Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Got my new rear tires today and surprise, no difference! They told me they don't have loaners but there one was I came in. They don't want me to leave it because that counts down days to lemon law but I have no intention of lemon lawing it. I just want a real attempt at fixing it. Went by a driveline shop on the way home but the driveline guy only works during the week, and I'm a UPS driver. Best advice we can give to new Mustang buyers is test drive it at highway speeds. If it vibrates or hums or booms, don't walk, RUN AWAY! I had a chance to reject the car when I bought it like this and I did not. Let's see what my Ford rep says. This was Ford's 2nd chance with me and it's not going well. If the car were not so awesome otherwise..... But I have had less problems with USED CARS! New car warranties are overrated in my opinion.
Sponsored

Seewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
My 16 GT gets now a new DS, they ordered it 2 weeks ago and I hope it will be here in 4 weeks or so.
Horrible to get parts to germany....thx Ford.
IĀ“m not very optimistic that the new DS ist better than the old one... :shrug:

If they canĀ“t fix it IĀ“m thinking about buying on of these one piece DS, which is offered from a lot of shops.

Did anyone do that and got rid of these vibrations ?
IĀ“m a little bit afraid because theyĀ“re one piece and completely solid...donĀ“t want to spend that money and add even more vibrations.

Yes a new car should run perfectly without such problems...but....anyway

LumenCordis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt
My 16 GT gets now a new DS, they ordered it 2 weeks ago and I hope it will be here in 4 weeks or so.

If they canĀ“t fix it IĀ“m thinking about buying on of these one piece DS, which is offered from a lot of shops.

IĀ“m a little bit afraid because theyĀ“re one piece and completely solid...donĀ“t want to spend that money and add even more vibrations.

I tried a 1 piece aluminum unit, and it did absolutely nothing for my car. I really don't believe the DS is the culprit here.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
It can be the driveshaft, but it's the entire rotating assembly behind the transmission. Going back to Japanese FWD next time. But I'm still determined to get this liveable. Now both dealer and Ford service says no rental or loaner is available. That's BS, dealer had a loaner there when I was there on Saturday. I think I need to be transferred at this point to another dealer that has the actual equipment to do what is prescribed in the SSM. They need to keep the car and give me a rental. Haven't many of you been given loaners and rentals? I am starting to feel that because I am nice and polite I am getting disregarded. Do I need to get loud and rude with people? That's not how I am, but I'm starting to feel that way.

DO not get a 1 piece, waste of time. What you can do and what I am thinking of doing is take the car to a driveline shop who can do an ON CAR balance. They could also find parts with excessive runout, at which point if it's a flange just pay for it and have it replaced or you could go back to Ford. I think the best course of action is to pay a shop that has an actual interest in fixing it.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat

They tried 3 different ones on my car & ended up doing the on-car balance. 2nd one they ordered & installed was worse than the original. These DS's have a sticker right on them that says 'discard if dropped' - care to bet on the odds yours gets dropped or slammed around at least once on the 3-4 week trip from the US to GR ??

Sponsored

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Haven't posted lately so I want to remind people how I fixed mine .I am a auto tech 35 years,I fixed mine or made it 95% better by changing the clock position(indexing) the rear drive shaft to pinion flange position.I tried 5 different positions and it makes a huge difference.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
Haven't posted lately so I want to remind people how I fixed mine .I am a auto tech 35 years,I fixed mine or made it 95% better by changing the clock position(indexing) the rear drive shaft to pinion flange position.I tried 5 different positions and it makes a huge difference.
And this is exactly why I am seriously considering paying a driveline shop to take a look at my car to see what they think.

Motoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
New 2016 Owner here and didn't feel the vibration that much with a full tank of gas. I'm at 1100 miles and time to bring it in. Let's hope it's a one and done on getting it repaired.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
New 2016 Owner here and didn't feel the vibration that much with a full tank of gas. I'm at 1100 miles and time to bring it in. Let's hope it's a one and done on getting it repaired.
Weight matters... with me and 2 passengers, it is hard to feel it in my car. The added weight changes the damping characteristics of the floor/tub. But adding 300-400lbs to the car is not really a viable option.

For [MENTION=23945]Seewolf[/MENTION], I would press them hard to use the indexing method and/or the hose clamp method vs throwing new parts at it. My car had 3 DS and 2 pinion flanges without any improvement. If they have measured the run out and it is in spec, I'd want them to do on the car balancing.

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Replying to ABS550,could not figure out how to reply to a private message. Took my car to the dealer at 1000 miles for the vibration and they replaced the drive shaft.The shop manager and I went for a ride and there was no difference. He thought it was a tire balance issue (I knew it wasn't) so they road force balanced and replaced 1 rim and tire-no difference so I took it to my shop and noticed the yellow paint marks on the rear of the drive shaft and the pinion flange were not lined up.I lined up the paint marks and the vibration was much better. I turned it clockwise 1position and it was better but not gone so I turned it clockwise 1 more and it is now gone or 95% gone.

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Which Mustang models does this affect the most? I have a V6 and it is smooth. I've only been reading about these horror stories until last week. They had to put me in a rental for 1 day for a warranty job and I got a '16 EB. This car actually had 6,000 fewer miles on it than mine and once I got to drive it....oh. my. god.

Driving on the highway to work, between 50 and 70, it was absolutely horrible. Worst car I'd ever been in, hands down. I could feel it in the seat of my pants as well as steering wheel plus it was noisy too. Kind of like driving an old truck. I would never keep a car like that if it was mine. I am assuming this is the same problem.

Motoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Which Mustang models does this affect the most? I have a V6 and it is smooth. I've only been reading about these horror stories until last week. They had to put me in a rental for 1 day for a warranty job and I got a '16 EB. This car actually had 6,000 fewer miles on it than mine and once I got to drive it....oh. my. god.

Driving on the highway to work, between 50 and 70, it was absolutely horrible. Worst car I'd ever been in, hands down. I could feel it in the seat of my pants as well as steering wheel plus it was noisy too. Kind of like driving an old truck. I would never keep a car like that if it was mine. I am assuming this is the same problem.
I rented a v6 convertible last February in California and it was smooth with no vibration with 35000 miles on it. I'm thinking it's a bad run of parts I'd guess.

Seewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
They put a new DS in yesterday and it is a big improvement !
So I had lots of luck to get a good DS.

Vibrations are not completely gone but much better.
I'll bring it to a DS Shop in the next few weeks and let balance it. Ok it will cost me my money but if the car is 100% smooth after this....

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)

Yup, that's what I drive every day.. And now mine has a very low frequency boom at 45mph now. Nice... Thanks for killing my dreams...

team_car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
My new '16 base GT PP MT is currently at the dealer for this. They say the driveshaft is balanced and indexed. Waiting on a new rear diff. Will update once I get the car back.
Sponsored