Sponsored

Help! Does anyone know this 2015 Race Red Roush Mustang?

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
This is probably a long shot but does anyone know this car? I bought it from a dealer in Georgia who did not disclose that this car does not have the original motor. It is supposed to have the 2.3l ecoboost with 28k miles but it actually has a 2.0 block out of a 2015 ford fusion that may have had 138k miles. And I know that this could have been done intentionally because of the closed deck but I was told by 2 mechanics that the motor came out of a salvage yard and the other issue is that the motor has an oil leak, and no one will touch it because of the weld that was done to get a bolt into the block from the motor mount. The car has quite a few issues and I've tried to tune it and fix what I can, but my issue is not knowing what is in the car. Will it keep running? Was the motor from a salvage yard but then rebuilt? Was it just slapped into the car to sell it? I highly expected the car to die on me but it hasn't yet!

Any help would be appreciated. Would just love to find out if anyone out there knows this car and what the history is on it.

The car fax says the car was located in Arizona, Virginia and Hawaii.

20220810_131815.jpg

20230109_172950.jpg

20230109_172931.jpg
Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long ago did you purchase it and where? Also, did the dealer post any advertising indicating it is a 2.3L engine, etc?

Not sure what you paid, but I would cold call a few lawyers. I am not an attorney, but if the sale paperwork isn't in-line with what you received, you may be able to compel them to do a buy back.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
I already sued them and we settled but not on enough to really make up the difference after the lawyers took half. I know I had a strong case based on evidence they knew. Anyway, now I am just trying to figure out next steps - do I fix it? do I hope it lasts and fix it then? Do I just trade it in and get out from under it? You can see the dilemma...

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Excuse my nievete but what exactly did Roush do to it to carry their name? I see some body bits but what, if any, engine mods did they make?
As harsh as it sounds perhaps a "new" take out 2.3t might be less trouble. There are several complete engines on ebay in the $4500 range. At least you'd know what you have...

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The car has quite a few issues and I've tried to tune it and fix what I can
now I am just trying to figure out next steps - do I fix it? do I hope it lasts and fix it then? Do I just trade it in and get out from under it?
Sorry to hear what happened.

With what you've discovered so far and with still other issues unresolved, you're going to continue to lose money. Further, this appears to be one of those projects where the uncovering of one problem (engine) highlights still other issues (electrical, tunes/software, drivetrain, etc).

Finally, when the car is eventually sold, you'll lose yet again, relative to a car with an original engine.

If you are someone with moderate to advanced mechanical skills, tools and work access, the car might be worth your while. Otherwise, I'd think not.

I'm very antiseptic when dealing with such issues. I'd sell the car now for whatever you can, study what went wrong in the purchase process, lick your wounds, recover and move on.

A guess on my part: Arizona, Virginia and Hawaii have quite large military presences. Could be the previous owner/s was in the military, moving from base-to-base.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What a clap cake of a surprise. You got hosed.
"But it was a good deal", folks get what one pays for every time.... Best advice I could have, call carvona, wave goodbye.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear what happened.

With what you've discovered so far and with still other issues unresolved, you're going to continue to lose money. Further, this appears to be one of those projects where the uncovering of one problem (engine) highlights still other issues (electrical, tunes/software, drivetrain, etc).

Finally, when the car is eventually sold, you'll lose yet again, relative to a car with an original engine.

If you are someone with moderate to advanced mechanical skills, tools and work access, the car might be worth your while. Otherwise, I'd think not.

I'm very antiseptic when dealing with such issues. I'd sell the car now for whatever you can, study what went wrong in the purchase process, lick your wounds, recover and move on.

A guess on my part: Arizona, Virginia and Hawaii have quite large military presences. Could be the previous owner/s was in the military, moving from base-to-base.
I thought the same. Someone (he) was probably in the millitary. And you're right moving on would be my preferred option if I wasn't in the middle of buying a house. Finances are tight right now and I'm weighing options. The cheaper option is usually to fix your car vs trading it in and having 6 years of payments with another depreciating asset.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
Excuse my nievete but what exactly did Roush do to it to carry their name? I see some body bits but what, if any, engine mods did they make?
As harsh as it sounds perhaps a "new" take out 2.3t might be less trouble. There are several complete engines on ebay in the $4500 range. At least you'd know what you have...
Probably the most sensible option for sure.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Lawyers took half?

What?

Iā€˜m no lawyer either, but now that you obviously know about the problem you cannot sell, trade or otherwise lay it off on some unsuspecting person or dealer without exposing yourself to civil jeopardy. You gotta disclose it.

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well....tell us.

How much did you get? Was it enough to put a clean, low mileage 2.3T in it?

I'm intrigued about the closed deck block. I am given to understand that 2.3s had both open and closed deck designs, based on changes made to the block.

OP
OP

gvincent1209

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
Well....tell us.

How much did you get? Was it enough to put a clean, low mileage 2.3T in it?

I'm intrigued about the closed deck block. I am given to understand that 2.3s had both open and closed deck designs, based on changes made to the block.
It is not enough to put a new motor in. The lawyers took half because it was a settlement and the laywer fee was $4k. To go to court would of taken years. Anyway, I don't know exactly what was done to this car hence the reason I'm trying to find out the history on it.
Sponsored