car but keeping it running right. Let it breath and clean itself out.

Agreed completely

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
It's going to be even more important in the EB to let 'er rip more frequently. That last thing you want is carbon to build up on the turbo.

They get better mileage if you drive it like you stole it every now and again.

MustangTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If these numbers are right, I am sure wondering how this thing is going to beat a Boss 302 around the track with a 40lb weight disadvantage and a 30 rwhp disadvantage. The new chassis must be some kinda awesome to overcome all that, considering the Boss is no slouch as far as chassis/suspension is concerned.

Hope this is not another MPG "improved" kinda statement.

Sponsored

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
I mean... yeah. Lower revs = better fuel economy, so I try to be gentle with the throttle and let it get up to sixth gear by the time I'm at 40 mph or so and then just go from there.

Maybe once a month I'll need to really give it gas to pass somebody on the highway or get on a ramp or something, but I never reach redline there because by the time it gets to about 5500 RPM I'm already going faster than I should be...
Very simply put:

Lower revs = Fuel economy
High revs = more power.

Mathematically : HP=(RPM * T) / 5252

So, you can see why higher RPM = more power (and why the torque curve crosses the hp curve at 5252.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Updated the first post with some additional materials we received from our friends at Gibson. They told us that the dyno was done on a Dynojet chassis dyno with a manual transmission GT. Exhaust system is a 3" catback with an X-pipe that utilizes their superflow mufflers, comes with 4.5" intercooled tips (in black ceramic or polished finishes).

We have asked them for clarification on which gear the car was run on, octane, ECU reset, cool down time, etc. Will update if they provide more details.

Their exhaust system will be on dealer shelves before the cars hit dealership lots. We'll be doing a giveaway contest on the forums soon, for one of their exhaust systems, so look out for that thread.

Steve-OO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
How things have changed... never haven driven it before, I figured the Coyote would be more along the lines of the old 60's carbuerated V8's with torque peaks around 1200-1800 RPM, which got real unhappy with you if you ever asked for more than 3000.
What in blue blazes are you talking about? 1200-1800 RPM torque peaks? Out of steam by 3000 RPM?? Unless you were driving a dump truck with the Super Duty 534 engine, most (approaching all) V8 car engines in the 60s had torque peaks above 2200 RPM with 2500 - 3500 RPM common and high-performance engines over 4000 RPM.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Updated the first post with some additional materials we received from our friends at Gibson. They told us that the dyno was done on a Dynojet chassis dyno with a manual transmission GT. Exhaust system is a 3" catback with an X-pipe that utilizes their superflow mufflers, comes with 4.5" intercooled tips (in black ceramic or polished finishes).

We have asked them for clarification on which gear the car was run on, octane, ECU reset, cool down time, etc. Will update if they provide more details.

Their exhaust system will be on dealer shelves before the cars hit dealership lots. We'll be doing a giveaway contest on the forums soon, for one of their exhaust systems, so look out for that thread.
Very very cool jarstang. With that being said, I've seen the same numbers from a TP 14 auto bone stock. I'm still curious about that. The torque looks pretty good but the horses aren't there especially for a manual. Maybe they got a lazy motor though. Great gains from that exhaust if true.

zen25

Threads
Reaction score
Looking at the Dyno numbers, EB should be close to GT on performance.

EB will start making power way low down, 320hp max at just 3000rpm. Assuming 275bhp at the wheel and max torque starting a much lower rpm, coupled with 200lbs less weight, EB might even be faster at the start.

GT might take over from 5000rpm onwards. Still around the lap, the times should be close on some tracks.

Eagerly awaiting for the showdown.

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Why does the curve only start at 2900 RPM? I almost never rev my engine that high (it's rare for me to crack 2,000 RPM, and probably 90% of my driving is done below 1,500). Do you really have to string the engine out that badly to get any power out of the Coyote?
2900 rpm is nothing! My truck cruises at that rpm going 70mph 4 spd auto and a 5.4V8 3.73 gear...lol even my Audi 4cyl 1.8t is less than that and that rpm is rather low... like a tap on the gas low

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I'm impressed by most of the comments. As I have said before I am never impressed by dyno numbers. I begged Ford on twitter a few months ago to release the curves on the '15's but they flat out told me no. What can be taken from this (more or less) is the shape of the torque curve. The dip could be many things, but the GT always had that peak and dip (cam timing? to make a peak bump for marketing) The '15 curve follows the Boss curve much better as I expected it should due to better breathing, and those motion control valves (to rebeat a dead horse thread about removing them) It still runs out of steam up top but the torque is still there unlike the previous car. Someone needs to make a motion control CJ intake, possibly it's already in the works ;) :ford:

The peak and dip after the exhaust install makes me think the motion control interacting with how the dyno loaded the engine on that run it's lower in the range and very abrupt. Plus I'm not sure what the cam phase lock thingy does with repsect to cam timing at certain rpm/load vs what MCV's are doing.

As has been said multiple times if you expect to see this improvement with a pair of mufflers on a factory rated 435HP engine without a gas guzzler tax I have a neat product to sell you. A free energy supercharger that simply mounts in your intake air pipe and provides a 50HP boost with free shipping.

Overall I'm happy, 1. We have the Boss in the GT (for the most part) 2. I like being right. 3. I haven't watched the video yet :eek:
Mustang Power Curve.jpg
Boss Power Curve.jpg

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That's how it is with EVERY new car. As soon as it hits the market, vendors galore have dynos claiming 10, 20, 30 hp gains with "just" an exhaust or "just" an intake. A few months later, independent dynos show no appreciable gains.

It's easy to manipulate a dyno to your benefit. :tsk:
I agree that the dyno was most likely manipulated to, of course, sell exhausts. There wasn't much to gain with a catback on the 11-14's and the 2105 GT's will probably be no exception.

That dyno is missing data below 2900 RPM; why hide it? The temp/humidity/elevation/correction factors are not shown as well.

I would expect to see better real world dyno #'s in the coming weeks for reputable tuners.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.

Firstly, thanks for following up. Those questions you asked are vital pieces of data that need to be disclosed to make a legitimate claim. Making big claims before the car is even out is part of the problem in my mind. No one can corroborate their results at this point. I'd hate to see people get suckered in expecting 30 HP gains and they buy it, install it and see a 5 HP bump. I want to believe but I am VERY skeptical at this point.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT