Sponsored

It’s finally time GT500 KR (update: being built)

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'21 Grabber Yellow GT500 CFTP, '23 F150 King Ranch
Congrats! I wanted the widebody but get the SE hood as well. They will not. Do not want to pay 55K to get a hood.
Thanks! Yeah that would be a lot of money to pay for a hood. And I’m not surprised they wouldn’t do the hood as a standalone. I was willing to pay them to paint and install those vented front fenders of mine during the conversion process, and that was a nonstarter of a conversation for them. They stay pretty tight in their lane; at least it seems that way to me.
Sponsored

Shelbeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAJ
Vehicle(s)
GT500, MME-GT, BMW X-1
Thanks! Yeah that would be a lot of money to pay for a hood. And I’m not surprised they wouldn’t do the hood as a standalone. I was willing to pay them to paint and install those vented front fenders of mine during the conversion process, and that was a nonstarter of a conversation for them. They stay pretty tight in their lane; at least it seems that way to me.
yeah, they don't want me having no 1 of 1.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Woof

Are the painted stripes going to cover the entire car?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yeah that would be a lot of money to pay for a hood.
Those hoods are made of unobtainium. Actually, dry carbon. Might as well be made of unobtainium because you can't get one unless you go through shelby...... no exceptions. I've pulled every string I could to get one and no go. The wet carbon hood isn't worth it to me. The weight savings isn't as significant as a dry carbon version. A friend has the 500 SE with the dry carbon..... wow it is light. Lift it with your pinky light.

If I was able to get one when I tried, I was going to do the CF vented front fenders. For me the proposition was all or none, so none it is.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The wet carbon hood isn't worth it to me. The weight savings isn't as significant as a dry carbon version.
Do you know what the weight difference is, Tom?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Do you know what the weight difference is, Tom?
P
Off the top of my head about 15 pounds off of the wet carbon fiber. The wet carbon fiber to OEM is something like a 10 pound difference.

So the dry carbon is well worth the difference. Wet carbon? Eh, not so much, but 10 pounds is 10 pounds. It all adds up.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
P
Off the top of my head about 15 pounds off of the wet carbon fiber. The wet carbon fiber to OEM is something like a 10 pound difference.

So the dry carbon is well worth the difference. Wet carbon? Eh, not so much, but 10 pounds is 10 pounds. It all adds up.
Thanks, yeah that’s a pretty good amount of weight savings with the dry carbon. I can also see the wet carbon being a good option if you’re stacking weight savings in other places as well and are looking to save every lb you can.

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
If I was able to get one when I tried, I was going to do the CF vented front fenders. For me the proposition was all or none, so none it is.
I went through a similar thought process, but it was after I had plunked down the deposit for the KR slot. I actually thought the new hood along with the vented front fenders might be too much, would look too over the top. But then I realized that’s crazy talk! Haha.

And honestly, the vented front fenders with the OEM hood still looks great in my opinion. I can count on a single hand how many GT500’s I’ve seen in person with the CF front fenders. They really do make the car look more menacing and super unique.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I can count on a single hand how many GT500’s I’ve seen in person with the CF front fenders. They really do make the car look more menacing and super unique.
The sad part is how close we were to getting fender vents from the factory. The car was penned that way from inception, and the design team went through a few iterations that were real world tested for validation. The fender liners were designed for a vented fender with an area that would have been open for air to escape and were never changed - they just never opened them up.

At some point Raj and Jamal left Ford and development priorities shifted with different people leading the development effort. The vents were killed. Oddly enough, there were additions that were not part of the original program such as the hood strut.

Interestingly, I think Ford performance gets it now whereas before I think they weren't so sure the average GT500 buyer wanted vents. They are a huge part of the GTD/GT3 car today and you even see functional venting in that location on vehicles such as the Bronco Raptor. My sense is the next GT500 "level" offering will indeed have them. Stylish and functional aero makes total sense.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
The sad part is how close we were to getting fender vents from the factory. The car was penned that way from inception, and the design team went through a few iterations that were real world tested for validation. The fender liners were designed for a vented fender with an area that would have been open for air to escape and were never changed - they just never opened them up.

At some point Raj and Jamal left Ford and development priorities shifted with different people leading the development effort. The vents were killed. Oddly enough, there were additions that were not part of the original program such as the hood strut.

Interestingly, I think Ford performance gets it now whereas before I think they weren't so sure the average GT500 buyer wanted vents. They are a huge part of the GTD/GT3 car today and you even see functional venting in that location on vehicles such as the Bronco Raptor. My sense is the next GT500 "level" offering will indeed have them. Stylish and functional aero makes total sense.
Agreed on all points. And I’m glad they left the fender liners with that design feature. Made it so much easier to cut them correctly when I installed the CF fenders on my car 😂. It would have been silly to install those things and not make the functional.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

One of the parents at my daughter’s school has a Bronco Raptor and I’ve noticed the fender vents last few times I’ve seen it. Looks good on the Bronco and more points for it being functional. Bronco Raptor looks like a badass vehicle too, I don’t think this particular person uses it as intended though.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think this particular person uses it as intended though.
I had a "reservation" in on a Bronco the second day they were available and after a near two year wait I gave up. The dealer I use eventually used that reservation for somebody else so they could buy one. Not long after, the dealer contacted me about a Raptor allocation. Not long after, Ford pulled the allocation for whatever reason but promised the dealer four trucks in return. Sigh. At the time, dealers struggled to obtain much in terms of inventory due to covid, supply chain, yada, yada, so I understood. Dealer is a great guy and he's gotta make a living, I get that. I gave up and put a down payment in on a Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro the day after that model was announced. It has been about a year now and those trucks still can't be ordered.

My Ford dealer contacted me again a few weeks ago with a Braptor allocation if I wanted it, at invoice. The caveat was that I had an hour or so to order it as it was going to be scheduled the next day. Crazy.

Bottom line, I ordered it and it was indeed scheduled in one day. How I use it...not sure. Maybe just to collect all the dropped panties for the Salvation Army - dunno. But I'm going to enjoy belching carbon all over the state of NY. That alone will keep me very happy.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Maybe just to collect all the dropped panties for the Salvation Army - dunno.
LMAO 🤣. Congrats on the Braptor! Heck yeah, spew that carbon all over NY.

The one I see at school is the only one I’ve seen around, so they’re definitely a rare bird

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never seen one in the wild. To be honest, in pictures, I almost throw up in my mouth a little as I honestly struggle with the flares. Don't get me wrong, I love a well done ride with flares and gigantic rubber underneath. But in the case of the Bronco Raptor, I think the name "Warthog" would have been wholly appropriate.

My ugly beast...

CLEANED B 3.jpg
Sponsored