Sponsored

Does your Gen 3 Coyote V8 have oil consumption?

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Oil sample is in the mail on the way to Blackstone labs for analysis. Also made an appointment with Levittown Ford for the 27th to see what is going on. Will keep all in the know as details come in.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
whatever the diff is between the top circle and bottom circle on the dipstick is what I burn in 5k miles. But I also run a catch can.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’ll be interested to hear what the dealer tells you @Fly2High

I have a 2019 PP1 and it enjoys drinking oil.

I’ll likely be taking mine in depending on what I find out this weekend when I change it.

My first change was done at Ford and I made sure they added 10 quarts. Watched him dump all ten in.

I have a catch can and I’d estimate I get 1-2 teaspoons each time I dump it.

My second change I did myself in June. I was 1.5 quarts low.

The car sat untouched in the garage from late August until early November because I was sidelined due to neck surgery and couldn’t drive.

About two months ago I checked it and it was below the bottom fill hole so I added 3/4th’s of a quart.

About two weeks ago I checked and it was good.

It’s time for a change so I’ll do it this weekend and I’m interested to see where I’m at. If I’m low again I’ll take it to Ford to have an oil consumption case started.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
My burns some. Unsure as to how much. My 2011 GT w/ 6M and 3.73 consumed prodigious amounts of oil, but was still running great when I sold it at 190K+ miles. I think with a 3.73 and 6M (like my current car) and my habit of engine braking, I think you may see more oil consumption - unsure if this is true - it's sort of a hunch I have where high revs against a closed TB causes high vacuum and thereby sucks oil into the intake manifold.

Now, if you would like to know about the only engine I've ever had that absolutely never ever burns a drop of oil, the 2.3 EB in my 2018 Focus RS is just amazing. It simply uses no oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My burns some. Unsure as to how much. My 2011 GT w/ 6M and 3.73 consumed prodigious amounts of oil, but was still running great when I sold it at 190K+ miles. I think with a 3.73 and 6M (like my current car) and my habit of engine braking, I think you may see more oil consumption - unsure if this is true - it's sort of a hunch I have where high revs against a closed TB causes high vacuum and thereby sucks oil into the intake manifold.

Now, if you would like to know about the only engine I've ever had that absolutely never ever burns a drop of oil, the 2.3 EB in my 2018 Focus RS is just amazing. It simply uses no oil.
Funny you say that.

I had a Scion TC that had poor piston rings. I did my own oil changes and saw at least a quart down each 1,500 miles. Toyota sealed the system to do a test. They would not let me check if they over filled it. Since it was a 5sp, I decide to never use 5th gear. Those extra RPMs must do something. It failed the test and had the pistons replaced, then they screwed up oil delivery and the block dies so it got a short block. then the counter balance shafts were making noise and needed repair. Finally, all this articulating broke both outer CV joint boots so they had to replace both axles. Thankfully, all this was on Toyota's dime. The car only had 34K miles on it too. When I sold it, it had 50K and was starting to show the oil consumption again. Ford told me someone bought it. I hope they got a warranty.

Not looking forward to the 5.0L having the same issue, especially since I baby the car.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just got back from the dealership. Never let them give you an eco sport suv. Slow and ugly and tiny. I was happy to get mine back.

They looked for a leak but found nothing. They filled the oil to the proper amount and marked the dipstick. They told me to come back after 1000 miles to see the loss. Let’s see where this goes . At first they said a quart loss is normal but my car had an oil change at 1016 and it was 2500 when I added a quart. At 2879, they said they added a quart to fill it up - 300 miles later! I told them that the car should not have needed a quart after being filled just 300 miles. They said they will check things after the 1000 miles and go from there

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
No oil consumption at the first oil change at 5k miles. 7500 miles last weekend and oil still at the top hole. No detectable consumption.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not sure if any of this matters but my car, 2019 GT PP2, was broken in where I did not exceed 3k rpm for the first 800 miles and then did not exceed 4,500 rpm until 1,000 miles. Then I had ford so an oil change.

I do not hear any typewriter tick but I do notice a flutter or rattle sound between 2,000 and 3,500 rpm. I asked them to check and they said the flutter was normal. Their comment was that these engines make lots of unusual noises but they are normal.

Will see if this holds true

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2018 GT Premium used about a quart in the first 5K miles with factory fill. Oil change a 5K and since no detectable consumption with 10W-40.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I changed mine Saturday. Following up on my post above I expected to see a loss greater than or equal to my last change (which was about 1.5 low). Thankfully I only showed about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart loss.

I’ll do another change in 3k miles and keep my eye on it.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I was going wot through the 10 speed @ 150 miles on OD and tuned at same time. No easy break in on mine. First oil change 2900 miles. Motor was whisper quiet until 2500-3000 miles. Have occasional tick right after cold start that goes away once warm. 9970 miles today and again no perceived oil burn. 5w-30 PUP. Motor pulls the 4000 plus pound cat scaled pp1 car (w/me) through the quarter 121-122 mph @ 1500’.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Not sure if any of this matters but my car, 2019 GT PP2, was broken in where I did not exceed 3k rpm for the first 800 miles and then did not exceed 4,500 rpm until 1,000 miles. Then I had ford so an oil change.

I do not hear any typewriter tick but I do notice a flutter or rattle sound between 2,000 and 3,500 rpm. I asked them to check and they said the flutter was normal. Their comment was that these engines make lots of unusual noises but they are normal.

Will see if this holds true
I have just under 5000 miles on my 2019 and I'm seeing about 3/4 quart consumption since my first chance at 1600 miles.

Your description of your 2k rattle is very similar to mine... does it appear to change with engine temperature? Mine will be a light rattle until the engine warms, becoming a high-pitched flutter sound.

I'm doing a borescope tomorrow just to make sure everything's copacetic.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have just under 5000 miles on my 2019 and I'm seeing about 3/4 quart consumption since my first chance at 1600 miles.

Your description of your 2k rattle is very similar to mine... does it appear to change with engine temperature? Mine will be a light rattle until the engine warms, becoming a high-pitched flutter sound.

I'm doing a borescope tomorrow just to make sure everything's copacetic.
Never really noticed. I think the RPM gets higher as it warms up so it might be heard at 2K when cold and then moved to a higher rpm as it warms up. Will need to pay closer attention to it and will get back to you.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I did a borescope today and found barely perceptible scoring in cylinders 2 and 6. This is 6 below.

Again, about 3/4 quart consumption in 3500 miles, no tick, and light 2k rattle.
Screenshot_20200306-170325.jpg
Sponsored