OPG Install Tips

Paperdude2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350, 2018 Range Rover
Those of you replacing the OPG, could you post pics and or report on the condition of the OEM like @honeybadger did on the first page?

My oil pump gears and pump casing were in great shape no signs of wear, I replaced them as an insurance policy before I run my Whipple Gen 5. I did do the drop test on my garage floor from about 4 feet and the outer gear broke in 2 pieces. When I looked at the crack you could see the base metal was very porous. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures.
Sponsored

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
My Oil Pump gear Post drop 4ft also
20190827_075416.jpg

Paperdude2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI - you cant prime the coyote/voodoo using the starter. Doesn't spin it fast enough to build pressure. Only way is to pressurize the system with a pre-oiler
I would be interested in knowing which pre oiler system you used, since we have the composite oil pan on the GT 350 I don’t want to use a system like trick flow where it looks like you have to tap into the oil pan. Appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
My oil pump gears and pump casing were in great shape no signs of wear, I replaced them as an insurance policy before I run my Whipple Gen 5. I did do the drop test on my garage floor from about 4 feet and the outer gear broke in 2 pieces. When I looked at the crack you could see the base metal was very porous. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures.
Thanks @Paperdude2016 ! You can see the porousness in @FLATPLANE ’s pic too.

That and a poorly seated pick up gasket are my two biggest concerns.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Hey guys, going to be tackling this soon. What pre oiler system do you guys recommend? I've always primed other cars via starter and fuel pump disconnected. Wasn't aware that could cause issues.

Sponsored

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Curious why the drop of gears from 4" means something....
Lots of stuff breaks when dropped
It means its brittle. When you bounce of a limiter you get that quick direction change that can send harmonic shock through the gear and shatter it.

billet is more flexible.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You should have dropped the new billet gears on a concrete floor as well to see the difference.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
It means its brittle. When you bounce of a limiter you get that quick direction change that can send harmonic shock through the gear and shatter it.

billet is more flexible.
So when Ford added the rev limiter they forgot about the oil pump gears?

Paperdude2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, going to be tackling this soon. What pre oiler system do you guys recommend? I've always primed other cars via starter and fuel pump disconnected. Wasn't aware that could cause issues.
I just primed mine today and used an Allstar Performance ALL 10535 system that I purchased from JEGS cost about $170. Worked great hardest part was the tight fit around oil pressure sending unit which I removed to install the fitting from the oil primer tank. Had to order another AN Fitting to connect the system to my oil pump since the extra fitting supplied had thread size for a MOPAR. Removed my plugs and slowly rotated engine while forcing about 4 quarts of oil through the engine. I’m sure other systems work about the same but this is what I did.

Sponsored

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I just primed mine today and used an Allstar Performance ALL 10535 system that I purchased from JEGS cost about $170. Worked great hardest part was the tight fit around oil pressure sending unit which I removed to install the fitting from the oil primer tank. Had to order another AN Fitting to connect the system to my oil pump since the extra fitting supplied had thread size for a MOPAR. Removed my plugs and slowly rotated engine while forcing about 4 quarts of oil through the engine. I’m sure other systems work about the same but this is what I did.
Sounds like a giant pain in the ass for about 4 seconds of lubrication, but definitely smart to do it. I'd imagine if I took my car in to a shop to get the OPG installed, I highly doubt they would go through the trouble.

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
Its Great piece of mind considering the cam journals are not serviceable

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I did mine on my back. it was not bad at all.
I have my belly pan off about to tear into it. I'm not seeing how you guys are getting to some of the front pan bolts without moving the steering rack or raising the motor. You guys all been able to do this without moving the subframe, rack, or motor?

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Has there been evidence yet that breaking OPG's have been a primary cause (not association or sequela) in any engine/oiling failures? The long camshafts for I6 and V12 engines will also easily break if dropped on concrete, but that doesn't mean they're causing engine failures.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Has there been evidence yet that breaking OPG's have been a primary cause (not association or sequela) in any engine/oiling failures? The long camshafts for I6 and V12 engines will also easily break if dropped on concrete, but that doesn't mean they're causing engine failures.
OPG failures are the common cause of engine failures on coyotes/vooodoos with FI especially, but it's also a common cause of failure in many many other vehicles with highly modified engines. OPG failures means instantly no oiling and metal bits going around your engine. Not good.
Sponsored