I like to disassemble things.
Ford Racing says "1st quarter."
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Does anyone have word on when the Ford OEM separators might become available? Is there a part number I can start checking up on?

Would like to get one installed as soon as I get my car, which should be less than a month away now. Probably running out of time to order one either way so I am starting to consider which aftermarket unit would be my 2nd choice.
Just to correct this, it is not an OEM part. Ford Racing/Performance parts are as aftermarket and any other part maker.

Who knows if this will be any better or worse then what it out there- JLT, UPR, Bob's, Mishiimoto etc. It is pretty steep at almost $200 though.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Just to correct this, it is not an OEM part. Ford Racing/Performance parts are as aftermarket and any other part maker.

Who knows if this will be any better or worse then what it out there- JLT, UPR, Bob's, Mishiimoto etc. It is pretty steep at almost $200 though.
True, but the important part for me is that it says Ford, looks OEM, and therefore just might pass a Ca SMOG visual... maybe. :)

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I don't live in a smog law state, but I also like the fact of the oem look, but I also are considering the upr set up because of its dual can.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but the important part for me is that it says Ford, looks OEM, and therefore just might pass a Ca SMOG visual... maybe. :)

The part doesn't need to have "FORD PERFORMANCE" plastered on it's top - put it on the bottom. You aren't defeating any devices or tampering and are keeping a closed system, closed. A cleaner system allows the engine to run efficiently as possible. This isn't about making your car faster or dirtier. Plain Jane goes a long way here.

This is how this piece should look. Eyebrows would not be raised.
breather.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The part doesn't need to have "FORD PERFORMANCE" plastered on it's top - put it on the bottom. You aren't defeating any devices or tampering and are keep a closed system, closed. A cleaner system allows the engine to run efficiently as possible. This isn't about making your car faster or dirtier. Plain Jane goes a long way here.

This is how this piece should look. Eyebrows would not be raised.
They can't pawn it off as an OEM part or deceive is why; that would be a massive lawsuit- people thinking its a warrantied item from Ford itself. All kinds of consumer protection law violations doing that.

Ford Racing/Performance is a different company than Ford Motor Corp.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Racing/Performance is a different company than Ford Motor Corp.
Clearly understood.

And I never said anything about pawning it off. If Ford so chose, they could get an exemption number from CARB if necessary. They can mark the bottom or back with any disclaimer they so choose.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Clearly understood.

And I never said anything about pawning it off. If Ford so chose, they could get an exemption number from CARB if necessary. They can mark the bottom or back with any disclaimer they so choose.
What Im saying is that you cannot take off Ford Performance logo as per your pic, that is the part company, not Ford Motor Company. Just leaving the Ford logo would be false advertising that its an OEM part or a warrantied part.

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
Ford Racing says "1st quarter."
Thanks. Guess I'll probably end up with a UPR in the meantime and consider switching if I like the Ford Performance one enough.

Yeah the OEM look was the main reason I wanted it over the other options, not that I expect it to be any better. I have had CA smog stations and even a police officer try to tell me that strut braces are illegal engine modifications... a shiny catch can might be far too tempting!

I don't live in a smog law state, but I also like the fact of the oem look, but I also are considering the upr set up because of its dual can.
Welcome back!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Racing sold me roller lifters for a '90 coupe. Nowhere did the parts say FORD RACING on them. The same with fuel injectors, etc. The parts technically become Ford Racing parts as much as they are reboxed Ford parts.

In this case Ford Performance sells a breather that Ford did not install on the vehicle as an OEM piece. They are not required by law to put a neon sign on a certain face to indicate whether it is an OEM piece or an aftermarket piece that may, or may not, qualify as a replacement part or as a "legal add-on or modified part," thus requiring an exemption number. If they did pay to get an EO number, you can rest assured it would be on the part but again, they could place that wherever they wanted. They don't need one for this part.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm

Furthermore, an added oil separator on a closed crankcase system meets the standard in Apendix G of CARBS aftermarket parts verification guideline. Read Page 2, Other, Oil Separator/Filter. You'll see that the part would not require EO verification during inspection.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX%20G%20final%2012-2009.pdf

As dense as CARB/EPA may seem, they recognize that a properly installed oil separator is also effective in minimizing intake tract contamination. It is a "clean" part.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Thanks. Guess I'll probably end up with a UPR in the meantime and consider switching if I like the Ford Performance one enough.

Yeah the OEM look was the main reason I wanted it over the other options, not that I expect it to be any better. I have had CA smog stations and even a police officer try to tell me that strut braces are illegal engine modifications... a shiny catch can might be far too tempting!

Welcome back!
Thanks Kevin!

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Very interesting reading indeed! I wonder why my SMOG guy failed our Jeep SRT at visual inspection for our Oil Separator at last check? Is there anything I can bring with me the next time we take it in? Would a printout of this link be enough you think?

Ford Racing sold me roller lifters for a '90 coupe. Nowhere did the parts say FORD RACING on them. The same with fuel injectors, etc. The parts technically become Ford Racing parts as much as they are reboxed Ford parts.

In this case Ford Performance sells a breather that Ford did not install on the vehicle as an OEM piece. They are not required by law to put a neon sign on a certain face to indicate whether it is an OEM piece or an aftermarket piece that may, or may not, qualify as a replacement part or as a "legal add-on or modified part," thus requiring an exemption number. If they did pay to get an EO number, you can rest assured it would be on the part but again, they could place that wherever they wanted. They don't need one for this part.

Furthermore, an added oil separator on a closed crankcase system meets the standard in Apendix G of CARBS aftermarket parts verification guideline. Read Page 2, Other, Oil Separator/Filter. You'll see that the part would not require EO verification during inspection.

As dense as CARB/EPA may seem, they recognize that a properly installed oil separator is also effective in minimizing intake tract contamination. It is a "clean" part.

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack

Of course I know the oil separator is perfectly clean to run! But in CA you don't actually have to be doing anything wrong to be inconvenienced by these things. Smog stations have the approximate quality of work and knowledge as Jiffy Lube. They also tend to suspect that anyone with visible modifications could be a CARB sting which just causes more unreasonable reactions.

Very interesting reading indeed! I wonder why my SMOG guy failed our Jeep SRT at visual inspection for our Oil Separator at last check? Is there anything I can bring with me the next time we take it in? Would a printout of this link be enough you think?
That's the real problem with our smog laws in CA and the witch hunt for modifications. Good intentions I'm sure, but it enables people to act when they don't actually know what they are looking for. Police officers who get the one day of training to spot modified vehicles are told they're now experts, and sent out to hunt. Smog inspectors are obviously sometimes equally clueless. I think it has improved recently but inconvenient experiences a few years ago make me extra cautious now.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
In the Bay Area, I had to go to a smog inspection place a couple streets over from where I originally went because the first guy insisted that the vent port on the stock wastegate of my 1995 Audi S6 has to be plugged into something. I got by the second guy by showing him diagrams off the internet on my phone. They'll totally fail you by default if your car is old or uncommon enough and they don't understand it, which most don't because at most they deal with oil change level of car repair difficulty.

So glad to be out of that state.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Always be prepared and that includes being aware of the law as well as having organized documentation to bolster your argument. You can seek remedy if the tech was in error. What exactly was his claim as to the "failure?"

Of course I know the oil separator is perfectly clean to run! But in CA you don't actually have to be doing anything wrong to be inconvenienced by these things. Smog stations have the approximate quality of work and knowledge as Jiffy Lube. They also tend to suspect that anyone with visible modifications could be a CARB sting which just causes more unreasonable reactions.

That's the real problem with our smog laws in CA and the witch hunt for modifications. Good intentions I'm sure, but it enables people to act when they don't actually know what they are looking for. Police officers who get the one day of training to spot modified vehicles are told they're now experts, and sent out to hunt. Smog inspectors are obviously sometimes equally clueless. I think it has improved recently but inconvenient experiences a few years ago make me extra cautious now.
Hence my argument for being low key and in following the law as I originally stated.
Sponsored