10R80 Big Problem

Chadded302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Took the car out for a 30 min drive and when i came to a halt i put the gear lever in P and shut off the car.

I release the brake pedal and notice the car rolling forward, push on the brake pedal and start button but car wont crank. Then i get a message on the cluster saying the transmission is not in park and the screen is displaying it in the reverse (R), all while the physical gear lever is in the P location.

I unplug the negative battery terminal and reconnect after 10-15 min but that didnt fix the issue. Mind you the gear lever is stuck in the P position and wont move and i cant start the car. I then unplug the trim around the gear lever and with the help of a screwdriver get the gear lever out of P position into N and am finally able to start the car. But the gearbox only goes into D, N and R. P and S dont work even though the lever is in their position.

The screen is displaying one thing and the gear lever another, the gears are no longer in synchro...

Anyone can explain me WTF is going on???

The car wont even shut off (engine will), ignition wont even when i press the button. It keeps warning me in the screen that "Transmission is not park" and i have to disconnect negative battery terminal to shut the car off completely so it doesnt drain the battery over night.

Car drives and shifts as usual when in D
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
To answer your question NO! But it would be at the dealer first thing in the morning.

Also I have been reading up on this trans as far as servicing it. There is an INTERNAL Dipstick on the Driver side of this trans and doing a fluid and filter change at 30,000 can be handled at home by anyone with a little mechanical ability. I usually turn over my vehicles around 20,000 but thought it would be awesome to accomplish this service myself.

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
From your description I'd suspect the problem lies in the shifter, the shift linkage or the electronics that read/control the trans. I'd take the fact that it drives and shifts correctly once you get it into gear as a good sign.

On the other hand, when the electric rack & pinion on my daughter's Focus died the car was throwing transmission codes so who knows? No one could figure it out until she took it to Ford for a diagnosis. After that I was able to make the repairs for about 1/4 Ford's quite.
So, if you're still under warranty I'd definitely be taking it to the dealer. And if you're not it might be worthwhile to at least get a diagnosis.

OP
OP

Chadded302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
From your description I'd suspect the problem lies in the shifter, the shift linkage or the electronics that read/control the trans. I'd take the fact that it drives and shifts correctly once you get it into gear as a good sign.

On the other hand, when the electric rack & pinion on my daughter's Focus died the car was throwing transmission codes so who knows? No one could figure it out until she took it to Ford for a diagnosis. After that I was able to make the repairs for about 1/4 Ford's quite.
So, if you're still under warranty I'd definitely be taking it to the dealer. And if you're not it might be worthwhile to at least get a diagnosis.
Im pretty sure its the electronics but who knows, unfortunately the car is not under warranty

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Where is the op? State? City?
Failure to go to park could prolly be fixed for free since you are otherwise holding a lottery ticket for some attorneys (plural).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Chadded302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Where is the op? State? City?
Failure to go to park could prolly be fixed for free since you are otherwise holding a lottery ticket for some attorneys (plural).
I'm actually stationed in Germany at the moment

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Take it to the dealership. Some stuff is best dealt with by guys/gals that focus on the weird stuff.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Sounds like a gear selector position switch is bad. Not sure on the mustangs if it is part of the gear selector lever assembly or internal to the transmission or a separate part. That’s what I’d be looking at first.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Took the car out for a 30 min drive and when i came to a halt i put the gear lever in P and shut off the car.

I release the brake pedal and notice the car rolling forward, push on the brake pedal and start button but car wont crank. Then i get a message on the cluster saying the transmission is not in park and the screen is displaying it in the reverse (R), all while the physical gear lever is in the P location.

I unplug the negative battery terminal and reconnect after 10-15 min but that didnt fix the issue. Mind you the gear lever is stuck in the P position and wont move and i cant start the car. I then unplug the trim around the gear lever and with the help of a screwdriver get the gear lever out of P position into N and am finally able to start the car. But the gearbox only goes into D, N and R. P and S dont work even though the lever is in their position.

The screen is displaying one thing and the gear lever another, the gears are no longer in synchro...

Anyone can explain me WTF is going on???

The car wont even shut off (engine will), ignition wont even when i press the button. It keeps warning me in the screen that "Transmission is not park" and i have to disconnect negative battery terminal to shut the car off completely so it doesnt drain the battery over night.

Car drives and shifts as usual when in D
@Chadded302

Depending on your build date, the issue could be related to the TSB noted in Post # 2 of this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/

---
Here's some checking you can do on your own (unrelated to the above TSB):

Pop the shifter cover plate off. Once that is off, look for the shifter cable harness. Make sure that harness is 100% plugged into the shifter assembly and that it is not loose. If that cable/harness has become loose it will create shift issues with the shifter assembly and skew electronic data to trans module and ECM.

If the shifter cable/harness is fully seated - the issue could be related possibly to emergency brake. Check e-brake assembly and make sure that's ok.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I would get the battery tested. Sometimes a bad or dead cell will cause issues. It doesn’t seem like a battery issue, but it’ll eliminate one variable.
Sponsored