1st Oil Change / Drain Plug Options

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Reason #1 when draining the oil sprays violently out of the plug hole, when done by yours truly, this isn't a good thing.
I have allowed a lube shop to change my oil but, the old guy is retiring and I don't trust the dealership as they tell me to stay away from the service tech's. I just changed my Merc Van's oil & will attempt the mustang soon as the Ford Racing filter's & Fomoto valve arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Reason #1 when draining the oil sprays violently out of the plug hole, when done by yours truly, this isn't a good thing.
I have allowed a lube shop to change my oil but, the old guy is retiring and I don't trust the dealership as they tell me to stay away from the service tech's. I just changed my Merc Van's oil & will attempt the mustang soon as the Ford Racing filter's & Fomoto valve arrive Monday or Tuesday.
I don’t see why it’s so hard for you guys to hold the drain pan up to the oil pan as you remove the drain plug.
Once oil starts to flow then place the drain pan on the floor / ground.
This isn’t rocket science.

It’s only 10 quarts.
Try doing 50 quarts in 3 five gallon buckets and having to swap buckets by plugging the drain hole with your finger while the oils 180°+ and not dripping a drop on the floor.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Dude, why are you making such a big deal out of this topic? Answer...it’s only seems to be a big deal to you. We’re gearheads and this is a neat little gadget that actually accomplishes something. Is removing the stock plug a big deal?? Nope, not at all. Does it make a mess? Yes it does. Do these drain plugs actually accomplish something that can make life a little easier? Yes it does. Who gives a f$&@. I’m sure you buy what you want to buy with your hard earned money. And this product actually does make an improvement in quality of life. I’d probably even bet a few bucks you’ve bought stuff others might find pretty stupid. I thought you were going to watch your trees grow; why are you back? (Note that I made my comment, you made yours, and moved on. You’re the one that came back to stirr the pot some more)

It’s only 10 quarts.
Try doing 50 quarts in 3 five gallon buckets and having to swap buckets by plugging the drain hole with your finger while the oils 180°+ and not dripping a drop on the floor.
Oh yea, that sounds totally awesome!! Who on earth would want to try and improve on that procedure??

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Dude, why are you making such a big deal out of this topic? Answer...it’s only seems to be a big deal to you. We’re gearheads and this is a neat little gadget that actually accomplishes something. Is removing the stock plug a big deal?? Nope, not at all. Does it make a mess? Yes it does. Do these drain plugs actually accomplish something that can make life a little easier? Yes it does. Who gives a f$&@. I’m sure you buy what you want to buy with your hard earned money. And this product actually does make an improvement in quality of life. I’d probably even bet a few bucks you’ve bought stuff others might find pretty stupid. I thought you were going to watch your trees grow; why are you back? (Note that I made my comment, you made yours, and moved on. You’re the one that came back to stirr the pot some more)

Oh yea, that sounds totally awesome!! Who on earth would want to try and improve on that procedure??
As I said before I literally buy and use 100s of Femco drain plugs. I get your point of wanting something else.
My point is, if someone is making a mess because of how fast the oil comes out, it doesn’t take a genius to know that the closer the drain pan is to the oil pan drain hole the better and less chance of a mess.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It can make a horrible mess if you are not using a large oil drain pan that is open at the top. I don't spill a drop of oil doing my oil changes when emptying the oil pan using the drain pan shown below. $9 at advance auto parts.

An $80 drain plug? What a colossal waste of money. But hey, it's your money, blow it as you see fit.
89011620_ftl_11845mi_pri_larg.jpg

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
LMAO perfect +1 here

It can make a horrible mess if you are not using a large oil drain pan that is open at the top. I don't spill a drop of oil doing my oil changes when emptying the oil pan using the drain pan shown below. $9 at advance auto parts.

An $80 drain plug? What a colossal waste of money. But hey, it's your money, blow it as you see fit.
89011620_ftl_11845mi_pri_larg.jpg
That’s the one I use and it’s fine. But it’s still harder than it has to be on the floor, on your back ruining all my Gucci shop rags lol. Honesty oil changes aren’t the same once you get use to a two post lift and a rolling 50 gallon barrel.

LOL - I do. I also hope you can laugh with me at the delicious irony in passing judgement on the financial prudence of an $80 drain plug, from within a forum for $60k cars.
Or more lol.

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i recently used this 16qt drain container:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-42003MI-Drain-Container-16-quart/44580714

worked great. no oil spilled out. i was initially concerned as the oil was coming out so fast that the oil wasnt entering the container fast enough and was filling up above the hole, but in the end nothing still came out and it all drained fine. i have no need to lift up the container, i just left it on the ground. the messiest part was the oil that came onto the drain plug and my hand, which isnt a big deal since i wore a disposable latex glove. but if the fumoto valve, which i assume will be around $40-$45, does come out before my next oil change, i love the simplicity of the valve and nipple/tube option. again i'll look at @datadatum and what he says about the ronin, but i will have a hard time spending $80+ for this sort of thing (though $40 will be ok LOL).

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
^ No worries, it is all relative and extremely subjective. For example, I can spend $8 on a beer at a concert/event, but would NEVER spend that much for a six pack at the grocery store. And in full context, I go to more events than I do oil changes. LOL

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the "Flowtool" 16 qt. pan at Wallyworld as well, it did fine on my Merc Van 5qt. oil change. Thanks for the review of how it works for a mustang.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
we have already had this designed as a drain valve before it was released and decided not to. We went through a lot of testing with different vehicles and found the valve to be restrictive for oil and the guys that had thicker sludge in the oil from age would have flow issues and just ended up removing the entire plug to drain the oil completely. I just wanted to be sure we hit our target market
I'm a little surprised a target market was people who let sludge build up. I'm sure there are a lot of people like that, but wouldn't expect them to be the ones looking for a billet plug. I would expect those people to use Jiffy-Lube (if they ever saw a need for an oil change).

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
LOL, I see guys with GT350 and Premium GT's install catch cans and never check them and 15K later realize they need to change the oil. Those are the same guys that break the plastic factory plug and use the billet drain plugs and then they vow to stay on top of it. History usually repeats itself. I prefer the billet plugs in my Stangs and F150's as I've had the plastic units fail from heat. Let alone the occasional guy that uses pliers and keeps turning the end and breaks the yellow locking tabs off.

(Jiffy-Lube would be better from what I've seen many owners do with the 5.0's)

Scary thought Jiffy-Lube being better?????

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Yep, there's always a difference of opinions on how to check the oil. It's really simple. The car calls for 10 quarts. After it's drained, and new filter is on, pour ten quarts in. Start engine, let it run about a minute, turn it off and wait about ten minutes and check the dip stick. What it shows is your full mark for your car. Dip sticks can be inaccurate, so by putting in 10 quarts and checking it, you know where full is on your car. I've followed this method for 50 years and it's worked so far! LOL!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
so by putting in 10 quarts and checking it, you know where full is on your car. I've followed this method for 50 years and it's worked so far! LOL!
Nailed it! 10 quarts is full, not the top hole on the dipstick!
Sponsored