11-17-19

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Chevy concocted that disastrous Blazer (another example of gluing a beloved name to a new CUV) so the soccer moms could believe they look like a Camaro riding down the road. Of course Ford had to "me too". It just better not have a pony stuck on it.
So the leaked CAD images show what look like a Ford badge on the front instead of the pony. That would be a good move IMO. Also would be better if they called it the Model E (since they barred Tesla from using that name for the model 3) instead of Mach E but we shall see.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
This is essentially a stretched Focus RS.... on a longer wheelbase.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A SUV is a car/automobiie. It just not your style and that's OK. My wife loves our Stang but her Escape handles the day to day very well.

au·to·mo·bile
noun
  1. a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine or electric motor and able to carry a small number of people.
I'll give you that an SUV could fit within the definition of "automobile", but not within 'car'.

How many electric vehicles have you driven? Now a Chevy Volt is not all that exciting, but a Tesla S Performance is really quite good.
I've been driving long enough - something like 55 years at this point - to know what I want in a car and what I don't. An EV checks too many of the wrong boxes and not enough of the right ones, and as good as their currently-available levels of straight line performance potential can be, that metric doesn't mean nearly enough to me to overlook the rest. No matter how well it might handle the day to day stuff in terms of function alone.

Totally agree and it sucks. But as an old boss of mine used to say......."It is what it is".
All I can say is wait until you're actually experiencing that square peg/round hole thing happening. I've been living it for longer than you might guess, just not in EV vs ICE form. Big hint, find the common denominator among the cars listed in my sig.

Norm

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I wonder what part s of the mach-e, will come to the Mustang hybrid..?

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I wonder what part s of the mach-e, will come to the Mustang hybrid..?
None most likely (except for the standard Ford parts like switches and knobs, etc...). BEVs and hybrids are completely different architectures. This Mach E is on a completely different frame (most likely) then the hybrid Mustang (S550 architecture with electrified 10 speed and small battery in trunk most likely).

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
It's all about marketing, rebates (perceived value) and on-line reviews/opinions.
At our dealership the Lincolns are hot sellers now.
The positive reviews of the Aviator, Corsair, Navigator and Nautilus name change have brought folks in who have NEVER considered a Lincoln before.
Positive reviews of the Explorer ST have helped it become our most looked at / sold Ford SUV now.
I feel this new BEV if styled right and MARKETED could be another hit. EV's can be boring , but make them exciting AND practical and they could appeal to many American drivers.
Combine that with a large trusted dealer network for added security.
How is the Challenger outselling Mustang/Camaro with a 10 year old design? The best, most aggressive marketing that hits emotionally.
Hell my next vehicle could be a used Challenger R/T. The style speaks to me personally like my 2015 Mustang.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang inspired or not, I'm not interested.

I've got my 2014 Edge for daily use all year, and my 2018 Mustang GT for use on nice days from Spring through Fall.

My Mustang is a toy for me with a V8 and manual transmission.

I'll never have it any other way.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is essentially a stretched Focus RS.... on a longer wheelbase.
yea, much longer wheel base for sure, like what, 20ft? LOLOLOL.... from the images being posted online someone thinks a Bus-length EV is cool...

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'll probably consider the Mach E as a replacement for my wives 18 Edge which gets a consistent 19 MPG and she drives everywhere. It'll give me more gas money for my Mustang.

Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I have ZERO interest in anything new from Ford. My '18 GT will likely be the last new Ford vehicle I ever buy. Electric or not, they don't wanna build cars any longer so I'm already planning to take my new car dollar elsewhere anyways....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have ZERO interest in anything new from Ford. My '18 GT will likely be the last new Ford vehicle I ever buy. Electric or not, they don't wanna build cars any longer so I'm already planning to take my new car dollar elsewhere anyways....
Your feelings are totally understandable. Ford's direction seems to be heading away from what us enthusiasts want. My question is if you were spending those dollars today where would you go?

johnz2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Porsche exists today with the worlds best sports cars because of the Porsche " style inspired" Cayenne. If Ford wants to go down that road and make a ton of money doing it, good for them. It will only strengthen the brand. They can't ride on the F150 forever.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I just can't get excited about a crossover. They all look the same. Just a jelly bean with different front/rear bumpers. So innovative.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Porsche exists today with the worlds best sports cars because of the Porsche " style inspired" Cayenne. If Ford wants to go down that road and make a ton of money doing it, good for them. It will only strengthen the brand. They can't ride on the F150 forever.
This is a very good point. So the discussion goes back to "Brand" vs. "Model". I'm wondering what Porschefiles would think of a 911 CUV. We think of Mustang as a model. Others within Ford are looking to make $$$ off our legend and possibly thinking of going to Mustang as a brand. Let's see what name the CUV being announced on 11/17 is. Should give some additional insight into this idea.
Sponsored