Sponsored

Help! Does anyone know this 2015 Race Red Roush Mustang?

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
How did you verify the block is from a 2015 Fusion? Did you figure that out yourself through Google or something? Are you just trusting what someone else told you?

The mount bolt doesn't mean anything, there could be another explanation for that. And "there is an oil leak near that area" doesn't make any sense.

You said it was a "closed deck", how do you know that?
I don't "know" it is closed deck. I also don't know a lot about this motor. We searched the vin and found a salvage fusion with 138k miles that matched. Again, lot of unknowns with this car. The only things I know for sure is that no one wants to touch it. Tell me what you think based on this pic.. shouldn't that bottom hole have a bolt? Look above at the top bold.. see the weld? What on earth did they do!?

20220810_131808 (1).jpg
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I don't "know" it is closed deck. I also don't know a lot about this motor. We searched the vin and found a salvage fusion with 138k miles that matched. Again, lot of unknowns with this car. The only things I know for sure is that no one wants to touch it. Tell me what you think based on this pic..

20220810_131808 (1).jpg
I don't know if you took one, but a better pic with a visible VIN would be a start. And then what the car's VIN is.

I can't make out anything from that pic.

Skraight!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
I didn't read through the entire thread, but coming from the Focus RS crowd previously a lot of people run these blocks when they blew the stock short block as it was stronger.

There are a couple places on the 2.0 block that need to be "plugged" or welded from what I remember which may be what you see.

Usually they use the 2.3 internals, so they may have just used the block as it was cheap from the junkyard. For a while they were on national backorder new.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
I didn't read through the entire thread, but coming from the Focus RS crowd previously a lot of people run these blocks when they blew the stock short block as it was stronger.

There are a couple places on the 2.0 block that need to be "plugged" or welded from what I remember which may be what you see.

Usually they use the 2.3 internals, so they may have just used the block as it was cheap from the junkyard. For a while they were on national backorder new.
You might be right. This is why I said in the beginning it might of been done intentionally. I just wish I knew for sure what I was dealing with.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You might be right. This is why I said in the beginning it might of been done intentionally. I just wish I knew for sure what I was dealing with.
Short of a miracle or tearing the engine down I doubt you'll ever know.
You say it's running fine now with an oil leak. Fix the leak- or don't - and keep it until your situation is more advantageous.
Or trade it now and take the fiscal hit.
Or change the motor, either now or later.
You're obviously in an unenviable position but it could be tons worse.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
Short of a miracle or tearing the engine down I doubt you'll ever know.
You say it's running fine now with an oil leak. Fix the leak- or don't - and keep it until your situation is more advantageous.
Or trade it now and take the fiscal hit.
Or change the motor, either now or later.
You're obviously in an unenviable position but it could be tons worse.
You said it! Was just taking a long shot that maybe someone in the community would know of the car since praying ain't going to work :)

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
You said it! Was just taking a long shot that maybe someone in the community would know of the car since praying ain't going to work :)
sounds like everyone around here would never consider taking the motor out a rental car to put in their broken one 🤪

did roush do anything with this car? send them your vin.

Good luck man.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
sounds like everyone around here would never consider taking the motor out a rental car to put in their broken one 🤪

did roush do anything with this car? send them your vin.

Good luck man.
The Roush package for the RS1 was just cosmetic and bolt on parts. Exhaust was probably the only real performance part. Everything else was for looks. I didn't buy new and probably wouldn't pay an $8k premium but pre-owned was a nice bonus until I found out what I was dealing with, but this was not ford's problem or Roush's problem.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Can you get a decent view of the full casting number on the block? If so Ford must be able to give you the year and type of car it was first put in. I tried a google search to decode casting number and the sites I found all focused on the 1960's through the 1990's.

Sponsored
OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
Can you get a decent view of the full casting number on the block? If so Ford must be able to give you the year and type of car it was first put in. I tried a google search to decode casting number and the sites I found all focused on the 1960's through the 1990's.
I don't but I do have the print out ford gave me of the vin of the donor car which was a 2015 ford fusion fwd 2.0T. And judging by what I was told by the mechanics and looking at the motor mounts it seems correct.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I don't but I do have the print out ford gave me of the vin of the donor car which was a 2015 ford fusion fwd 2.0T. And judging by what I was told by the mechanics and looking at the motor mounts it seems correct.
So I'm a bit confused. If you have the donor car VIN number can't you track what it is exactly? From what I know even savage yards have to record VIN numbers in case of getting stolen cars.

One of the members here on the forum can get you the window sticker if you give him the VIN number. Unfortunetly I don't remember the members name.

Also, is there any rush getting this resloved? I'm sure if you put the word out you're in need of a 2.3 ecoboost engine with a complete history one will come available long before what you have fails completely. It's a crappy thing that got dumped on you but it sounds like the car is still usable.

Last edited:

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I would just keep the car for a while.

Try to fix any immediate issues and do some more digging on what kind of engine you actually have in the car now.

My guess is someone blew up their original engine, swapped in a different engine and made it fit, then sold the car because they didn't want to deal with it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find previous owners of cars? Maybe the OP could try and contact them.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
I would just keep the car for a while.

Try to fix any immediate issues and do some more digging on what kind of engine you actually have in the car now.

My guess is someone blew up their original engine, swapped in a different engine and made it fit, then sold the car because they didn't want to deal with it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find previous owners of cars? Maybe the OP could try and contact them.
I did try to find out who the owners were because the carfax doesn't tell you personal information about the owner but I called a couple of the dealers on the carfax and none would divulge any personal information on the owners so it was a dead end.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
So I'm a bit confused. If you have the donor car VIN number can't you track what it is exactly? From what I know even savage yards have to record VIN numbers in case of getting stolen cars.

One of the members here on the forum can get you the window sticker if you give him the VIN number. Unfortunetly I don't remember the members name.

Also, is there any rush getting this resloved? I'm sure if you put the word out you're in need of a 2.3 ecoboost engine with a complete history one will come available long before what you have fails completely. It's a crappy thing that got dumped on you but it sounds like the car is still usable.
The vin tells me that it is a fusion 2.0T block. But beyond that how do I know if it's stock? I stuck a borescope down into the cylinders and took pics. I was told it wasn't stock but it also has stock cams ( verified by me ) and stock intercooler, wastegate and turbo. So the question is - if you got a salvage block and built it up for performance wouldn't you also have an aftermarket intercooler/turbo/wastegate and possible cams? I know I would. So it's very questionable to me. But to your question there is no real rush while it's running.
Sponsored