Sponsored

15 auto trade for manual?

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Wait what? The WRX is super easy to drive. It almost takes no effort to get it going.
The manual Mustang clutch is heavier even with factory assist spring.
I just traded in a '17 WRX for this Mustang and the Mustang clutch is significantly lighter. I was actually surprised how much lighter the Mustang clutch is.

As for trading for a manual, absolutely go for it. The MT-82 kinda sucks (slow, clunky, grinds gears), but is overall a good transmission. Definitely more fun to drive than an automatic yes.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Right around 80% of all mustangs sold are auto, even GT’s, so there are plenty of people who want to drive an automatic.
Not sure where you get the 80% from as over half sold in the UK are manual

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not sure what you mean by droney. The auto is actually pretty good.
The engine note sounds continuous and drony with the auto through the gears. Having driven the auto Mustang I wasn't impressed but then I didn't like the E90 M3 auto although it was clearly a much better gearbox. I haven't seen a review which says take the auto over the stick

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're comparing some of the most celebrated manual transmissions to the MT-82.
Also comparing some of the best auto transmissions with Porsche so it's a fair comparison to say that even with Porsche's auto, the stick is hugely popular.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Glad to see that people are wanting to swap to the MT82 from the 6R80.
I do enjoy manually shifting gears, but for my current application it would be better off with that tranny.

If anyone wanted to swap in the NC area, I'd be down

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Not sure where you get the 80% from as over half sold in the UK are manual
My fault, I was thinking US sales. I just looked and production numbers for US say 80.3% of 2015 Mustangs and GT’s are auto. For U.K. sales, it is 47% so you are absolutely correct.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The issue is he's in California (if that's Orange County as his location) which means he's going to have the wonderful experience of paying taxes on the full price of the new car, regardless of the trade-in.
We all pay taxes on a new car at purchase. That's not a California thing. Missing your point?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The engine note sounds continuous and drony with the auto through the gears. Having driven the auto Mustang I wasn't impressed but then I didn't like the E90 M3 auto although it was clearly a much better gearbox. I haven't seen a review which says take the auto over the stick
We get it. You like manuals.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You're comparing some of the most celebrated manual transmissions to the MT-82.
Maybe mine is still low millage. I find it perfectly fine. Never had any issues with mine.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Good to know. Yeah the wrx is easy to drive agreed. It didint have enough leg room for me and made it uncomfortable. (tall people issues maybe)
I did test drive a manual GT. My size 14 shoes were moving all over trying to find comfort down there. I guess thats my biggest gripe. That and im long leg freak so its a little more crammed then the normal person. But dammit, i love that manual.

Suprised to see how many traded a manual for an auto. Maybe i shut it keep the auto until 2020 and pick up one of the last v8 GT's manual?
Yes the pedals are a lot closer in the WRX. The Mustangs are much further apart. I am a short guy with size 8 feet so I am okay.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My fault, I was thinking US sales. I just looked and production numbers for US say 80.3% of 2015 Mustangs and GT’s are auto. For U.K. sales, it is 47% so you are absolutely correct.
A lot of it is fleet vehicles like rental places.
Yes most people don't know how to drive a manual and don't care about learning it.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
not sure why people bash on MT82 so much..
Sure~ it's a little rough around the edges and not buttery smooth, but I mean.. it's a $30-40k car.
could be a pro or con.. to me it adds a bit of character to the Mustang.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
not sure why people bash on MT82 so much..
Sure~ it's a little rough around the edges and not buttery smooth, but I mean.. it's a $30-40k car.
could be a pro or con.. to me it adds a bit of character to the Mustang.
+1
Sponsored