Sponsored

Does your Gen 3 Coyote V8 have oil consumption?

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Only for the first 800 miles or so. After that, no oil consumption whatsover.
Sponsored

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
If you had it changed at the dealership most likely they only put 8 qts in it. Lol
I had mine changed at the dealership for the first time last week. Told them when I walked in I told them the car takes 10qts. They said we got this. Tell my car is ready so ask how many qts did the put in it. Guy says 8 it said full on the stick .I looked at him and said no way. He then proceeds to tell me some take 8qts some take 10. I told him I'm checking my oil before I leave and will be back for the last 2 qts to complete my oil change.
I pull the dipstick and not one drop on it. I carry it back inside and show them . They start to apologize and added the 2 qts at no charge. I look at him and ask him how many 18+ mustang's are running around our area low on oil and proceded to educate them as to why the 18+ gets 10 qts instead of 8. Lol
Wow, no wonder there are some many scored, and ticking Gen 3s out in the wild.

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Update:

Changed the oil Friday, down a little less than a quart after pouring the oil in the new jugs. 4k oil change, (2) bottles of ceratec..

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I did a borescope today and found barely perceptible scoring in cylinders 2 and 6. This is 6 below.

Again, about 3/4 quart consumption in 3500 miles, no tick, and light 2k rattle.
Screenshot_20200306-170325.jpg
I am no engine master but after going through a bit of forum paranoia shortly after my rattle started on my 19, that scoring looks normal. Some say the plasma liner shows scoring a bit more then traditional liners.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
2018, Whipple stage 2, 27k miles. Mine has the 2k rattle but no tick. I recently changed oil and measured 200 cc used in 10,000 miles. I’ve used pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 almost since new.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 Mustang GT PP2 wiht a gen 3 Coyote V8. After 5.5 months, I have only driven 2500 miles. My last oil change was about 1100 miles. this was the car's first oil change. I pulled the dipstick out and did not see a reading on the stick. I decided to drain the oil and use an old 5 quart container to measure the amount of oil in the engine. I measure only 8.75 quarts. OK , the filter has about 1/4 quart or so. At best, I am burning at least 1 quart in 1400 miles. This car was gently broken in. No RPM over 3K for the first 600 miles. No RPM over 4500 until 1, 000 miles. I added about 1/2 a quart and it is now just above the lower hole and about 20% up the stick. Seems to need much more.

Should I be concerned?

Frank
Mine burns zero....

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a question...

Those that are burning oil some, who does and who does not have the tick?

Mine after the oil is changed is very prevalent, until I put a can of Ceratec in, then it tapers off.

Again, "it's normal".. Ford, you are full of shit...,

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Here is a question...

Those that are burning oil some, who does and who does not have the tick?

Mine after the oil is changed is very prevalent, until I put a can of Ceratec in, then it tapers off.

Again, "it's normal".. Ford, you are full of shit...,
Mines the same way exactly, except I burn 1 qt per 2k miles, but I hit 7500 rpm about 15 times a day on average and probably did about 100+ 1/8th mile runs last oil change and 15 or so 1/4 miles so I am happy with the amount it burns considering how I drive it. My catch can probably catches about 5 oz of the burned oil so I bet some gets by, I probably need a better catch can.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OP here,

I am at just over 3,000 miles and do seem to be showing an oil loss and do not have any tick. I do have a 2K-3K rpm flutter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I posted early on but at 28k miles now and just did another oil change. Still not burning oil and I have had the 2k rattle since early on. I heard the bbq tick once around 26k miles. Never heard it before and haven't heard it since. I did add a bottle of ceratec to this oil change.

mustang123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I got my 19 as a CPO, came with 26k miles. Car is DD, but I do at least a couple of hard pulls every day. Occasionally I take it on some twisty roads and drive the crap out of it for 30 min. I lose 1 qt every 3000 miles or so under normal driving conditions. I have noticed losing 1 at after 30 min of hard driving. I use OEM Motorcraft Synthetic Blend

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
With the 'new' plasma coating starting in 2018, it seems like the luck of the draw with oil consumption. Hope that I have good luck with my engine for a change. Ha ha. One thing I know is our cars use the same PCV valve as F-150s, and they fail often. And you know that because they start making a rattling/fluttering noise, especially noticeable at start up. Had to change it in my F-150 Platinum at 12K miles, and engine was back to almost silent... but most importantly, no oil going thru it. Guess what? My brand new car (with 66 miles) had the exact same noise, but dealer had no PCV valves, so I just ordered a couple and replaced it the other day, and no more noise. My engine is one of the quietest Coyotes I've heard; hope it stays that way :D. But most importantly, hope it doesn't drink oil. We'll see. If I see oil consumption, I'd install a catch can at the first oil change (at 1K miles; 300 now), and monitor consumption again.

Finally, oil consumption on V8 F-150s is MUCH worse than here, so not sure what's different. It could be the PCV valves, rather than the plasma coating, but who knows.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
One thing I know is our cars use the same PCV valve as F-150s, and they fail often.
Finally, oil consumption on V8 F-150s is MUCH worse than here, so not sure what's different. It could be the PCV valves, rather than the plasma coating, but who knows.
Hello; I am new to this site. I joined today because of concerns about excessive oil consumption in the Gen 3 Coyote V-8. My plan has been to buy a Mustang GT with a V-8 and the manual trans. Had a decent deal fall thru a while back on a GT and could not get the discount I wanted on a leftover Bullitt last winter before the virus shutdowns.
I did get a nice deal on a 2019 F-150 a month or two ago but did not buy after learning of the potential excessive oil consumption and finding out about the TSB from Ford about that issue for the F-150.
I did a lot of searches on the issue, finding some good information on this site. I have read thru some of the threads here on the subject as well as other sites. My early thinking was rings not seating based on the TSB from Ford. That they reprogramed the PCM so the throttle body venturi does not close all the way and that they state oil consumption may get less after ten thousand miles.
Your observation about the PCV valves is the first new, to me, idea I have read about. As you say "who knows" at this point. I do want to get some sort of understanding about the issue, if that is even possible. I tried to get some idea from Ford about the odds of getting a bad F-150 engine but if they know they are not giving out the info. So the F-150 was sold to someone else while I searched for information.

I still want to get a mustang GT with a manual so continue to search. After reading many posts on here decided to join the site. I gather no one outside of Ford actually knows and they will not tell. I will follow this and some other threads with the hope of getting what ever the latest information turns out to be.

Back several decades ago my 57 Chevy sedan was wrecked. I gave the small block V-8 to a friend. He built it to race on a dirt track. Built it to run free so some tolerances were a bit loose. It burned oil. After a substantial crash he gave up racing and put the engine in a street car. He kept a case of oil in the trunk and had to add oil anytime he got gas. I read thru this thread and saw comments relating oil consumption to hard driving. This is an interesting idea. Another idea to keep track of.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Not enough to notice. I get about a teaspoon full every thousand miles or so in the catch can though.
Sponsored